Favourite Rod/Line combo at the moment?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Rod/Line combo at the moment?
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:30pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I've been stuck in an Xi3 rut for the last few years. They are very hard rods to get away from. I think the Xi3 9wt must be one of the most popular saltwater rods of all time. 

The 10wt is great too, but I find the 10wt Xi3 to be quite a step up in terms of fish fighting grunt and is maybe not as sweet to cast.

I have tended to use the 10wt Xi3 out of the boat mostly. It was too much of an elephant gun for much of the fishing I did around the shore. But I was looking for something a little stronger than the 9wt Xi3 but a little more delicate than the 10.

So I tried my 10wt Method which I have neglected and used mostly for 'special' occasions (bonefishing) and loaded it with a 9wt Rio Intertip Outbound. What a great combination they turned out to be! I'm no casting guru but suddenly my casting looked a whole lot better and the rod felt like it had casting and fish fighting power in reserve.

Maybe I'm breaking all sorts of unwritten rules by underlining the rod but it has now become my favourite outfit. Just as well I suppose because it is already dated LOL

Any other favourite rod/line combos out there?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 10:19am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I love the Xi3 too, although I prefer to refer to it as an obsession rather than a rut ! Was recently provided a 10wgt Salt as a replacement for the stuffed up Xi3 repair. Didn't like it, at all. Fished it hard for 6 full days, managed a 65cm Kahawai and a 65cm Kingy though. The tip felt lifeless, even though I could still cast a full length flyline. Just a general lack of feel. Ended up swapping it for my mates Xi3.

I love my 8wgt Xi3 with a Rio Outbound Short (Tropical and Cold). Or my 10wgt Xi3 with Rio General Purpose Floater for NZ flats, or my goto rod for chasing Tuna in Queensland with an Outbound Short Full Intermediate or Intermediate Tip.

Now have a 10wgt Method which is a very hot rod, I think it will be great for fast shots at busting Tuna. Will be getting a 9wgt Method soon too.

Just purchased a used 9wgt Xi3 from the States, for all day blind casting, as the 10wgt is too big a big gun for 8 hours of continuous distance blind casting (what you said Craig) on the flats.

The never ending pit of fly gear...........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:42pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah Warren, sounds like you've got a developing problem...  Smile

Out in the boat I used to regularly use the equivalent of what is now the Rio 10wt Coastal Quickshooter XP on the 10wt Xi3. Frighteningly good Thumbs Up You can really blast huge casts with ease with that combo. Great for throwing flies at kings or was perfect for bombie bashing in the tropics. As said though - not an outfit for long duration casting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 2:23pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Already well developed!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 9:39pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Now I am back in the UK my 9wt have not been out of the tube! my "new" favourite is an old 5# Sage XP with a Reddington reel and a #6 Rio line, it is great for Bass!
All the best.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:02am
Southern Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For the past couple years i've been running an 8wt Redington Predator rod matched with a 9wt Rio Outbound short for kahawai, It seems to turn large kahawai backwards. Wink -  This combo works for me casting large flys into heavy wind off the beach and getting distance when the fish are out further. I can not say how excellent the predator range of rods has been i now have an 8,10, and 12. Thumbs Up On the occasion the Kahawai are sitting in the river mouth channels hard on he bottom i use the Rio 350 grain 26ft sink tip striper line which sinks at 8-9ips this is a rod and line combo that just gets the job done.

FishMan, I was thinking about getting a Costal Quickshooter XP to see what it would go like up against the outbound short from what i have read they seem very similar lines and for that reason i think it would be a good line for river mouth and "beach bashing" situations where you are faced with unforgiving wind, waves and you need a line to turn over large fly and cast distance as far as you can. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 2:51pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, the beach situation can be a difficult one. A full sinker can work well off a beach because it stays under the wave action. I'm not sure how the XP will work. It could be good as it is a shallow water environment and it won't take long for that 30' of intermediate shooting to get down on the sand. Certainly, it'll belt out big flies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:32am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Surfcandy Surfcandy wrote:

For the past couple years i've been running an 8wt Redington Predator rod matched with a 9wt Rio Outbound short for kahawai, It seems to turn large kahawai backwards. Wink -  This combo works for me casting large flys into heavy wind off the beach and getting distance when the fish are out further. I can not say how excellent the predator range of rods has been i now have an 8,10, and 12. Thumbs Up On the occasion the Kahawai are sitting in the river mouth channels hard on he bottom i use the Rio 350 grain 26ft sink tip striper line which sinks at 8-9ips this is a rod and line combo that just gets the job done.

FishMan, I was thinking about getting a Costal Quickshooter XP to see what it would go like up against the outbound short from what i have read they seem very similar lines and for that reason i think it would be a good line for river mouth and "beach bashing" situations where you are faced with unforgiving wind, waves and you need a line to turn over large fly and cast distance as far as you can. 

I would think it difficult to beat the Outbound Short for that type of fishing. Not a pretty line but it sure is fast and turns over big flies into wind better than any other line I have tried. Having it in the floating/intermediate head makes line management a lot easier too as the stripped line floats, rather than washing around your feet. Or use a stripping basket/line pallet like I do.

Wow, a 9wgt Outbound Short on an 8wgt, that really is overlining!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:33pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sage X 990-4 with RIO GP coldwater WF9F line. Nice head length and good back taper. Turns over well.

The rod can speak for itself, nothing compares. Works well with this line and quite a few others. 

Biggest king of the #tagakingonfly season at just over 50lb on that setup. Sight fished after a 3hour stake out from the beach. One chance for a cast and it had to be right on target at 80ft. Bent into the butt section, still had enough nuts to stop it after an initial 300+yard run. I'd suspect the SaltHD has more down in the butt having used it a couple of times. 

#50lbsnojoke. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 3:51pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great fish! Nice line too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:34pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sure was one helluva fish Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 6:53am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sage X 990-4 with the Rio outbound short cold WF8F/I - for me this combo works nicely.