Building a ply dinghy.

Page  <12345 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:00pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

I I have plans for both the Bateau OB17 

I was the first to build the OB17 and got a second set of plans for free as a result of this.
Great boat and fun to build.

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:31pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Looking great one way. Try grinding a nice circular arc on a cheap metal putty knife to help get nice big fillets. Its worth getting all your joint tape ready to go so once all your zip ties are snipped and coving done you can apply your biaxel (?) tape to achieve a nice chemical bond between fillet and fiberglass.
Have a look at the Bowdidge website if you want ideas for another project. Mark designs fantastic boats.  

Will be 400g biaxial. Should be enough to hold together. 400 is overkill, twice what the plans specify, but it was either that or 200g woven. I'd rather overbuild than underbuild. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 7:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

There were a few seams that came out perfect, and more than a few that look like the epoxy monster vomited all over them. I have no plans to glass until I can get the inside of the boat sanded and the lumps and bumps knocked down.

Then some consistent fillets and glass tape wet on wet. 

On the bright side I spent an hour of quality time with my oscillating multi tool and its silicon carbide head... Many more hours to come I am sure.

I am aiming for a workboat by use, and somewhat better by appearance. I want the appearance to be good enough so I can practice the skills and not be ashamed to admit that I made it. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:33am
Platinum
Platinum

Sanding, sanding, sanding. I won't post here again unless there are any questions or until I have actual progress to report. 

Takeaways: 

Epoxy holds very strong, don't overdo the tack welding and get a decent fillet tool! I used a lot lot more than I needed. 

Spending more time stitching evenly pays in spades when it comes time to glue and fair. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:22am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[/QUOTE]

I was the first to build the OB17 and got a second set of plans for free as a result of this.
Great boat and fun to build.

[/QUOTE]

How does the OB17 handles a short sharp chop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

There is plenty of info on Bateau about them. The FS17 is the better boat in a chop as it can run at any speed with no planing hump. The ob17 has a bit more deadrise but isn't as smooth in a chop. Higher top speed and takes a load better apparently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

I have the plans for the ob17 but won't build it. I can sell them for half what I paid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Govtgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 3:24am
Govtgirl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have any of you tried Flexseal on the joints? Advertised heavily in US as monster holding tape even in water, but don't know how it would do over time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:14am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is plenty of info on Bateau about them. The FS17 is the better boat in a chop as it can run at any speed with no planing hump. The ob17 has a bit more deadrise but isn't as smooth in a chop. Higher top speed and takes a load better apparently.

I'm surprised to read that, I thought a flat bottomed skiff would be awful in chop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

The FS17 has a flat deadrise at the transom. At the cutwater where it matters it is 25 degrees. If you slow down in a chop it should give a smooth ride for a boat of its size and type. Since the boat can be driven at any speed it should possible to find a speed that fits the conditions. 

That information is straight from the designer, looking at the plans and reports of the many people who have built the boat, not from my own experience.

Seaworthy is a subjective term. Each boat is seaworthy but they behave in a different way.
The FS17 will run smoother in a formed sea but as you guessed, be less stable at rest or slow speed. The C17 will have a more snappy roll.
The FS17 will handle semi-planing speeds better than the C17 but the C17 can take more HP and will have a higher top speed. 

-Jacques Mertens. (comparing to the C17, a much bigger boat.) 

By the by most NZ boats have a definite transition to plane. The choice is often either planing at 35-40km/h or wallowing at 10km/h. It is not easy to find a boat that will efficiently travel at semidisplacement. Pangas are the only ones I can think of offhand, also flat bottom over the back half of the boat and also known to eat up rough water at appropriate speeds. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:28pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Govtgirl Govtgirl wrote:

Have any of you tried Flexseal on the joints? Advertised heavily in US as monster holding tape even in water, but don't know how it would do over time

If you mean using it to stitch the joints together, then I would try it. 

I am not aware of anything better than epoxy and fibreglass for a permanent joint. It penetrates the ply, is stronger than the wood as a glue, wets out glass fibres to form a composite, is waterproof, inert when cured, can have fillers added for different applications, acts as a primer for paint, will not rust rot or corrode. Whats not to like?

The only thing to watch is UV. 

Just looked at the ad. 

I wouldn't use that on the wood. It might interfere with the epoxy. Possibly as an outer spray, but there are many tested paint options. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Update on the dinghy. Spent an hour tonight sanding, and about 5hours over the weekend. I am almost ready to put glass on, but I really want to do the best work I can, even for a first attempt. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 10:52am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

By the by most NZ boats have a definite transition to plane. The choice is often either planing at 35-40km/h or wallowing at 10km/h. It is not easy to find a boat that will efficiently travel at semi-displacement.

