Building a ply dinghy.

Page  <1234 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 8:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Talk about getting stuck in One Way! Good work. Second that on home made boats not selling well. When I bought my current boat there was a stunning looking CC for sale. It didn't suit what I wanted but it was so tempting. It just didn't look right for bar crossings but was  a beautifully crafted 6m with a Yamaha 150 on the back all only a couple of years old. It sold for 18k.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep agreed. You build home builds for the love of doing it yourself. At best you get back the cost of your materials. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction crafting a boat in your back yard/garage...And is also very addictive . Funnily enough when it comes to building a mid sized  boat the cheapest part of the entire build is the hull itself.  Still though, its a great kiwi tradition to have a go yourself. Its never failed to amaze me at what ordinary people with little or no wood working experience can knock up in there sheds! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 10:26pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Count me as a one of those woodworking novices. I can read and follow instructions though. Ironically once I started reading about building I became aware of all sorts of cost cutting measures used by the pros where an amateur would do a better job. Take the sea nymph rebuild thread. Those stringers should have been epoxy encapsulated. Most fiberglass boat makers drill holes in their transom and use sealant. I'd drill over diameter, fill with thickened epoxy and then drill the bolts. No possibility of water getting to the wood. I would pay a fair price for a homebuild but I would need to know it was built right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 10:36pm
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.bateau2.com/free/D5_free_m.PDF

Found a link to free plans here. I paid for more detail but the basic boat is the same.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is a great start One Way. 
You are learning from small beginnings.
But be careful it is life consuming - creating boats out of wood (a marvellous material).
I started with an 8 foot Plylite pram dinghy kitset.....caught more trout in that boat than any since. It was painted green for duck shooting season.
And my largest creation - to build this;

Yes they just get bigger.....do not tell the wife.
But everyday I worked on it I enjoyed. 3.5years from plans being drawn until launching. I did have a professional boatbuilder help me with the challenging parts and he taught me lots about dealing with wood.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 1:26pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As the plans have loftings I'd be tempted to digitise them and have it CNC cut ... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

If I had my own CNC router I would be tempted as well. As it is drawing and cutting isn't a major hassle, just part of the project. I am part way through cutting out the frames. My dremel blade is getting old and starting to burn the wood. Hopefully it will last long enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Frames and 2 out of three seat tops cut. The last seat top will have a big hole in it for the anchor etc. slight cutting mistake in a couple of frames but hopefully that will disappear once it's covered in epoxy fillets.

That's a 600mm ruler for scale. It would have helped to buy a large set square.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

I spent about three hours stitching and wrestling with hull panels. Bigger boats are built on a jig and now I can see why. Most of the panels seem to be falling into place though it took a while to get everything lined up. I bought a packet of 300 cable ties and a good thing too! 

I am trying to have everything less than 1cm from where it should be. It takes a lot of tying, cutting and retying. I will probably need to screw a corner down. If I can get it mostly symmetrical then that will do. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:00am
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:16am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow.  I'm impressed you can build that without a jig. 

Can you tell us a bit more about the aluminium powder coating that will go on the hull. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:51am
Platinum
Platinum

I was impressed too. Because it's not a planing hull it won't matter much if it's not completely symmetrical. I am not done with the stitching yet as I want to get it as close as I can. I figure that will mean less grinding and fairing later.

The aluminum powder is a west system additive. Apparently it adds UV resistance and makes the surface harder. You can add as much as you want as long as you can spread it. I've never used it; this is my first build and first time using epoxy or fiberglass.

When I get to it I'll try on a scrap and try scratching it with a rock or knife.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Today I finished stitching. Used a carbide head on a multi tool to sand down one of the assymetrical frames as it was applying uneven pressure to the bottom. Frames held in place with cable ties and the odd temporary nail. No metal fasteners remain in the boat. All holes will be drilled to 4mm and filled with epoxy.

Duck tape arround all external seams to help hold but mainly to stop epoxy leaking through when I glue and fillet the inside.

I'm done with assembly. Diagonal measurements are 2420mm and 2440mm. A difference of 0.8%. I can get them identical by applying a bit of pressure and may do that when I glue if I can figure out an easy way.

Need to wait for a 24hr period with temperatures above 5 degrees to build the inside seams.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:56am
Platinum
Platinum

Learned a neat trick too late to use it. When drawing out the panels, I at times struggled with getting perpendicular lines more than a short distance from the edge of the wood. Line up two panels of ply, and slide one across the other so the sides are aligned. Then draw perpendicular lines using the edge of a sheet of ply as a guide. The hull markings on my plans were at a typical distance of 305mm, so that's how far apart the lines should be. Then mark the offsets directly on the typical lines. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:26pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking good. Enjoy the rest of the build.

For some motivation I finished this little 2 sheet dinghy recently for my boys initially as a sand pit but I glued and fibre glassed all the joints with the future in mind for them to take on the briny.
Not sure exactly how it will go, but as soon as they are over the sand pit it will be getting a new coat of paint and will be tried and tested initially in the pond then hopefully on the harbour afterwards.

Great little project that cost about $200.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Glued the inside. Wetted out most seams with epoxy. I then used epoxy thickened with fumed silica (west system filler) and a ziplock bag as a dispenser. Took about 3 hours. I tried to use a mixing stick and the rounded corner of the fiberglass spreader to give a neat finish and a radius but I will probably need to redo them when I glass the seams anyway. Used a heat gun and soaked the epoxy bottles in warm water to try and get things flowing nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

For those wondering. The cable ties will be removed or at least ground flush once the glue cures. Then I will be back to fill the gaps, build correct sized fillets and fiberglass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:45pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good thread OneWayTraffic, enjoying your updates
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 7:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's been a real learning experience. I must admit to thinking about building bigger. I have plans for both the Bateau FS17 and OB17 and have been pondering other, bigger designs. In NZ most trailer boats follow a particular layout, and the bigger the boat the bigger the motor. There's a lovely Mac600 on trademe. I would love to own one, the price is fair, but a 115 Tohatsu twostroke that uses 50l an hour at full throttle, and a 1000kg tow weight puts me off. 

Building, I have seen semi planing, lower speed hulls that get 40km per hour on 50hp, weighs under 500kg fully rigged out, and is over 6m long!  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:19pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking great one way. Try grinding a nice circular arc on a cheap metal putty knife to help get nice big fillets. Its worth getting all your joint tape ready to go so once all your zip ties are snipped and coving done you can apply your biaxel (?) tape to achieve a nice chemical bond between fillet and fiberglass.
Have a look at the Bowdidge website if you want ideas for another project. Mark designs fantastic boats.  
Page  <1234 8>