Weird trailer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird trailer
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:56pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not fishing related but I thought there'd be a boat guru on here who could help...

I bought a wee 14' sailing dinghy yesterday and it came with a small trailer.

I noticed it's very sloppy in the springs so I ducked my head under and found a very odd suspension setup that I've never come across... pics below.

I paid bugger all for the outfit and the boat's awesome so I'm happy even if the trailer's a bit dodgy but don't know what to do.

It's on 8 inch wheels. Rest looks pretty sound.

Do I leave it or replace it with leaf springs? Can reuse the existing axle i'd imagine?

Seems to be quite heavy on the drawbar too, I wonder if the axle is too far back.

Edit: It's a road trailer with current wof/rego so should be legit. Like being on a bouncy castle while trying to step the mast tho so would be keen to sort it out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote veitnamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:41pm
veitnamcam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think it is awesome we can still build our own trailer in NZ.
While that isn't at the pinical of design it is probably not dangerous until it breaks......I see some seriously bad home built trailer design in my trade.

For the sake of a hundred bucks I would replace with some springs from TM trailer parts or similar if you can do the job yourself or ply a mate with beer to do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:57pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks vietnamcam

Yeah that's what I figured, it would be pretty final if the spring went :/

Think this is what you mean?

Tempted to have a go myself but gasless mig is all i've got, maybe best to get some help with this one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you could get some questions asked with a competent WoF inspector....
 That is a lot tension on that spring.. the question is also how was that spring bent that way?
That left go and you will have the boat and trailer go up in the air with some very potentially serious consquinces.. chances are the other spring would let go also and have a axle bouncing freely around the road and foot paths...
The trailer isnt carrying a lot of weight.
Weight it fully loaded...
 Then look at replacing springs.. be it coil or leaf, with the correct rating.
I think you will find  boltable (U bolts to upper chassis rails) spring brackets available
 I would be very hesitant to use a 'home' gasless mig to weld suspension brackets...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:59am
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps. I was curious how it has a WOF, doesn't look safe to me.

OK I'll have a look for boltable spring brackets, that would be the way.

I won't use the gasless mig, if I have to go that way I know someone that'll do it for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:53am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Trojan Trailers are at the Boat Show. Looked like they would have all the stuff you need. Can order anything in their catalogue through Repco.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:48pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I found these on Supercheap's site Foxtrot Oscar.

Worth doing for $100
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 1:13pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's the same kit Chris. Bargain! 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:39pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ditto.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:21pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Something to keep in mind is the weight of the boat. If it is a wooden sailing dinghy then it is likely very light for the size. Springs that are too heavy for the load will do a poor job of damping out bumps and jolts, possibly causing damage to the hull, especially if it's plywood on rollers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:56pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

OneWayTraffic, onto it, got 750kg springs, lightest I could find.

As is, she's bouncy as hell. Actually get seasick just trying to step the mast Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:05pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chris
Why do you have to stand inside the dinghy to hoist the mast?
You would in fact be doubling the weight of the boat and those springs are designed for very light loads only. Be careful if you put on heavy rated springs......may cause hull damage.
Can you not step the mast standing alongside the hull? Would be easier to tighten the stays in that position.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:31pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If they gave it a warrant wouldn't it be safe enough, looks old enough to prove it's been up to the task all these years.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:31am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's hard to find light springs.  The lightest leaf springs I have seen off the shelf are 500kg per pair.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:52pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As Steps said you should be able to find a U bolt on type of leaf and carrier arrangement.   

Iv seen them come mounted on angle iron so you just slip that under the frame and bolt it in the correct position for weight distribution. 

No need for welding.  Just slip the boat of the trailer.  Angle grind / cut  of the old spring and bolt the new one in place.  Just give the spots where you cut a coat of cold galve hey? Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:46pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just give the spots where you cut a coat of cold galve hey?

better still, way better long term...clean back to good steel with disk sander...couple coats of POR 15...let cure, then touch up to match rest of trailer with paint over the top

have been messing with alsorts of methods paints etc for a few yrs on our trailer...throw in a few decades of classic/ vintage car restos on the side....unle have your own media blaster and hot dip galv plant in the back cnr of the shed...only way to go.
 POR 15 is NOT cheap  100ml goes a VERY long way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:33pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Chris B Chris B wrote:

Thanks vietnamcam

Yeah that's what I figured, it would be pretty final if the spring went :/

Think this is what you mean?

Tempted to have a go myself but gasless mig is all i've got, maybe best to get some help with this one?

Nothing wrong with a gasless mig..go for it.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 7:39pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can remove a leaf to reduce the capacity of the spring and soften the ride.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...