Doubtless bay takes a pounding..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doubtless bay takes a pounding..
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:05am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My friend was at Maramahuta just outside doubtless on Monday and said the whole thing was surrounded by floats which indicated a gill net set.

I have seen this last year out there also.

From the foul towards Tokerau in about 20m a boat which many of us can name I'm sure, had set cray pots across the bay towards Albert potting pretty much every chunk of foul.

The trawler that is based out of here at the moment is doing a good job of supplying the truck to points south also.

I hate that a few people can take such a huge share of what belongs to us all and profit from it.

I hate that govts who work for us will continue this practise in a declining fishery.

I wonder if we make private fishing a much bigger industry than comms is can we take precedence over comms?

Instead of avoiding licencing etc we have licences and we fund fishery inspectors and record all fish caught and Go the whole hog and become the "big player"?

Sorry I just had to vent a bit there...

Donate to legacy people and don't overfish just to give it away or take a picture.
7 snapper is not a target it is a maximum..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:00am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Garry 23041<br><br>I hate that a few people can take such a huge share of what belongs to us all and profit from it.<br><br><br><br>[/QUOTE Garry 23041

I hate that a few people can take such a huge share of what belongs to us all and profit from it.

[/QUOTE wrote:

Good words Gary~~well put.

Good words Gary~~well put.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:19pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Garry  
I have been wondering for a while.
I fear licencing, local political pressuer etc will lead to area closures that would just push more commercial fishing effort out of high population areas into Northland and eastern BOP, like National proposed 3 years ago and failed to deliver.  
An inshore zone where only low impact commercial and recreation fishing methods were allowed seems like a a better long term solution across all regions. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:39am
Platinum
Platinum

I agree John the inshore protection area concept sounds good.

I just wonder without us being a larger player in terms of dollars and employment how we can get govt and non fisher N.Zs to allow and support some much needed change?

I think you are 100% correct that any partial solution like Auckland zone will just spell the earlier death of other fisheries from increased pressure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:47am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with the sentiment, but not enough people give enough of a sh*t to actually make a difference. You can expect the fishery to collapse, it's just a question of when.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:07am
Platinum
Platinum

Sure Mightyboosh and I am no different.

I ***** to the choir which is not much use unless I can get more people to donate to legacy maybe and I do bugger all else....

In a related note..

A guy I was working with yesterday was saying we need to get voting switched to our cell phones so WAY more people would vote. I wonder what that would be like in terms of the environment?
Would bring most young people onboard I would guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:19am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I donate to Legasea, $20/fortnight. Not a huge amount, but seems reasonable to me. As I've said before, they may not be perfect as an organisation and I don't necessarily agree with everything they stand for, but it's a start. I've encouraged friends to join, but they're not interested. They'd rather spend the money on more fuel and bait so they can go fishing for fish that aren't there.

In the election, I'll be voting purely on fisheries policy. Single minded when there are so many other issues, but this one is important. When it's gone, it's gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:52am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MigtyBoosh I have decided to do so also.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 12:49pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

I donate to Legasea, $20/fortnight. Not a huge amount, but seems reasonable to me. As I've said before, they may not be perfect as an organisation and I don't necessarily agree with everything they stand for, but it's a start. I've encouraged friends to join, but they're not interested. They'd rather spend the money on more fuel and bait so they can go fishing for fish that aren't there.

In the election, I'll be voting purely on fisheries policy. Single minded when there are so many other issues, but this one is important. When it's gone, it's gone.

Yeah I donate to legaSea and have tried encouraging others as well.
Even $10 a fortnight is only one packet of cigarettes a month or a couple of beers. Surely any passionate fisher could manage that small sacrifice.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

I have mates who would donate but they never can find the time to set it up.....we need to get the wives on it!

I have said before if every rec fisher donated $5 a week legacy would be one powerful lobby group.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:19pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm with you guys, I moved to Doubtless Bay 18 months ago and so far I haven't had a days fishing that compares to what I used to have in the Gulf. I support Legacy bu tit's hard fighting a Govt whose primary motivation is greed no matter what it costs the country
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

The far north doesn't exist on any govt maps mate...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:52pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I know mate, the forgotten far north..... I just wish the comms guys didn't know about it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

I had a chance today so I shot out to Maramuhuta for a look and maybe a jig one week after the gill nets were there.

The structure is basically barren with very little life including the normal schools of blue mao mao (spell?).

We were there the week before the nets and easily and quickly landed a nice eater kingie with good bait sign building for winter and things looking pretty healthy top to bottom....

I wish I had screen shots of before and after, makes you feel sick.

Just to add insult while we were there the trawler working out of Mangonui came home with it's catch from somewhere south of Berghans.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:03am
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gary we need to protest on that wharf or road to stop him unloading or Moana trucks. Leaving with his catch.   Few coms here that know he's destroying our ares and want to sink it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:30am
Platinum
Platinum

It's a big problem that's for sure.

I don't want to come over all us against them with the local guys my neighbours etc but this big boat is death to what's left.

I support a local long line fishery outside spawning as I do for recs.

I think we can have both if we loose the greed?

Feel free to phone me to discuss options, I am prepared to try and get some people together incl local long liners and have a bit of a round table?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

I talked to one of our long line guys today.

He says that the end is near for them anyway.

He feels new trawlers like these (they are building 5 or 7, can't remember) will clean up the coast and drive out small operators like him.

Last week in one trip they did 3 big refer trucks full to Auckland which is 18 months to two years for him and they are doing that faster than once a week!

He said the new nets are producing a higher value fish but they are currently catching enough to drive down prices which hurts him also.

As he said these are the fish that come into the bays for Joe blogs to take and it's not looking good long term.

After the local guys are forced out by big companies not even his small income will remain in the north....It's a dog eat dog world people.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 5:49pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I may be wrong on this, but I am sure MPI would love for all the small commercial guys to disappear and leave a handful of big companies, that would make their life a hell of a lot easier. They have no interest in long term sustainable fisheries, some of their scientific people probably do but they will be bullied into being quiet by their bosses. Not many job opportunities in NZ for fisheries scientists. You don't bite the hand that feeds you which in this case is primarily the commercial industry, though levies.