150 merc vs 150 suzuki

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150 merc vs 150 suzuki
    Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:15pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, am getting a new boat and have the choice of either of these motors. Merc has largest displacement and lightest of the two. I've heard Suzuki is a smoother and quieter running motor. With the very small difference in weigth and displacement on each engine, is it actually going to be noticable?
Does anyone have any opinions or experience on either brand which may help with the decison making?
I've curently got a 150 Zuk on my old boat, and its been a great motor, but would have no hesitation to change brands if the Merc was a better motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:24pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is the Merc a 4stk or Opti?
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:35am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

4 stroke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With the very small difference in weigth and displacement on each engine, is it actually going to be noticable?

What size boat? in saying that if well powered, over 5.5m then the difference will make no difference. I essence its at most no more than a full or emtey live bait tank

4S will always be far quieter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:59am
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have the 150 Merc on the back of mine and i like it. From memory the Merc and Suzi were very close for features with the Merc being a bit lighter, so it came down to having a local service center and talking to lots of other boating friends.
One thing i like with the Merc is "troll mode" for the smart craft gauges. I use this feature every time, either on the lake or in the ocean when fishing.
Only down side i found for the Merc is that you can't easily connect it to a NMEA 2000 network to interface to your other instruments without a very expensive ($500+) mercury interface unit. Other brands seem to natively talk NMEA 2000.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are these new engines?

Seem as they are so close in weight I would probably go for the one with the longest warranty, mercs used to do a five year warranty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 3:21pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Suzuki DF150 474 lbs
Mercury 150 4 stroke 455 lbs

My merc has a 3+2 warranty and a 20 hr service cost me about $600, although the dealer did day the cost remains almost the same at each of the 100 hrs or 12 months (whichever comes first) service intervals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:23pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You have the choice of smart craft gauges (which are great - i use them) or the new Vessel view 4 or 7 instrumentation  with your Merc 150 Four Stroke.
Both are good engines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info to date. To answer some of your questions:
Yes they are both brand new engines
They are going on a 6mtr glass boat (new)
Both options come from the same dealer, so convenienience for servicing is the same.
Suzuki has 5yr warranty. Mercury has a 3+2 - so effectively the same.

At first dealer was persuading me to go Merc because they are lighter and bigger cubes. Now hes changed his mind and suggested that as I already have a 2012 150 Suzuki I will not likely like the merc because it isn't as smooth running as the Zuk, and its noisier.
I'm wondering why the change of mimd from the dealer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:24pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

At first dealer was persuading me to go Merc because they are lighter and bigger cubes. Now hes changed his mind and suggested that as I already have a 2012 150 Suzuki I will not likely like the merc because it isn't as smooth running as the Zuk, and its noisier.
I'm wondering why the change of mimd from the dealer

"Not as smooth running" What does that even mean?
My Merc seems smooth enough - a couple of times i've had people remind me it is still running when anchored or at the dock as they are at the back of the boat sitting next to it and i can't hear it from the wheel.
Maybe they get a better margin on the Suzuki at the moment, but either options will work at the end of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whitigroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:52am
whitigroper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd look at the fuel burn figures and see what's most efficient if they are the same price to buy and who the best local service agent is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:14pm
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Both good engines, you will find if you weigh them they would be the same. Suzy is a little bit smoother due to twin cam, think American V8 and a lexus v8, 150 merc on certain boats will have more top end due to prop selection and gear ratio. Suzy will more than likely be better out of the hole due to big prop and gear ratio.

Both reliable and fuel efficient, Merc tends to be pretty competitively priced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:54pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the opinions guys. The possible bottom end performance advantage from the Suzy is good info thanks harryh, and gauge comments are also of interest and something I hadn't looked into.
Any further comments welcome - its all interesting reading, but sounding like its not going to make any significant diffference whichever way I go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 9:22am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Personally id defiantly go with the Suzi.   That being from a particular experience I had a few years ago in Australia.  Bought a brand new 2 stroke Merc 140. 

Within 6 months is sized solid.  Rather than it being replaced, the block was rebuilt, which i have to say I was non too happy about.  Looking back I should have kicked up a stink more at that point!

12 months after that it sized again while on a major trip to the north west of WA.  Basically it destroyed a 2 month trip that me and my wife had planned for years.  

And once again the motor was rebuilt.  The issue once again was a plastic drive sprocket for the oil pump.  When I questioned the dealer about what would happen if this happened again once the 2 year warranty had expired, I was told that the cost of the rebuilt would come to me at around $6,000.    This is after paying $14,500 for the motor 2 years prior. 

I kicked up a big stink, but mates in the marine industry told me that with Mercury this is common place and that they had such a huge bunch of lawyers behind them fighting it was pointless.

I ended up negotiating with the dealer and he gave me somewhat of a refund and the motor was replaced with a Suzuki which was a pleasure to use for the next 5 years without missing a beat. 

Mercury's aren't know as "The Black Anchor" around Australia for no reason!!Wink   Id never buy one again, and I implore everyone considering buying one, to think twice, it could be a very costly mistake!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:06pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think, as many others have stated in the past one can find horror stories for most brands, with particular models of most brand often having quirks.
My son has a 140 merc.. its a great engine... except bit prone to the gear change leg shaft bush can get a bit of corrosion/ stiff if not REGULARLY maintained
 Some yr yammys and suzis had corrosion issues..early evinrudes had a injection issue.. The list goes on..
 The throw in things like poor maintenance...and another .. where the LOCAL dealer... well at least a staff member, takes short cuts and misses part of the service...the merc bush above an example.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Suzuki has timing chain.  What does the merc have?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 3:59pm
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think most brands assess the opposition product when developing new engines. With the Merc coming out after the Suzuki maybe they used the same big cc, natural aspiration, good gear ratio concept that Suzuki used and developed it in their own way to suit their market. Might be slightly lighter but can just about guarantee if you were to weigh them out of the box side by side their may be a camshaft weight difference. I don't think you will go wrong with either. Having had both on the same boat value for money is merc, and smooth operation would be suzy. Get Merc's new prop hub if you go that way makes a big difference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 5:28pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by harryh harryh wrote:

Get Merc's new prop hub if you go that way makes a big difference.

+1 - the flow tourque IV hub is the way to go with the large heavy stainless props on the mercury. Ridiculous price in NZ (250+) but USD60-70 on ebay. Fixed the prop chatter in mine, so make sure you check that the dealer has fitted one (mine hadn't)
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005155.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 7:36pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by RogueOne RogueOne wrote:

Originally posted by harryh harryh wrote:

Get Merc's new prop hub if you go that way makes a big difference.

+1 - the flow tourque IV hub is the way to go with the large heavy stainless props on the mercury. Ridiculous price in NZ (250+) but USD60-70 on ebay. Fixed the prop chatter in mine, so make sure you check that the dealer has fitted one (mine hadn't)
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005155.html

Thanks for the advice harryh and rogueone. So is the sole purpose of the prop hub is to provide a smoother running engine?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 7:54pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mercury also appear to make a big deal about how simple their engine is to service - especially by the diy owner.
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of how easy this is, especialy compared to Suzuki?
I would assume that servicing myself would likely void warranty- something I'll check with dealer.
Page  123>