Winter river fishing - Best Thermal options?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter river fishing - Best Thermal options?
    Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:57am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wondering what the best options are for winter thermals/layering - what works? Trying to find something to keep that cold out but with minimum bulk. Suggestions?

Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:00pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I recently bought these long sleeve tops from Katmandu. Was 2 for about $65 I think. I think they're called thermaplus. They're very lightweight and keep you bloody warm. Perfect for wearing under a fleece and jacket if it's really cold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:12pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL, got the exact same ones, definitely make a difference. Got the long johns as well, very happy with them (good for wet wading with shorts in the Summer, keeps the sandflies and mosquitoes away)
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:42am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wading with breathable waders, I used merino long johns + fleece track pants. Same for on top - long sleeved merino under-layer, then a micro fleece.
Still got cold feet!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:43am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

LOL, got the exact same ones, definitely make a difference. Got the long johns as well, very happy with them (good for wet wading with shorts in the Summer, keeps the sandflies and mosquitoes away)
I prefer the polypropylene long johns for summer - they dry much quicker but still give sun & insect protection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:25am
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don't struggle too much with cold feet. I use a pair of thick thermal socks which I bought from the Warehouse for about 20 bucks. The toe section is extra thick. The neoprene on the G3 waders i use is also really good as well. That together usually does the job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:55pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Iv got a few options for under my waders (breathables). Polyprops for when its not cold.  Merino thermals for when its cooler and when its proper cold like when I went out on Saturday in a blizzard around -4 iv got a pair of specific under wader pants from Redington.  About the thickest polar-fleece iv ever seen.

https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-apparel/i-o-fleece-pant

They are the bomb for keeping you warm, but as soon as the temp gets to 5 or more they start to get very hot.  

Just ordered a pair of the Simms wader socks.  A mate of mine raves about them for the depths of winter, so going to give a pair a spin. 

https://www.simmsfishing.com/catalog/product/view/id/19391
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:58am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use neoprene socks - better than cloth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:11am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah I think you miss understand me FishB8?  Im talking for wearing under my breathable waders in winter.   Simms are now doing a very high end insulated sock.   Comes from demands from the boys in Alaska who regularly fish in -10 and lower.   A mate is a product tester for Simm's.   He was wearing a pair on Saturday when we fished together.  Iv ordered a pair, but they are just arriving in the market here. 

I don't know how some wet wade with just normal socks to be honest.  Always use neoprene socks when wet wading.  I still wear thin business socks under my neo's though.  Otherwise I get a call from North Korea requesting to by them for use in their chemical warfare pursuits. 

Big tip for those who do get stinky socks, is iv discovered that if you wash the neoprene sock of in river water the moment you take them of at the end of the day, that kills of about 90% of the stink.  Well it does with me at least. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:58am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

......and the fish in a 50 metre radius!!

Will look out for those socks, Fraser.

Actually, I haven't winter fished for years but did use the neoprene socks inside my waders. Like you, I wear them when wet-wading in summer then wash them with rest of clothes in washing machine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:57am
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Big tip for those who do get stinky socks, is iv discovered that if you wash the neoprene sock of in river water the moment you take them of at the end of the day, that kills of about 90% of the stink.  Well it does with me at least. Wink

I can thoroughly recommend the wetties neoprene socks. Comfortable and no problem with any smell even if I don't wash them after use. Pretty cheap too