It's gurnard, it's gurnard time

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:52am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perfect Feed Guys, nice Fish'n........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:53am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Gurnard time ... oh really ?

Maybe someone should tell the Kaipara fish that then.

We were catching 3 or 4 each trip out a month or so ago, but a cut short trip out yesterday yielded only one along with four KY.

Had to move about to score those even with most new spots resulting in only one or two takes before dying out entirely & in fact the finder was showing nil sign.

A chill wind was making things a tad uncomfortable that otherwise would not have been a problem had the fish been biting but rather than be stuck out there until after low tide, we opted to come in early
whilst there was sufficient water to do so.

Will try again in the gulf to see if that is more successful.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:58am
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There's a couple gurnard floating around the east coast. These are from my last 2 trips
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 11:38am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Nice ... east coast as in Auckland or down lower BOP / Hawkes Bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:18pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting a few off the north eastern side of fairway buoy out of Whangarei at the moment as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snatch a snap or two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 3:03pm
snatch a snap or two View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bazza, the Kaipara is or at least was, teaming with them a couple of weeks back.
We got had our limit of gurnies far too quickly and they were all nice fish. I think the secret was hiding deep in the fog 🤔
My biggest worry is that, when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JAKE D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 8:26am
JAKE D View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Nice ... east coast as in Auckland or down lower BOP / Hawkes Bay.

Omaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:51pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge got a nice one from the harbor today , went 1.86 kg Clap
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:48pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow beoooutiful carrot smudge.
From up near the crap ponds was it?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 7:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The funny ting is I don't even remember catching that on. I am sure my gumboots were white. Must have alzheimers
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 10:34am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whopper Smudge!Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 9:48am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

A productive trip out from Gulf Harbour yesterday restored any loss of confidence after the aforementioned lack lustre short trip out on the Kaipara on Wednesday !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 10:03am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Another slow day for Vinnie & I on the Kaipara yesterday with a long time between action however conditions were idyllic & at least we got a feed .

Doubt if many could pick where the river shot was taken if not told ... it is the upper Hoteo where we went on an exploratory jaunt after coming in early.

Geez .... pics taking forever to load .... any reason for that ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice Bazza. Makes The Big Muddy look clean Big smile.  Try clearing your cache my pics are loading pretty quick.

Here's one I caught today ion a sneaky day off work

Not a great photo but it was 44cm and fat - looks skinny in the pic but around 1.1kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RoyO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 10:12am
RoyO View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice fish, I'm planning a quick trip out Sat arvo from Hoteo, any spots around the island that could be holding grunters at the mo?
I've mostly fished out of the Makarau river so not overly familiar with spots in that area. And thinking I might need to tuck in behind the island out of the SW wind.

Cheers
Roy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RoyO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:32am
RoyO View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Headed out on the mighty Kaipara on Sat (29th July) from Hoteo, a bit windy and choppy but still managed 5 decent KY for the smoker.
We anchored in about 4.5 mtrs of water hiding behind the island from the cold SW.

No sign of gurnard - one small throwback snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 6:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well it was better than my day RoyO, I stayed home Angry. I think we all have days when we may not get what we hoped for but with 5 ky in the bin, you did better than me! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:06pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With what seems like less Gurnard around these days could this be the reason.
As we all know the cost of real estate in and around Auckland in recent years has sky rocketed. Gurnard are feeling this too.
The cost of a mere 5 Sq M bit of sandbank complete with delicious crabs ,shrimps and little flounder has become prohibitive to most Gurnard.
So they are all leaving for the provinces where they can get an entire sandbank for a fraction of the cost.Smile

Either that ,or fishermen have caught them all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:36pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think its the same here in Wellington except its the gurnards less attractive relatives (red cod) that have moved in, to share the real estate, but hopefully they will leave soon. Parliament could be a good place for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:52am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Parliament could well be the place for them. Plenty of resident Grunters ,and a couple of good workups  this week as well.
Page  <12