Rotorua Winter Shoreline fishing

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:23pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for all the help guys. It's really appreciated. Hopefully lady luck will help us out. We're planning on heading out Sunday/Monday so will let you know how we get on afterwards. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:00am
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

mate I'll be out and about Sunday late afternoon/evening, so if you see a tall fulla with a green hoodie & an orange and grey beanie on, come and say hi.  Not sure where exactly I'll be, it'll depend on the weather, but more than likely Te Wairoa, Ruato or Okataina
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:28pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quick mission out to Okataina last night.  Some small pods of fish cruising the sand close in. Another fisherman picked up a couple down the left end of the beach heaving and leaving out over the dropoff on the change of light.  I was fishing about level with the end of the weed net, casting diagonally along the beach, stripping a woolly bugger, and dropped one close in.  Changed to a lumo on dark and picked up a nice 2.5kg jack.  Fished for another hour before having to leave, but no more action.  Have also had reports of the beach at Tarawera having some good action late last week, during the day, with the fish in over the sand.  Gonna go check it out tonight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:08am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So my mate and I decided to go for a sort of fish/hunt. We went to Tarawera in the end in our kayaks. Long paddle from Spencer to Humphries then almost to the Outlet and back. 
Saw so many trout it was exhilarating. They were chasing smelt all along the surface. All around us you could see the backs of these big rainbows just smashing the water around us. It was awesome. 

Got three in the end and had a blast. All caught on freshwater softies. Would have been better to use a smelt pattern fly though for sure, but fly fishing of a kayak was a bit difficult for two newbies. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:38pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work!  What sort of softies do you use?  I sometimes take my spinning rod with me  for when I get tired of flinging feathers, but never had much luck, mind you I only use my trolling lures tassies and tobys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:51pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's not the most riveting fishing in the world, but I've had a fair bit of luck using a spinning rod to do 'heave and leave' style fishing at Tarawera (the Rangiuru Bay area) and main beach Okataina (off the old jetty).

It's a good way of helping beginners catch a trout or two, and a good way of fishing in daylight if you don't have a shooting head etc. I cast out as far as I can with a 1/4 oz sinker above a small swivel, with an olive or variegated Booby on a short trace.

You can do a bit of a twitch retrieve, like you would with a shooting head, but just leaving the fly to its own devices works.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:57pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice one Daniel.
That's a fair ol' paddle down to the outlet.

Now that you know what they look like, the challenge is to get one on a fly rodBig smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:12pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys, I'm still reeling from it. Trout have been such a hard species to target for me. I've thrown a lot of time, money, and sacrifice into it, and to catch 3 in one day was just unbelievable for me. I had to constantly reach back into the catch area and give them a pat to make sure I wasn't dreaming lol. I caught them on a 1/8th Jig head with a small freshwater softbait that I got from hunting and fishing. It was a rainbow trout looking one that started with D. They came in a little clear ziplock bag. The mouths of the trout were full of small smelt so I tied on a smelt coloured one, and then a rainbow one.  Thanks Uncle, yeah it was an absolutely gut busting paddle, especially when the wind got up on our way back. My shoulders were so sore that I had trouble sleeping last night. Would do it 100 times over though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:48pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys, i'm driving down to Rotorua this weekend. Any shore line places firing up or worth spending an evening cast at the moment? thanks.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:05am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I fished Rotorua Lakes, there were a few stream mouths that were not designated fly-fishing only. Not well highlighted, but I checked with a Ranger.
Haven't fished there for years and not read the local rules, so not sure if those spinning-legal stream mouths are still on the schedule.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:05pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Popped over to the Blue Lake this afternoon to flick a softie at change of light and managed to pick up a nice little jack. Was raining pretty persistently so got a drenching too!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:21pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice!Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stevoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 10:11am
Stevoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work Mossy, was that off the main beach? 
Fishing is the answer, what was the question?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:00am
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Kenshin, most of the shorline areas are holding fish at the moment, but can be a bit hit and miss.  Haven't been to Okataina this week, but a couple of reports from there say the fishings pretty good.  Also the same with the Wai-iti stream mouth on Rotoiti.  Not sure about Ruato.
I've spent a few nights this week at Waitangi Bay on Tarawera, and have picked up a couple of fish every night, fishing from on dark for 2 - 3 hours (missed/dropped a fair few as well!)  Came home with 2 nice fat hens last night - 1 @ 6.5 lbs and 1 @ 5 lbs.

The landing at Tarawera has been a bit slow from what I've seen, however someone else may have had better luck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:06pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Stevoe, no, fishing off the little beach at the south-eastern corner, just down from the car park.

Had a chat to the Fish and Game man who checked my license, he suggested the fishing at the main beach should be the better option this time of year though, and with a fly rod rather than spinning outfit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:56pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yep, the area around the boat ramp, and the beach to the right of it, on the Blue Lake can be good fishing at this time of year.  Average size is generally smaller than the other lakes but the odd one up around 6 - 7 lb gets caught every year (never by me though!).  I use the same methods as other shoreline areas, floating line with the standard night flies.  For the non fly fishers, you could use a spin outfit, with a bubble float half filled with water for casting weight, above about a metre of trace with a lumo fly.  Or a 1/8 - 1/4 oz sinker above a swivel if wanting to fish deeper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:45pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Kooza, I only had some luck same time last year with a 7lb jack at The Pipe in Rotoiti. Might pay Tarawera beach a go one night.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:19pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

actually the pipe could be worth a crack this weekend - expecting a heap of rain tomorrow.  That's if you can get a spot!  Actually, fishing off the jetty just before the pipe is always worth a crack too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:03pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm heading to Rotorua for a long overdue trip on Sunday. Has been ages since I last fished the lakes in winter.  Any recommendations for Sunday night? Sounds like the pipe is one. Any other spots been consistent?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 2:12pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just to clarify, you are allowed to fly fish from a boat now in Ruato Bay correct? I know there was a no boat fishing rule in place for ruato from 1st April for a couple of seasons but this was canned a couple of years ago. Reason I ask is I got an earful from a shore based angler in the middle of a sunny day yesterday while anchored 100m away on the drop-off flicking a glo-bug around. As far as any rule I can see, there are no restrictions in place preventing fly fishing from a boat?
Page  <123>