kona blue marlin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kona blue marlin
    Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:44am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Over the last year I've been setting up a boat to fish in kona hawaii last month she was finally ready to fish 

before i left i spent a day up at bonzes factory picking his brain on where he used to fish,most of the spots are only 10 miles at the most from the ramp,he also said don't even check the weather its calm almost every day due to the huge volcano and kona being in the leigh from the trade winds 
first day out we left honokohau harbour setting the lures as you pass the last marker buoy (500m from the ramp)i turned left and headed along the 500m ledge which takes you to a spot called redhill which bonze said was his favourite spot

weather was perfect after about 30 mins of trolling down the ledge we got to redhill i started working my grid after only the second pass i see this massive hole behind the bonze grimmel on long rigger i yell out to karma watch long rigger after he missed his first attempt he came back angry and just smashed the lure what a sight

she then proceeded to tear the ocean apart by the time we cleared the gear it had gone deep i told karma to put as much drag as she could on it and up it came,only 20 mins later we had it boatside,the new rods i got from luke at yeehaa worked a treat lifting her up the fish was a little tired but kicking away nicely its whole head was lit up purple so we took some pics and let her go i would say around the 400 pound mark 

day 2 and 3 were blanks day 4 saw us at a spot called middle grounds we turned up there to find skippys busting up bait so started working the area we ended up going 3-3-0 that dayAngrya little frustrating but thats marlin fishing.we had some trouble with the tow vehicle so that was the end of the fishing but this was just our first set up trip so to get a couple of days fishing i was stoked back in june can't wait 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:20am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great stuff bro.

Chasing the dream.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 4:17pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To cool man what an adventure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 4:20pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

To cool man what an adventure

What he said
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 5:43pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Living the dream
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome stuff seagador!
Is boat coming back to NZ?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

na mate u can catch blues all year round so leaving it there going over every couple of months 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:33am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:30am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice looking rig, good on you. To be able to do that is fantastic, you only live once.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 5:19am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Segador very jealous. nice looking boat, can you give us some details about the rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:51am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Awesome Troy, very jelly
Thumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:25am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Awesome Segador very jealous. nice looking boat, can you give us some details about the rig.
its a 7m 1968 seabird hull completely gutted repainted new cabin and bimini top its got a 2016 200hp mercruiser with alpha 1 leg (petrol is cheaper then diesel over there)perfect little boat for over there as it is under 10 knots most days of the year  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cypri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:00pm
cypri View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

awesome , good on ya, i used to fish kona alot my bro still lives their - you probaly met him at the airport ! trailer boats and charter -  that first marker i lost a grander in 2010, we had some fish down by otec, and ono alley always has something in it , also the bouys way out (theirs 2 i think) quite often has mahi around them , if you lucky tigers sometimes come in the harbour they not shy , cool to see, i also had several bone fish out the harbour too ! best of luck with the boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:51am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers mate yeah cool place