Leader type/size and lb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leader type/size and lb
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:49am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, how's everybody??
I'm in the Azores, and although a lot of people don't know, we have in all 9 islands amazing land/rock based pelagic fishing. In some of the islands, in specific spots, we can get some bigger tuna (small tuna you can catch in every island basically everywhere), mahi mahi, huge greater amberjack and even wahoo. Big bluefish, silver trevallies, barracuda (the atlantic one) as well as almaco jacks and groupers are very common.
This year I'll hit in popping and stickbaiting 2 specific island looking for some big greater amberjack, wahoo and mahi mahi from the rocks (maybe some bigger tunas as well). Fish that might go to 20kg or above (easily in some places)...
Saying this, I normally fish here with 50lb to 60lb fluor leader. But I was looking at some shock leaders, and some doubts came to my mind...
Does it makes a lot of difference using fluorcarbon leader from shock leader?
What breaking strain (lbs) should I aim for? I fear that the 50lb to 60lb might be too short no? And How long should be my leader? Normally I use around 1.3 to 1.5m of leader.

I hope you guys can help me.

Cheers and tight lines from the Azores
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 7:59am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Pedro, I don't topwater fish off the rocks much but more off boats or my Jetski so not exactly the same game.
That said I prefer shock leader for casting topwater lures.
I generally use 130lb-170lb.
I also used to use relatively long leader (knot would be just above the reel) on a recent charter with Tony Orton he suggested I shorten the leader to the point the knot is just below/outside the top guide, which means the knot is not going through the guides. This results in longer cast distance, which I imagine is quite important for LBG fishing.
The other benefits of this shorter leader is you can use bigger diameter leader again because it's not going through your guides.
Actually thinking about it if you shorten the leader to have the knot outside guides no reason you couldn't use FC leader.
Again I'm not an experienced LBG Fisho just my thoughts.
Cheers Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:27am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Pete.
I've been fishing with the leader always out of the guides. But I've seen so many people using lots of leader and casting with the knot inside the reel that I wonder if I should try shock leader with a longer leader instead of using FC leader...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:35am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe try both scenarios to see which one feels best. I know for me I get much better casting distance with the shorter leader.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:00am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm old school in that I have the leader right through onto the reel . Fg. Knot goes through the guides fine and I like to use mono not fluro carbon for the shock absorbency . Preferred brands for me are Prosele and varivas . If I'm using Pe5 braid I'll use 110-130lb mono . Heavier braid you can use a heavier leader .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 3:26am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IMHO you need a longer leader around the bricks.......i always used a 4 to 6 metre leader.......but not flouro....its too stiff...has memory and is harder to tie knots...will often come off the spool and make a bloody mess as well.when you dont want it too.....a supple leader is most important.......varivas shock leader has been my choice every time(its thin for its breaking strain)....a short leader increases your chances of braid meeting structure.......If you have big guides and hang your lure down low and cast with power....you wont even hear your knot go through the guides and you can biff it a long way !.....there might be some trade off in distance but come fight time......you will stand a better chance and the fish will have to bust you off via your leader....which will be harder to do than via braid.....Leader is cheap....Braid is not.
 Use a good long rod ...a heavier lure and give it ****zzz....supple mono leader is the way to go for topwater casting......A good guide is leader double the weight of the poundage breaking strain of your braid ie50 pound braid/100 pound leader..... 65 pound braid= 130 pound leader......80 pound braid 150/160 pound leader etc....thats what i do anyways....Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.