Top water reels

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iFISH17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top water reels
    Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 5:45pm
iFISH17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys im looking at buying a reel that can handle catching a kingi off the rocks or from a wharf. I am looking into the low/mid priced reels.
This will be my stickbait/popper reel and be loaded with 50-80lb braid

Low price range:

$239 PENN Spinfisher V 8500 - 15.8kg Drag
$269 Fin-Nor Offshore 8500 - 27kg Drag

Mid price range:

$399 Shimano Saragosa 10000 15kg Drag
$499 Daiwa Saltist 6500 15kg Drag

I am new to Topwater fishing so i have no idea if these reels are suitable to do the job. Any reccomendations of other reels or feedback on these ones would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:49pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the 8000 Saragosa has a better retrieve ratio for topwater than the 10000
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:54pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi ifish i use to use a saragosa 10000 on a backbone elite top water rod with 80 pound power pro. It was a wicked setup for kings in the gulf. If you hunt around on trademe there are some decent top water set ups that are on there.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iFISH17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 8:01pm
iFISH17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Structfab ! The retrieve rate of the 8000 is slightly higher by 5cm. Would this make a big difference ? Remember i am new so i am only learning about all these small things that i never really cared about before. The reason i was going for the 10000 was for the spool capacity. If i was to go with the Saragosa i would most definately want to spool it with 80lb braid.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iFISH17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 8:10pm
iFISH17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Kingfish15 !

Thats the type of set up i will most likely go for unless someone has another decent set up in my price range. How did the reel hold up? Did you ever have any problems with it? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 8:32pm
ninja View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i had a offshore 9500 but sold it as it was way too heavy to cast stickies ,i brought a okuma azores 65 and it is fantastic and $400 combo , the rod is good too
buying lures is one of those things only beaten by lying-down activities
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iFISH17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 10:24pm
iFISH17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice ninja ! I just checked them out. Definitely one of the more affordable options around. I will keep this in mind before i choose my set up. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:02am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by iFISH17 iFISH17 wrote:

Thanks Structfab ! The retrieve rate of the 8000 is slightly higher by 5cm. Would this make a big difference ? Remember i am new so i am only learning about all these small things that i never really cared about before. The reason i was going for the 10000 was for the spool capacity. If i was to go with the Saragosa i would most definately want to spool it with 80lb braid.

Do what i did......Buy the sw8000 for the higher gear ratio and buy yourself a spare spool in sw10,000........they fit on the 8000 body and you have one spool with larger capacity should you need it......I got mine bloody cheap here in Aussie.Wink
I have 65 pound on the 8000 spool and 80 on the 10,000 spool...Covered.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 5:26am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Kingfish15 !

Thats the type of set up i will most likely go for unless someone has another decent set up in my price range. How did the reel hold up? Did you ever have any problems with it? 
Hi the sargosa 10000 held up really nice i personally think its better than the 8000 as it holds more line, i never had any issues with mine and they come with a 10 year Shimano warranty.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 5:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingfish15 kingfish15 wrote:

Thanks Kingfish15 !

Hi the sargosa 10000 held up really nice i personally think its better than the 8000 as it holds more line, i never had any issues with mine and they come with a 10 year Shimano warranty.
Cheers
A bit of clarity here.....both the 8000 and the 10,000 have the same body....the only dif is the gear ratio and size of spool........
So one reel is not better than the other........put a 10,000 spool on the 8000 and it will solve your dilemma and you will have a faster retrieve....which is useful for high speed popping/stickbaiting...... 
            If you plan on jigging with it.....the sw10,000 would be better for that but they are both excellent reels with the 10,000 spool having better line capacity and slightly higher drag......but hey you only need 200 to 250 metres of your chosen line to stickbait/popper....I have the 8000 and that was only because the 10,000 had gone....both have ten year warranty.......so either...or.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:27pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what rod is it going onto?
fin-nor lethal 100 is hard to beat for price vs stopping power & brute strength.
I currently have one loaded with 70lb braid which I am thinking about upgrading so might part with it. 2 birds with 1 stone

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iFISH17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:37pm
iFISH17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys !!! I never knew a 10000 spool could fit on a 8000. A good way for me to get the higher retrival rate + the 80lb braid. 

