Ocean Bounty TV3

Page  123 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ocean Bounty TV3
    Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:13pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very subtle propoganda for the fishing industry. Watched the credits and all became clear. This is what those who want a change to the so called "best fishing management scheme in the world" are up against. Big money funding large public relations campaigns.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:25pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good first episode for them too, it all works pretty nicely the way it is set up over on the other coast there. To be fair fiordland lobster are doing a fine job.

Will be interesting to see the rest of the series covering other fisheries that are under more pressure.

As soon as i saw jk's smarmy face doing the intro Iknew it was a commercial backed campaign.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 7:18pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have not seen it yet.. got recorded
Was listening to a inview with Geof Sinclair,  couple eveings ago on the radio....who I believe is behind it (???).
 He just could not repeat so many time just how great our quota system really works, best in the world  blah blah

OK the quota system maybe the best in the world....but that doesnt mean the loop holes, administration, monitoring, and required adjustments also comes up to the std....
 And that is what lets so many good systems down, the manipulation of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 7:38pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I enjoyed it and found it great to see rec and comms working together for a common goal and preserving the area not thrashing it to bits, having closed areas. Top conservation management there.

Why is hauraki gulf and surrounding areas getting so depleted of crayfish too much take and not enough management??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:52am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think its bloody good to see the other side of things. I think anyone who thinks commercial fishing is going to go away is punching them selves in the face. so like Sinclair has always been saying its time for us to really start working with them and assisting in the changes. theres always two sides to a story and is just good to here there side so I can actually understand what is going on. not just being told all the negatives
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:32am
LegaSea Community Builder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Won't post the link to this view point from a Facebook page but will paste the text instead....I think the poster says a lot of right things...

Right, time for a gold old fashioned rant. I'm not usually one for long winded Facebook posts, but the new Ocean Bounty show triggered me immensely

I will start by saying I have no issue with commercial fishing and (most) commercial fishermen. It will always be a part of our economy, and provides jobs for thousands and gives access to seafood for those who may not otherwise have it. Even exporting fish is fine by me as it adds to our GDP, as long as it is done sustainably and it is high valued product, not purse seining kahawai to send to Oz for cray bait.

What I have an issue with is the massive conflicts of interest that currently exist at the highest levels of the commercial sector, and how that prevents what could be a very good system from functioning even remotely how it should. The mind boggles at some of the decisions and processes that take place.

You have Peter Goodfellow, president of the governing National Party, acting as a director for Sanfords, our largest commercial fishing company. The same company that partly owns the company hired by the government to monitor commercial fishing malpractice, which is shocking enough in itself. The same company that gets caught out on monitoring cameras systematically dumping fish. The same company that the government then decides not to prosecute, despite a mountain of evidence. That goes beyond the level of a conflict of interest, and even starts getting into the murky waters of corruption.

Then you have MPI now treating recreational catch as a quota rather than an allowance. I am 100% all for cutting limits etc in areas that are under pressure and need to rebuild. But when you repeatedly cut recreational bag limits and increase the size limits, while allowing the commercial sector to continue to take 25cm snapper and 65cm kingfish with no cut in TAC, that is quite simply unacceptable. And when it is done using data that is at best deeply flawed and at worst deliberately misleading, it is even harder to swallow. Ramp surveys and aerial flyovers on some of the busiest weekend of the year extrapolated over 12 months is only ever going to result in one thing, so MPI was either extremely incompetent or extremely calculated in their methods.

On top of that, you have the government trying to look like they 'understand the issue' and coming up with a 'solution to benefit everyone'. The proposal to "close the Hauraki Gulf to commercial fishing" is possibly the biggest load of bull**** I have ever laid eyes on. Anyone who has looked at the boundaries for commercial fishing and trawler prohibited areas will know exactly what I mean.

All that proposal does is close off the areas from which trawlers are already banned, leaving open the areas that the vast majority of snapper in the Gulf congregate to spawn each year. It literally does not affect a single trawl vessel, and will have zero effect on the amount of snapper caught by trawlers in the Gulf and where those fish come from.

The only boats that proposal will have any impact on is the small scale inshore long liners. The ones with the least environmental impact. The ones with the most selective fishing method. The ones that should be encouraged, not banished from where they operate. It is disheartening to see how many people point to this proposal as a grand act by the government to protect recreational fishing in the Gulf, and how few see through it for what it really is - another PR exercise designed to pacify the public with no real impact on preserving the Gulf at all. If anything, it will force the smaller long liners that were allowed to operate in those areas out of business, resulting in a higher percentage of snapper being taken by trawlers and that's not good news for anyone.

Then you have areas like the Bay of Plenty where snapper stocks are clearly decimated, and yet every season the trawlers are back, clearing out what little is left. When MPIs own estimates put snapper sticks at 6% of their original levels and yet they leave the fishery open with no reduction in quota, that says a lot about it as an organisation.

I think that's what grates me the most about this new show, that speech at the beginning was painful to listen to and I know plenty of uninformed people with believe everything that is said. It paints a picture of a government that is so proactive around working with the recreational sector when the reality couldn't be much different.

Anyway rant over, I just hope people don't take everything at face value and see this show for what it is, a glorified PR stunt by an industry that knows the spotlight on it is getting brighter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:59am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't disagree with any of that. There are major, fundamental problems right now along with at least the impression of corruption (possibly worse) that need fixing before we can work together. 

They can't be brushed over or we'll be working towards more problems. 

It's line in the sand time. 

