Amazing Day With Me Bro in Mokau!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing Day With Me Bro in Mokau!!!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:17pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Wasn't planning fishing the Spot we chose today as Mokau Beach was way to big to launch the little Mac, so Mick and I went South again towards Whitecliffs, got dropped off with boat and me neighbour came back with trailor to Mokau. Was a bit of a trip in boat back but nice conditions! We fished in close again 11 metres, at the mo i would suggest others who fish out West give it a go as the Big Snaps are thereBig smile First hour all we got was Baby and adult Kahawai on Sabiki's. Great-heaps of bait! Probably about one and a half hours into it first run on a Strayline, Yeh ha! Nice solid Snap around 5 kg's then the next hour four similar size. Because we had alot of bait we were chopping hunks and bodies over frequentley. It Started working and i got a huge run with a big Snap. Peeling serious line on every run i knew it was going to be a good one maybe a 30 lb da! Finally coming into view we both called it under, so unrolled measure, quick few shots and put e'm back to carry on its life. 86cm long. Micks turn came twenty minutes later with a snap a bit Smaller than my one, we also took a few quick photo's and released. Virtually all the Snaps we got in that golden two hours of Straylining were around 20lbs and bigger!All went back except one bloated up and wouldn't go down so we pulled anchor to get him! When we hit e'm like this we both think theres going to be a real big one down there to take on one of our big baits! Micks holding his out a bit in photo so it looks bigger but i definately turned the tables on him todayLOL A few photo's from a memorable day. Cheers......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:03am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

MEAN SNAPS GEOF! !!!!
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:01am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Geoff and Mick. 86cm is a beauty, 25lb?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:49am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome, as ever!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:53pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Loving that. Nice conditions there too. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Well done Geoff and Mick. 86cm is a beauty, 25lb?
Hi Craig, maybe a bit more. Next trip here, hopefully the big ones are still biting!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:04am
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish there Geoff.
Im starting to become a bit of a regular off Wai-Iti with my boat these days myself.
I have fished the area a lot over the years on my Kayak, also fished Tonga reef system and Waikawau a few times.
Loving the boat now and starting to look towards Puka in the winter months around the coast a bit.
Got into some fat Gurnard off Port on Wednesday and some really fat Tuna still around.
I will no doubt bump into you on the water some time.
Boat name is DAZE-OFF and call sign Crabman, normally monitor channel 6 on handheld.
Tight lines and big burley trails mate.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 9:46am
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Crabman, are you beachlaunching or fishing Wai-Iti from out of one of the river mouth Bars? Great fishing the whole area. Good to catch up out there sometime. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:48pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Snappa Geoff
Any theories as to why the area you fish consistently holds schnapper  of this size?
Don`t think fish that big are of much value to the commercial fleet are they?
Mind you,the reefs may help keep the nets away too.
You could make jewelry out of those big schnapper teeth as an income stream.
Duck shooting then whitebaiting.
The cycle continues.
Saw a great bumper sticker the other day.
`Adventure before Dementia`
You got the Adventure part sorted Geoff.
Thanx for continuing to share your Adventures with the rest of us on this board.
Would you/we ever want to live in any country other than NZ?
Certainly Blessed here to be sure.
Cheerz Geoff.

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:13am
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah mate beach launching no worries, I've got the FC430T which is ideal for beach launching. Normally launch from wai-iti in front of the campground or just hitting the Port locally fishing out to 80m getting amongst the Terakihi, Tuna and Kingies. Im not scared of looking around and have shot across to Tongo for a fish also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 10:06am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Snappa Geoff
Any theories as to why the area you fish consistently holds schnapper  of this size?
Don`t think fish that big are of much value to the commercial fleet are they?
Mind you,the reefs may help keep the nets away too.
You could make jewelry out of those big schnapper teeth as an income stream.
Duck shooting then whitebaiting.
The cycle continues.
Saw a great bumper sticker the other day.
`Adventure before Dementia`
You got the Adventure part sorted Geoff.
Thanx for continuing to share your Adventures with the rest of us on this board.
Would you/we ever want to live in any country other than NZ?
Certainly Blessed here to be sure.
Cheerz Geoff.

Hi 3rnzir, Sometimes i am still left Gobsmacked after sessions when myself and brother get a catch like the above! Firstly there is no pressure from the Comms as we have a protected zone for the Maui Dolfins. And since it was introduced the fishing seems to get better every year. I also think the bigger fish here school up and roam around together, as when we hit on to them somedays there are so many.  My methods with the little plastic boat although not for everyone there is no noise, like fishing on an oversize Kayak. We very rarely catch a big one below boat. Seems the further we can cast the big baits out the better the big ones like it! Love living here when your addiction is Snap Fishing, always enjoy sharing and helping others out through the Forum..... Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 10:46am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by crabman crabman wrote:

Yeah mate beach launching no worries, I've got the FC430T which is ideal for beach launching. Normally launch from wai-iti in front of the campground or just hitting the Port locally fishing out to 80m getting amongst the Terakihi, Tuna and Kingies. Im not scared of looking around and have shot across to Tongo for a fish also.
Cool, great boat for beachlaunching. If your keen one day on a mish, we could meet up Tonga, Rapanui?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 4:52pm
crabman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah mate could be on the cards for sure, always keen to meet other keen fishos Thumbs Up 
Love our bit of coastline and always keen to fish new grounds.
Possibly heading out after some Puka this weekend if the forecast holds otherwise might head mokau / Rapanui way from Wai-iti.
Could meet up on the water.
Im generally one to fish away from others as I love my own Burly trail Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:58pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow awesome Geoff.
Good catch up earlier to cheers.
Hopefully we'll get out there in the near future to nail a couple of goodies
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:27pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice catch Geoff.
Cheers