Strx7 - The rod will depend on which reel i buy so that i can match it accordingly. But more then likely i will get a Shimano backbone elite topwater rod 50-80lb. This fits into my budget quite well and go for about $200  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also have a look at the new daiwa bg series I have the 8000 size and find it to be a really good all round reel and not a bad price
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote iFISH17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:12pm
iFISH17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Roofless Roofless wrote:

Also have a look at the new daiwa bg series I have the 8000 size and find it to be a really good all round reel and not a bad price

$299 Brand new - 15kg Drag, pe8 400m, 135cm retrieve rate. On paper this reel is fricken awesome. Looking better then the Saragosa. Are you currently using it for stickbaiting/poppers ? Would love to hear how its working for you. Some things look great on paper till you actually use it. Thanks for throwing a spanner in the works though i was almost settled with the Saragosa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:24pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've not owned it long but have found it to be perfect for stickbaiting I sold my Stella once I felt how nice the bg was I've match it with a saltist rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Deja vu for me, I was asking these kinds of questions a few months ago. Got many different opinions. 

After much umming and aaahing I went with a Daiwa BG 5000h bought online and it's going nicely. My main hesitancy with it was the 10kg max drag, but people said I could feather the spool if necessary.
FYI, I mentioned the 15kg max drag of the Saragosa 10000 to a well-known tackle shop owner who said they actually test at a lot lower than the stated drag, which put a spanner in that works in my mind. 

The consideration which hasn't been touched on, other than by Ninja, is the weight of the reel. There is a big step up in the weight between a group of the reels mentioned above which weigh between 680 and 700g and the big reels - such as the Lethal 100 (873g), the Penn SSV8500 and the BG8000 - which are much heavier. Will that worry you over a few hours of casting stickbaits?
Several people said going for the Daiwa BG6500, which weighs nearly 200g more than the 5000, would be overkill and unnecessarily heavy for most of the fishing i was going to do. 

To help me get some clarity and comparisons I drew up a spreadsheet table with most of the commonly recommended lower to mid-range reels including the Fin-Nor Lethals 80 and 100, Quantum Cabos 80 and 100, Shimano Saragosas 8000 and 10000, and Spheros 8000 and 10000, Daiwa Saltist 6500 and BG5000 and 6000 with:
  •  the claimed max drag
  • the retrieval rate (cm per handle turn)
  • the weight
  • the price
(NB. I think line capacity is less valid for comparison, given the variance in diameter of various braids or mono line brands it's very hard for manufacturers to give an accurate capacity).

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 3:47am
Titanium
Titanium

10-15 kg of drag is plenty ........smoothness is far more important than if one reel has 15 kg and another has 10 kg.........you put 15 kg on a king on the boat.......Hope you got strong arms and good balance to stay in the boat and also stop your **** going over !....20kg of drag on your rod bent over?.......good luck with that tooOuch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:05am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exactly, LBD/. The likes of you, Muppet and others convinced me that 10kg max on the BG was plenty.
As many people know, Alan Hawk does thorough testing of the drags etc in his reviews. Sometimes he finds they're well short of stated max, but other times - such as the Lethal 100 and Cabo he was astounded at the drag generated for the price point of the reel.
BUT, he says drag power is one thing - the ability of the rest of the reel's engineering to support that drag is something else entirely.
So with the BG8000 he says the maximum he'd set the drag at would be about half the stated 15kg max, or you risk over-straining other parts of the reel.
I presume the likes of Stellas and Saltigas are engineered to cope with the stresses of big GTs and tuna etc at high drags. 
Watching Nathan on Big Angry Fish heaving on max drag with a Saltiga was something to behold. I'd have been pulled over the side and be water skiing behind the kingie...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 2:24pm
Bronze
Bronze

If you live in Auckland or close to it you could get your setup at the Hutchwilico Boat Show at ASB show grounds on the 18 - 21 of May. Lots of well known fishing stores and rod and reel makers have decent specials for the show and there are also seminars there for topwater run by professionals so you could ask them questions for your ideal set up.
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

I caught a 31kg king and a 40kg puka at Ranfurly on my ocea jigger 5000P which has 20 kg of drag with the carbontex washers and Cals drag plate up grade........I can tell you.....i didnt have a huge amount of "drag on" to catch them..........I remember Lance saying to me "Thats enough....if it wants to run .....let it"....I wasnt tired at the end of either fight either....didnt use a gimbal belt at all.....just my biceps/forearm.
Besides i think too many anglers get scared when they hear line screaming off the reel.........For me.....thats half the thrill.......especially on the baitrunner 6500B /4500B.....That the best screaming drag in the world for me.....the 6500 is awesome sound.........Once you get the buggers off the bottom and in some clean ground....Enjoy your screaming reel Smile.....is about all i can say but make sure that drag is smoooooth or it might not be screaming for longOuch
Good advice from the two above....Could save some money @ the boat show.
TTK...Nathan has the grunt to do **** like that but Milan is not too shabby for a dood his size eitherWink....sometimes you need strength to just hang onLOL
Page  12>