MPI needs an independent inquiry held into the way the operate and how they've been captured by commercial interests before we can move forward together. 

Once MPI is fixed and works as an independent department for the benefit of the fishery we can sort the next bit.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:33pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing that did come out clearly of that 1st episode in Fiodland, is the eventual cooperation of parties to a common objective...(great) but
on a stock unique in that it had not yet been raped and degraded to the extent of most other fisheries like HG and BoP,  The Sounds.

Maybe worth a bit of a read of the latest MPI stats and research of our 'sustainable, and unsustainable fishery resources
http://fs.fish.govt.nz/Page.aspx?pk=16&tk=478

And follow thru with the link to the pdf files at the bottom of the page
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:58pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by LegaSea Community Builder LegaSea Community Builder wrote:

Won't post the link to this view point from a Facebook page but will paste the text instead....I think the poster says a lot of right things...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:06pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes that is a good post. but for me that is all political. what I like about the show is that I am seeing what it is the guys actually catching the quota are doing and how they are going about to do the best they can to mitigate damage. end of the day they have been set rules to follow. now I don't entirely agree to these rules. but it is what it is. sure there are a few bad eggs out there breaking rules but majority are doing there best. I like to put things in perspectives to allow myself to understand, for example speed limits, if the government made the speed limit 110km majority of people will start driving 110km even though we have been told that 100km is safer. but we all like to get things a bit quicker and the law would say 110km so why not do that. not my problem the government changed the rules..
that might sound like rubbish to people but that's just a way I can understand things.

like I say I like the show because it shows what is happening at the front lines. some might say that where the change needs to be. but is actually in the parliaments.
and how many times in history has a political party gone in and said right we are doing this, this and this for the people. that's what they want so that's what we are going to give them. and then walked out the other side knowing that's exactly what they have done.

and before the thread gets away turning into yet another lets all moan about the government one again. just take the show for what it is SHOWING THE OTHER SIDE and what the boys catching the fish are doing. and if you want to take it like a fight then watch it even more closely maybe even repeat watch it because if you want to beat an opponent "the more you know about your enemy the greater chance you have at beating them"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 3:07pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why shouldn't we moan about it. It's broken. 

The stats are collected by a company owned by commercial fishing working out of the same office as the company lobbying on behalf of commercial interest. The cameras monitoring the boats are from a company owned by commercial fishing. 

More than one MPI senior manager categorically stated on several occasions on camera the reason they didn't prosecute blatant offending was because they took legal advice that they couldn't. That legal advice never existed. 

MPI won't release information they are obliged to release under the OIA. And it still leaves the question to be answered - why didn't they prosecute blatant offending?

But yes, it's nice to see some of them doing the right thing in spite of all that. It's the system they are operating under that is broken. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 3:36pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry Im with home bouy here.
Rather than turn this thread into rec vs commercial ***** session again, why not put any pre conceived thoughts any one may or may not have about the industry and just watch the series first, then make some comments as to the content of each program. You may even find each program enjoyable and even educational.
Yes the Ocean Bounty series maybe funded by the major fishing companies but really its your own sense of belief that there is some sort of conspiracy happening between Govt/MPI & Commercial that you would believe this program is nothing short of a PR stunt.

I seem to recall that not too long ago either on here or face-book (perhaps both) a lot whinging about the various other fishing shows and how crappy some were compared to others. There will always be those that favour one over the others and I see the Ocean Bounty series being not different.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:17pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whilst on topic, tune in to Country Calendar this Sunday showcasing the long line fishery in Mercury Bay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:22pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

why not put any pre conceived thoughts any one may or may not have about the industry and just watch the series first, then make some comments as to the content of each program. You may even find each program enjoyable and even educational.

Yes... A very fair statement
A view Im taking as the series goes on...
So far the pre series interview was not informative on anything , other than a very blatant propaganda statement which included Sinclar made it clear to sponsers he was going to make the program/ doco series as He sees it,  With comments that there was a lot to see and interesting eye opener stuff
The 1st program, as I stated above was rather a POSITIVE eye opener on just what happens when parties eventually get together on a resource not already damaged.
 Now with crossed fingers hope the rest of the series follows that theme...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:53pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am not opposed to comms, I am opposed to the system. Quota should never have been sold (ownership given), it should have stayed nz public owned and been leased.

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tonights screening... http://www.threenow.co.nz/shows/ocean-bounty/season-1-ep-2/S1247-430/M14380-638
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:43pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody good until the end when the captain of a boat that only fishes way way off shore tells us we should be proud of our inshore fishery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:36pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought the first episode was ok, showed both sides of the story and clearly things are working well in that particular fishery.

Second eps grinded my gears.  How can a new fishery actually end up with its catch improving?  they dont ask why! this ecosystem has been in place for the last few decades and now that we are fishing it its improving.. without any other change.... oh how the science of that makes so much sense.  

shout outs to MPI... oh and apparently our 30yo world class fisheries management only needs a few tweaks... *insert Tui ad*
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:54pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

I thought the first episode was ok, showed both sides of the story and clearly things are working well in that particular fishery.

Second eps grinded my gears.  How can a new fishery actually end up with its catch improving?  they dont ask why! this ecosystem has been in place for the last few decades and now that we are fishing it its improving.. without any other change.... oh how the science of that makes so much sense.  

shout outs to MPI... oh and apparently our 30yo world class fisheries management only needs a few tweaks... *insert Tui ad*

You know that famous quote...."If you torture the data long enough, it will confess"  MPI and their "scientists" are at it all the time.
Page  123 8>