That's one thing I do like about my boat.  It will stay on the plane in the chop at 15 knots and in flat water at 13 knots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Fibreglassed the back compartment today. As this will be covered, out of sight and filled with polystyrene beads (I will bag them and have a hole for ventilation I think) I did this as my first attempt at glassing.

I took the boat outside to warm up in the sun, and put the epoxy in a warm place for a couple of hours. 

I first went over my sanded, resanded and wetsanded first filleting job with neat resin. I brushed the remainder over where the fibreglass tape will go and over the bottom. 

Then I went over the fillets with about 125ml of resin thickened with silica (westsystem 406). I used a plastic spoon to make the fillets and found this much better than the last week. I applied the goop with a spoon where needed and used the spoon several times to form the fillet, then the plastic fibreglass spreader to remove excess off the sides and then spoon again. I went over each fillet several times before I was happy. I then painted over the fillet with neat epoxy with a chip brush brushing away from the fillet to smooth things out. 

Went inside to take a break, have something to eat and let the fillets firm up. 

I had already cut the tape to size but had not cut slits in the end to help it go around the corners. So I got some epoxy over our good kitchen scissors. (Now cleaned off I hope!)

I wet out the fibreglass tape (I didn't count carefully but I think I got about a 40% glass content after using excess resin to wet the wood sides.) I applied one layer of tape, wet it out then applied the second layer on top. I did have issues with the odd bit of stitching getting caught in my brush and getting pulled out and the little bits of glass near the edges of the cut tape pulling out and making all kinds of mess. Photos of the worst spots.

After all was done and all the glass was transparent I ran the brush and spreader over the fillets applying a fair bit of pressure to ensure the glass was firmly down, and to try and remove any air bubbles. There were a few places where the tape lifted up here thanks to the friction of the spreader and needed to be pushed back using the brush and my gloved fingers. 

Later I used a clean brush to go over the whole surface, pushing down errant threads, popping air bubbles, and smoothing over drips and runs. 

Took about 3 hours start to finish. According to the plans I should have been able to fillet, tape and epoxy coat the entire inside in that time. I can see an expert doing it that fast, but I am happy to keep plodding along. 

For a first attempt, I am content. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

First photo is a close up on the roughest spot. The glass fibres got loose and made a heck of a mess. This will be covered by either the seat top or the outboard clamping pad so no biggy. 

The next two photos taken by my daughter as I was glassing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 8:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The glass fibres got loose and made a heck of a mess.

Must be knocked back, someone reach upder the seat, they will slice their hand open or snap a dag off in a finger

knock them back with some 40 or 80 grit sand paper.
 inside curves to make lay down better, little more filler in inside joint for bigger radius, and/ or lay some rovings in the cnr, wet out then glass over.
For going over outside  edges, round them off with a router or disk sander....
Lot of hints on current parallel thread on rebuilding sea nyph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I'll go over the whole thing with a sander and put on another coat of epoxy. This whole area will likely be sealed away though and not reachable unless someone cuts into it to put a hatch in. I will still do the neatest work I know how at the time. 

For the next inside corners I may cut the two horizontal cloths a bit shorter so they don't quite reach each other. Then go over with a third bit of tape. I will also try using a foam roller for wetting out. (Hoping it won't drag the tape around.)

I love this project.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:25am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work  My first ever attempt at filleting and taping looked a lot worse than that and I wasn't working in tight confines

When it's partially cured the little stray fibres can be cut off easily with heavy duty scissors.   Needs to be past the sticky stage but not so far gone it's hard to cut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will also try using a foam roller for wetting out.

Dont bother get a couple ribbed roller .. they are designed for rolling out.. difference in speed and quality is huge.
Couple.. well will lay odds that you will push curing / cleaning down a roller and end up it glued up permanently.. saves having to stop and get another later...

For the next inside corners I may cut the two horizontal cloths a bit shorter so they don't quite reach each other. Then go over with a third bit of tape
 instead of experimenting. messing around.. either pre radius with filler... and if raduis little small, layer wetted out rovings then glass directly over them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 5:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

I already have the roller heads. Short mohair so I will try them. I am planning to get a laminating roller as well.  I was hesitating over one for a while when ordering supplies and kind of regretting not getting it now. I understand that a heat gun will get epoxy off almost any metal tool?  

The tape went around my fillets well. The issue was just getting all the overlaps to lay down flat. 

Really appreciate the advice Steps. 

Page  <12345 8>