Rapala Magnum Deterioration

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapala Magnum Deterioration
    Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First, apologies if there's a better place for this post and I've got it wrong - but hey, with what's happening around East Cape and Gisborne right now, maybe it's the perfect place.

I got hold of a couple of Rapala Magnum 30s to try out a while back, thinking they could be useful for kingfish and maybe tuna.

The big plastic bibs they have now are supposed to be a great improvement because of the depth they allow and because they remain aligned better.

I've had the lures out the back only once for a test run, trolling at around 7kts. They would have been in the water for maybe half an hour. One ran perfectly but the other is a problem.

The thing is, the bibs have ended up pretty badly crazed - to the point where they're partially opaque and look like they've been weakened.

They are rigged on a length of 105lb single strand trolling wire (diameter around 0.56mm) and that was attached to a leader of about 2m of 100lb fluorocarbon, then to braid (rigging for depth).

It looks almost as if trolling stresses have affected them.

They haven't been left anywhere hot, out in the sun etc, and they were washed etc before I put them away. No chemicals.

Anyone else had this 'crazy' problem? Is it a problem, or considered normal? Is it a Rapala thing, or are others similarly inclined?

It's not entirely that they're hugely expensive - but IF this crazing is a failure and makes them ineffective it's better to bin them now and let people know, than see millions of hours and tonnes of fuel wasted towing them.

And I've still got to work out why one of the lures tracked off to one side. I'm expecting it to be a rigging issue but I have yet to check.

Are any of the bluefin being caught at the moment being snagged by bibbed lures?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 3:31pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got several and use them a lot. They have been battered and smashed by a lot of fish with sharp teeth (lost a few for same reason). I don't have any crazed bibs that I recall, but doubt this has affected them. The tuning of them is minutely critical. I have had them track straight then next time veer off. Fish hitting them can affect them. Sometimes I wonder if dropping them on the boat floor has damaged them. I place them carefully now. But the adjustments that make them swim straight/and not, are very small. Tweek the bib eye slightly in the direction it is tracking. If it tracks out to the other side, you went too far. If you can see the difference in the eye position, you probably went too far. It is so minute it is wonder any of them swim straight right out of the box.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:41pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've had trouble with the newer single-hook model (larger bibs) when using single wire. I think it's from the wire getting a small kink and effecting the rapala. I haven't had the same problem with 7-wire or mono.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:20am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A small kink would be the same as tweeking the towing eye. Pulling it from slightly off-center. The bigger bibs would be more sensitive to the alignment.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:16am
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys.  Experience counts.  I have run older Rapalas before (never on wire) and had a bit of fun realigning tc, so I was interested when one of these newer 'slew-proof' ones went slightly West (literally).  Also, obviously, the original metal bibs never went crazy.  I'll def try mono on the wonky one - I have looked at the wire but sometimes these things are, as you say - a matter of minute adjustment.

Your point about the issues being more pronounced in the ones with bigger bibs is very relevant.   More water pressure would magnify any tiny steering aberration, and these lures concentrate water pressure exponentially.  Much greater water pressure + wire/ braid combination (with a short mono/ fluoroleader) - a more 'unforgiving' connection even using rods with flexi tips - will definitely be stressing those bibs and I'm guessing that any resulting flex could cause the crazing.  They do run deep.

Aberration, or maybe "biberration", in this case - if you're running bibbed lures that is a magnificent term for saving time if the fish are biting...  Not sure it'll fly though.

BTW - I just want to clarify that this isn't a whinge.  I'm conscious of not having an unfair 'go' at a brand.  Plenty of folk use Rapalas and already I'm getting helpful info.  Also, I could swap to Brand -X with big bibs and have exactly the same issues arise, due to something I'm doing that ain't right, or 'too right', where somehow I've managed to get them diving deeper than they can handle (excess pressure).    Want to be clear about that, and that's also why I'm waiting before I put up a couple of pics of the bibs in question - could be related to something I've done.  Even the grandkids sometimes veer left if their bibs are crooked (I struggle).

The supplier hasn't hesitated in offering to take them back if I want, so no worries there.  Basically, I'm stuck ashore looking after grandkids, our home launch beach is being hammered by nasty swells, and my recreational budget is completely smoked while a 'child' pays off some new ute tyres... and I've been driven almost insane reading about Southern Bluefin!!!  It's probably just that I've got too much time on my hands! (and these lures were something I'd 'meant to get around to sometime'...)

