Rod advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cow cocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod advice
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:08pm
cow cocky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone, lm a kayak fisher new to jigging, been out a couple of times and landed a few fish up to 85cm, what a buzz. Last time out I broke my shimano revolution 200 to 400 gm rod trying to free a snag, won't do that again (hopefully). So need a new rod to go with saragosa 10000 with ocea pe 8 braid.
Thinking of anarchy pe 8 300 to 400 gm but will mostly be fishing 200 gm jigs, will this rod still work for these?

Metaloid pe 3-6, 200 to 350 gm, will it be ok using this rod with the pe 8 braid l already have?

Any other suggestions?

Looking to spend around 300 max.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:39pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you have answered this question yourself........
If you want to jig 200 gram jigs but maybe something a bit heavier occasionally......then you prob want a rod that can jig 150 to 400 grams right?
A pe 5/6/8 would go well but Pe 6 would do the job nicely.
The 300 to 400 gram jig rod wont work the 200 gram jigs so well...too stiff.....otherwise it would be a 200 to 400 gram jig rod.........this is what the manufacturer recommends to get the best out of the rod/jig.......I think a good place to start would be a rod that can work 150 to 400 gram and go from there.
The metaloid specs look handy and close to what you are seeking.........sell the braid(or put on another reel) and put some good stuff on there ! like gosen/tasline/varivas......200 to 250m of Pe 6 of the afore mentioned and mono backing and your away...........the thinner line will get down quicker and the lighter  jigs will work better for it as well.
  With Pe6 a leader in mono in this range would be good 100/120/130 pound.......If i was using pe8 i would use 150 pound.......
For PE6 id go 130 pound "varivas shock leader"...thin for its strength......supple and doesnt develop memory in a hurry.....Good price too....Hope this helps you young manWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cow cocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:21pm
cow cocky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the reply laidbackdood, much appreciated, hunted out the docket for the reel and braid today and found that it was EX8 not pe8, so it is the 84lb pe5 braid, so will probably go with the metaloid.
What's everyone's goto jig, if you could only take one out what would it be?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:31pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Zest Hardy Long jig

give it death!