Chasing Kings in the North - Kingfish carnage

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chasing Kings in the North - Kingfish carnage
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:08pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

There's one thing that the boys and I love to do on my far North trips and that is chasing Kings. Back in Feb saw Pea and I have a couple of epic days on the water off Doubtless Bay jigging for Kings, we have been chasing Kings in the North for the past 10-15yrs now as after catching plenty of big Reds we wanted to put a bit of buzz back into our fishing.

We had a spot that produced some solid Kings over the years but as of late the pin has stopped producing, we are unsure if the fish have just become wise, maybe the baitfish have gone or maybe it has been over fished? Every time we went to this spot we would catch a good 40-50 kings with all going back and us having to move on from being broken, the past 2-3yrs now we have been lucky to even get one...In saying that this year we tried another pin that over the years have only given us a handful of fish but last week it produced unlike never before with a good 40 plus Kings caught and released on the first day and a good 20 more on another and would have been more if we weren't broken...

It seems they have maybe moved to this new pin???

Each time we drifted the pin the sounder would light up and we would drop away and with a few cranks on the handle we would hook up, double hook ups each time unless you made it through the schools of Kings. Getting your King to the surface there were another 10-15 trying to take the jig from the hooked up King. There were a lot of rats around that 75-80cm but we did get to see some nice fish to 20kilo come up to have a look at the jig...

Pea and I caught a couple of nice Green backs to about 17kilo and plenty between 10-15kilo...

Also on one of our strayline mishes one afternoon we had a school of 30 odd Kings go by every now and then and it gave me a chance to use my new Slammer 6500, throwing out a sinking stickbait (Fish ink wing) would produce a mass of white water on the surface with all 30 fighting over it. I managed to hook up a few times and even if they dropped it it was smashed again instantly...

We now have a new spot and hope that it produces like this for a long time and the great thing all these kings went back to fight another day...

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:43pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice video.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:02am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool Thumbs Up
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.