Big Snaps But No Crays! Mokau....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Snaps But No Crays! Mokau....
    Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:46pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, Teamed up with Aaron and my Brother for a big mish Yesterday. The plan was to make the fifty minute trip up the coast with the craypots in Aarons boat set them and fish for a while up there and a bit of a fish back in Mokau before going back in over Bar. Pots  set good, we just randomly chose a spot to fish about a mile offshore. Got the Sabiki's down but nothing for twenty minutes, then finally a few Kahawai to fight over for the StraylinesBig smile. Mick had two myself two and Aaron two,so they were casted in all directions. Bait began coming on board  good, so had plenty if Snaps came. Was an hour and a half mick had interest, hooked a nice Snap around 4 kgs. Then Sharks started getting caught wasting our gear and bait. They were all Greys, but have found over the years Snaps will swim with them to contest a big fresh bait. The Greys sometimes fool you with the first run but once into playing them the lack of those big head nods give them away. Finally i got a big run on a whole Kahawai Fillet that had theThumbs Up A decent Snap. Played it in Slowly Aaron gaffed it. A solid Snap around 20lbs. Shortly after headed back to Mokau to fish Aarons spot for the last hour. Aarons sounder was thick with fish and they were Snaps! He Showed Me and Mick up and hooked Two lovely Snaps in the hour we fished there! I started work later thismorn as at daybreak Aaron and i went  back to retrieve pots and get the loot but we got the big zeroLOL Thats fish'n! Couple of shots myself with Snap on Gaff and Aarons two later in the day. Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:46am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

knew you couldnt resit yesterdays weather,another fine example Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:59am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish as always - those crays can be tricky just have to make do with the Snapper I guess...LOL
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:05am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Nice fish as always - those crays can be tricky just have to make do with the Snapper I guess...LOL
Hi John, last time Aaron set pots on same spots he cleaned up! They might of been on a marchLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how do the old boys get on at seaside with their longline?see them quite often
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:04pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very niceClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

how do the old boys get on at seaside with their longline?see them quite often
Hi Paul, Seaview the spot. On a good day always fish, mostly Snapper and Gurnhard. Big Snaps are caught occassionly over 20lbs like most westcoast beaches, but the average size is good 2-5 kgs.