Southen Bluefin on STICKBAIT Trip report

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (22) Likes(22)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southen Bluefin on STICKBAIT Trip report
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:18am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With all this talk of southern bluefin on F..net and facebook the idea of heading down to Waihau Bay to chase them went from talk over a couple of beers to a 6 hour car ride and for the boys towing the boat an 8 hour slug!

The plan started on a Wednesday avo while some of the boys were in the shop having some beers after work and the idea of bluefin was bought up with a nice weather window appearing for the weekend.
The plan was leave friday avo, fish saturday and drive home sunday and hopefully get a chance at a bluefin trolling lures.

While rigging lures and getting jigging gear ready i also threw in a stickbaiting rod and a couple casting lures with the intention of if we saw them busting it would be the ultimate way to catch one but never thought i would actually get the opportunity.

So after the 6 hour drive down we arrived late that night and set the alarm for 4:30am to make sure we would be on the water well before daylight and hopefully arrive at the grounds on daybreak!
only one problem and as we back the boat in we have a few tech difficulties as the engine wasnt wanting to start but we soon sorted the problem and now heading wide after a 20min delay.
while steaming out in the dark the sky started to show some light and only half way to where we were heading we came into a pod of dolphins
The call was to stop and set the gear.
While startig to get the boat ready my mate cory calls
...bluefin....
which i responded bull sh*t
he then swore on his life and so we both started trying to put our top water gear together as fast as we could.
after tying my lure on i looked around to see for any splashes but all i could see was dolphins so made a cast towards them and started sweeping while cory was still rigging
mid way through my retrieve I announced "imagine how cool the bite must be from one of these" and just after those words left my mouth a tuna left the water with my stickbait in its mouth completely air born ShockedShockedShockedShocked
BLUEFINNNNNN!!!!!
and my reel just started screaming as it power dove straight down on a 200m+ run
I just had to keep dialing the drag trying to slow the fish, as soon i had 250m out and only 50m of line left.
but as fast as it run down it turned around and charged straight back 150m while i was trying to keep up.
After the initial run it began to plug down deep and settled in for the fight
Which on a 8 foot 3 inch casting rod was extremely painful  
but after around 30 minutes we could just start to see colour and it did one last run down another 50m but the fish was tired and it pin wheeled back up and soon we had it in the boat much to my relief

Side note: because i didnt think id ever get to cast at one of these fish i just picked up some lures i kingy fish with which all have barbless trebles and once in the boat the lure just fell out Confused

This was truly a dream fish for me and something i never dreamed of doing or having the opportunity but I hope I get to try it again as the bite was something i will never be able to remove from my mind.........
 but maybe once my back recovers Ouch

So far i havnt heard of anyone else that has caught a SBT on a stickbait in NZ but i maybe wrong that this might be a first???

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:12am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1 hour and 52mins and not one comment?!...wow…life has really dried up in here these days!!

Stunning effort Luke….reckon you'd be right in claiming that one as the first!!….Was just talking to Little Reefer on Friday and I mentioned organizing a trip to Tasmania to target them on stick baits….he said "these fish of the cape are very stickbaitable!"…..and there ya go….just like that!…yeeehaaa!!

Any other shots?

Well done you and the crew!!...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:15am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome Luke well done .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:15am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Damn!

some of us have to work kezza Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:42am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, that's amazing. I can't comprehend how tough that would have been.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 12:03pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good one Luke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 12:34pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mean!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:25pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome fish well done! Did you weigh it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:27pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great effort !!!!!

I'd put the stickbait in a frame with the top photo and a plaque and have it on the wall of the pool room. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 2:50pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by GSPOT GSPOT wrote:

Great effort !!!!!

I'd put the stickbait in a frame with the top photo and a plaque and have it on the wall of the pool room. 

Thats the plan! have done it with my pb kingy and marlin on stickbait

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wopass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:05pm
wopass View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im far too jealous to comment...

Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stunning Luke!!!! The Story, The Fish, The Pics.....Liked.  P.S. Wot happens to the fish now- mount it, eat it if so wot are they like, or can a rec fisho send one off to auction? Cheers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:21pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A New Zealand first! Worth putting your back out for. Awesome effort. Get any video?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:25pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Stunning Luke!!!! The Story, The Fish, The Pics.....Liked.  P.S. Wot happens to the fish now- mount it, eat it if so wot are they like, or can a rec fisho send one off to auction? Cheers.....

After photos fish was gutted gilled and trunked then put on ice for best eating quality.

And nah rec guys cant sell em

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:26pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JW JW wrote:

A New Zealand first! Worth putting your back out for. Awesome effort. Get any video?

No footage of the bite but we have the end fight on video which ill put on facebook soon

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:27pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody mean as, great catch Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:35pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How many pairs of Maui Jims does one man need!? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:09pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So awesome!!!
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:12pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very well done... I bet Cory is going to have his rod rigged before he even gets into car next time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:34pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Incredible effort Luke, congrats, that'll be hard to topCoolClapClap
Page  12>