Oh so close but a PB off the beach anyway

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh so close but a PB off the beach anyway
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:52pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good mate Snappa Geoff gave me a call earlier and gave me a bump to put a post up - Thanks mate its been awhile both in catching up and posting on here but I do from time to time check in to see how you all are going and should post a bit more.

The last 4 weeks have seen some nice fish coming in off the beaches here in the Naki, actually the last 12months has been quite awesome.

Anyway sorry for the long post and I hope you enjoy it:

While were on the Naki west coast = THC is not what you think lol. It actually stands for Taranaki Hard Core and I think the fish are in on the action.... Smile

Don’t you just love it when things just work out:
Yesterday arvo – “Phil what are you doing tonight”? hmm “that’s a good point, what’s the plan”?
We pulled up the calendar, that had nothing great showing a number of places where discussed and written off till we agreed on a spot and using the K.I.S.S principle by keeping it local.

Home from work, gear ready and off down the road we headed after parking up and looking over the bank we settled on an spot. A shallow area with a bit of a wave coming through and hitting a narley looking drop off piece on the beach bit like a shore break but it looked fishy.

It was dark as we set up the first rods and into it we went.
I had a secret weapon; one of my mates (Bill) special traces on rod 1, hehe I thought as we had nailed some solid snaps the week before on this trace.. well the first eel destroyed that lol.
Re-rigged with the second trace Bill gave me and out it went…..

Rod 2: set up trusty running rig and a piece of pillie, while second secret was defrosting (Occy) anyway the pillie got hammered by eely bites and brought back in no dramas. “We’re going to get a moocher tonight Bro, I can feel it. The moon is due to rise soon time to get into it!!” So on went the occy (about the size of my thumb) and out that went….... Bang, fuk, BANG BANG Wizzzzzz nod nod, "Bro this ant no Eel" Wizzzzzzz nod nod and so it went, it was rubbing hard on a rock and I had to “just let it do its thing” (I’d have to thank Alex, James, Kerry and Mike for the valued advice in this situation) after a bit of care and quite some time we had it out of the rocks and in the clear but far from giving up as I'd backed the drag right off to let it run and not rub on the same piece of line.

Now at this time, Gaff man (Phil) with no gaff Confused was out in front of me chasing down the fish ready to pounce, the fish was finally spotted and it was a goodie Thumbs Up as Phil went for it, it spat the hook and he managed to grab it by the tail and kind of bear hug it to safety lol. ClapClapClap "well done Bro" as I was helpless 5 - 6m away.

Yeehaa's handshakes thanks yahoos back pats and the shakes etc. followed “hey I still got my bait” Cool so out it went again. That was basically the end of action on Rod 2 for the night.

The fish was a healthy 16.2lb snap. Phil got and eel and I talked him into also using a bit of Occy “your just in my spot Bro” he said. What a good man putting me in such a good (his) spot, no wonder Amanda (his misses) is doing so well!!

Back to Rod 1: Somewhere amongst the fun and games Rod 1 got snagged and lost the second rig of Bills specials Cry It was re-rigged with a running rig and a bit of Occy, casted out and the wait began not long later Bang, bang fuk, BANG BANG Wizzzzzz, Wizzzzzz, "Your on bro" Wizz Wizzzzzz Fish on alright and gee did it have some go in it.

Now at this stage we were on the edge of the drop off and the odd set was standing up in front of us and smashing in there with a bit of force, sending straight up an impressive spray before dropping straight back down. Gaff man Phil was again chasing my line, giving direction and guiding me on what was happing down the line while I kept an eye on the sets. I spotted a splash and realized he (the snap) was nearing a rock and disaster was not far away a wee bit more handy work by both of us and we had it under control again.

As my focus moved out to the wider scene I went “SET Bro” there was not much Phil could do but managed to trace the fish get himself out of harm’s way as the spray gave him a bit of a shower ClapOuchWink lol. It was impressive to watch, now he was doing the tail bear hug thing again when the next set came in Censored “SET, SET Bro” he couldn’t get away from this one as it dumped down in front of him and the splash went up and over lol.
He was never in danger but how the wave broke made it tricky and looked bloody impressive.

As he dragged it up the beach we knew it was another goody and the thought crossed my mind of releasing it but the extended tribe have not had a feed of fresh fish since November so home it was coming and after the wrestling match Phil had with it he deserved to be Ickyed. More handshakes yaahoooos yeehaas etc.

We put it on the scales and it pulled them down to 18.9lb. I’ll call it 19 lol. Still not a 20 and only a touch over my beach PB but hey it’s been a long time since I had a snap that big on the beach caught by me Wink

Some details on both fish:
Rig: Running rig 4 and 6oz sinker (rod 1 & 2) 60lb trace 150 – 200mm long
Bait: Occy (Swollo it) last piece I had left from the TOSC lol. Cut into thumb size piece
Time: 8:15 – 9:15pm
Gaff man: Phil you’re a bloody legend.

The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very cool and a great read. Well done Naki!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:19am
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great report and nice looking fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:41am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top report Logan! Couple of beauty Snaps from the beach rodsWink Go the Naki.... Liked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:31pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish mate and where can we find more of these gaff men Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:53pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good report Naki-Fisher, 8:15-9:15 done and dusted. Not a bad effort at all, well done!!
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:26pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish mate 

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:48pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work... always good to get some decent ones from the beach.  Chur!
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 7:08am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Logan gotta love those Naki snaps!ClapClap