Berley pot rope

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berley pot rope
    Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:09pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi,

Any suggestions on ways to keep your berley rope tidy while easy to retrieve and drop? My mate uses a stick which is a pain on retrieve. Was thinking of using a hand line. but have concerns around the rope being too long. There are handline units that have a winder to retrieve which look ok but not robust.
I have tried a google search but found only ads for pots themselves.
Any tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Si
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:11pm
Silver
Silver

Damn autocorrect....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use 30m x 3.5mm braid, any thinner and gets hard on the hands.. wound onto a $20 (ex mitre 10) extension cord reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Si

I have a metre long rope spliced into the bottom of my anchor rope just above where it attaches to the chain. I tie my berley bag to that. It's all good til you forget about it sitting in the anchor well
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Further to the above reel.. the line has loops tied every meter. these go into a carabina that sits either side on the rails on the gunnels.
ALWAYS hang the reel off the helm....ALWAYS
that way you dont forget to pull it in.

Hooking onto anchor is ok when have big tides/ currents (Manukau harbour) running that a breeze doesnt turn the  boat/ lines off the burly trail.. even a couple meters makes a big difference...
The other disadvantage is unless have big current, the burly doesnt disperse well  espec in the colder winter / bottom water temps.. on a rope can partly pull up jerking it (dispenses a trail thru a lot of the water column down the current) , or shake every so often.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:29am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

longline reel that sits in one of the rod holders works a treat
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:05pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most long line reels dont fit in most rod holders.
They will fit, rather loose, in a seat pedesta.. and if do get one of the clamp bolt on rod holders, the insert fits nice on the long line and shims the seat pedestal well.
 If use a clamp type rod holder, dont trust it to wind either a long line or burly pot with full weight on it.
 Also a long line reel plus the stem is rather inconvenient and bulky to have around the deck all the time, where as the much smaller extension lead reel tucks away well....and is $100 +cheaper.
Down side of the ext lead reel...it eventually rusts out after a good 5 or 6yrs of consistent use, with regular spray with marine crc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CarlW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:24pm
CarlW View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use a large bucket and store the rope and wobbly pot in there when not in use, then when required the pot goes over the side and the rope feeds out of the bucket. Then the reverse when retrieving the pot - rope is fed into the bucket [doesn't have to be tidy] then pot sits on top and lid goes on. Added bonus - when you're pulling up a half used burley to move spots, all the dripping melting 'goodness' of the burley is contained in the bucket rather then all over the deck.
“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:07pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use one of these works well

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:38am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with carlW
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:05am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stormbringer Stormbringer wrote:

I use one of these works well

x2
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm Going to try that reel..
 My 1st reel like that was solid..  did not have the centre piece that the reel part turns on.... If not manually turned to wind on or off, the burly line got a lot of twists in it.
This resulted an a tangle/ knots if pulled in and line laid on the floor, before winding on. ?I did think hanging out the back would unwind but didnt seem to do so.
Also tend to knot if  when hanging , pulled up quick 1/2/ 3/4 of meter and dropped.
 Hence why I went to the electrical cable reel

Definitely one of those hand reels that turn around the centre is on the shopping list now.... far more compact..Can be dropped (stowed) in on top of the burly pot in its drum, rather than the current reel sitting under my seat on the floor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:21pm
Silver
Silver

Hi, thanks so much for all the responses. I saw those hand line winders in smart marine. Around $20. Had already sorted a temporary solution. By chance i bought some clothes line amd it came on a plastic holder. Bought this at Bunnings. It has cleats and requires manually winding on and off. So not ideal but good for now. will move to the winder once this fails! Similar item at mitre 10....https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/jobmate-clothesline-cord-30m/p/246846...thanks again si
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 8:47pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CarlW is on to it.
Light line, less drag and more volume.
And a bucket, stores well and when it comes to wash down soak it up. A little suds. Do it in the boat and poor it over the floor when finished.
Put everything back in the bucket and dry store out of the sun so you don't UV damage the line or the rope cage.

Then have a beer, days finished.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Glad the thread has popped up again...
I decided to go out and get a reel like above.. was about $20..
Far better than my cable reel.. smaller stows better, hangs on the helm better , easier to use.

I used one of thse line winders  HLS mentions above.. bit clumsy
The hand casting reel, with 3mm braid.. little loops every 1m and a carbina on the gunnel. A plastic container ($2 shop) just big enough (diameter) the pot can drop straight into (can double for guys piddle pot so they dont dribble down the side of the boat.