Thanks again guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 1:08pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree - these minor issues could affect any brand and the larger bib magnifies.  I do rate the magnum30 single hook lurers though as they have served me well and better than the older metal CDs. Some people prefer the CDs, and it could just be a matter of getting the set-up right.  I'm pretty keen to try the Nomad DTXs as they look great - designed to catch the fisherman or the fish? We'll see. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:33pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New Nomads??? Uh ohhh... Lol! I'll just have a quick look....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:02pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In regards to wire, kinks are a burger and will impede action.
So options also include flexible plastic coated wire,
And make the connection to the bib free in movement without wrapping eye and swivel at line end.
Otherwise gear to replace and or back to mono, no good for toothy zones though.

Good on your supplier.

In respect of the crazing, I was thinking that there are a couple of possible causes, excessive sun and or schock from dropping.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:41pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a mate who buys X raps by the box load (loose quite a few to toothy critters). most of what I am towing are his cast offs. He doesn't have the time/patience to persevere to get the wonky ones swimming right. At a guess - 20-30%.
So it is not unusual to have trouble with one out o the box. Like I say, the adjustments are minute - especially on the deep divers (we are running 30's). But it is worth knowing they can be fixed, in the boat. but sometimes you might stuff around with one several times. 
What I tend to do is play with the problem one while trolling other stuff. Hours of boredom followed by minutes of mayhem. In the hrs of boredom you do have time to tweek a rapala and toss it over the side - I often just hang on to the leader. 30 secs will tell you if you got it right - if not, haul in and tweek again. Sometimes it is hard to know if you made a difference - too small to see. Only tossing it over the side will tell.
When it starts swimming out the other side, you know you went too far. To avoid constantly playing with them, if I have one or two that want to swim slightly L or R I simply rig them on the appropriate side so they swim away from each other (you can mark the bib with a felt pen if you want.
I do enjoy towing around my mates cast offs, when they swim dead straight.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:15pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Alan - what's your friend's contact number, hahaha!!! Friends like that...

I'm tarred with the same feathers mate, bored shirtless most of the time trolling and amusing myself usually by trimming lure skirts, rerigging, playing with sounder settings, or yelling out FISH!!! if I see anyone asleep (,not really). Once, everyone except me was asleep so I did a whole heap of fuel calcs to keep busy. They all woke up and wondered where the **** we were coz there was no land anywhere 😬 All of which doesn't sound as much fun as tweaking Raps...

And that pic of the lure helps too...

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:02pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Geez, 20-30% that don't run straight out of the box, lol! They don't tell you that in the blurb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, 20-30% would be my non-valid, statistical guess, having fished with him, on his boat enough to inherit a bunch of rapalas. I'm not sure I have purchased one, and a I have a reasonable collection. He runs them for a minute, they flip out of the water to one side, so he ditches it and pulls another out of the box.  
His Ph No starts 0061, if that is any use.
I tried single strand wire once - with the first one he gave me. Towed it for months, for zero. Then finally got a hit. Boom, gone in 5 secs. Chopped off.  I use 200lb mono now. Looking at Fluorocarbon 200lb, but just priced some couple of days ago. At $60 for 10m I will probably stick with the mono.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:28pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dont worry Alan, I'd already added the fisherman factor to the 20-30% with a full understanding that it could vary if the moon is full.

I have to say too, there is a subtle nuance floating around that amputated phone number that hints vaguely at an unbrotherly reluctance to share the spoils of your mate's very particular taste in lure geometry 😂😂

I mentioned elsewhere on here recently that Hooker does a 60% fluoro blend leader. 150lb - 50m spool, $27.00 + freight. Not everyone's cup of tea but perhaps worth a try. I like it... I figure you can utilize the extra abrasion resistance in one of two ways, and one of those is to downsize a little and get more bites yet also retain (much of?) the reliability of the heavier mono. 150lb might be too little off the end of the peanut slab for you but maybe not.   - The balancing act never ends...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:15am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that - I will order a spool today. Yes, always a balancing act. I keep downsizing once I get a system that seems to work. 
My mate is in Perth, and the lures are in Vanuatu - so they have to get past me before they get to you :-)
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member