Electric Trailer Winches

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Trailer Winches
    Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:35pm
scorpian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking at getting a electric winch for my trailer, the boat is a 6.5m
tinny.
Have heard there are good and bad ones, can't remember which is which now.
Tried doing a search on here but nothing came up, mind you I never seem to be able to get it to work on here anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Power winch... I think marine deals may have a special on them at the moment.
 What to watch, espec if a full length keel trailer is speed. Most are only around 1.8m per minute at the 1st layer on the winch spool..as layers fill up , depending on drag it slows further. So 65.m boat.. distance ball park 5.5 m... that a very slow ... long time at a busy ramp.
 A non keel, the boat floats right into the trailer, far less distance... but still slow.
4x4 winches tend to be even slower.

My thought is .. if someone in front of me... matbe several boats in front, takes ages to pull up, far slower than a well geared hand winch, I would get annoyed....so why should I do the same to others.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:37am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My Powerwinch712 recovers my heavy Viscount quicker than I could manually winch BettyBoop onto the trailer using a single line pull. I also have added a wireless remote control which is brilliant. 🙂
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:49am
scorpian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks BB, How long have you had it ? Was the remote an extra ?.
Also, how do you power it, I was thinking of using a spare battery in the boot and alligator clips.
14 fpm seems a pretty good speed, would have to be happy with that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 12:19pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My boats a 6.2 mtr tinny, I had my battery mounted on the front of the trailer under the winch. No power drop and I just used a smart charger or you could use a small solar charger.

Make sure you get a bigger one than you need. The one I had was rated for the weight of my boat but after 4 years the main shaft snapped and that was the end of that. Never had a problem with speed, but I did upgrade from wire to the 3 inch nylon strap they supply, which I wouldn't do again. I think that is what may have caused the issues.

Powerwinch are now made in China so I don't think the quality is as good as they were. I placed it with a 2 speed 10 to 1 manual winch and I'm happy with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 2:39pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by scorpian scorpian wrote:

Thanks BB, How long have you had it ? Was the remote an extra ?.
Also, how do you power it, I was thinking of using a spare battery in the boot and alligator clips.
14 fpm seems a pretty good speed, would have to be happy with that.

Heya scorpion
I bought the remote ex trademe from a seller/importer in Auckland, for aproximatly $25 and following the enclosed instructions wired it myself. Came with 2x remotes. (Batteries not included )lolol.😉
I have run winch power to the front and rear towbars on my Prado, so no issues there.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:27pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The cheap ones tend to have small motors with lots of gearing gearing and very, very slow.

If you want a winch with a decent retrieve speed be prepared to pay for it. 

I used to have a US manufactured trailer winch that was fantastic.  Fast powerful and lasted over 15 years.  It had a shape more like a superwinch -wide and short.  I can't remember the brand or find anything that rings a bell on line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whitigroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 7:29pm
whitigroper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Warn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boat is an old commander, on a full length keel roller trailer around 1 ton fully loaded no ppl.
The Storm cloud drill was 2nd hand ex trade (builder) and had gone thru 2 sets of batteries...run on a new 1.5AH ni/cad for near on 4 yrs....
We head out around 20 to 30 trips per year.

Some months back it was slowing down and getting warm.
 Now replaced with a AEG lithium trade .. older model brought on sale...
It near brings the boat right up... super fast.. on high speed and hen the battery over load kickes in...leaves about 1m to hand wind.
 On slow speed still bring the boat up faster than my young fit son can wind it on....
Get at least 3 pulls from a single charge.

If not a keel trailer.. a wobbly trailer, the boat floats most of the way up into the trailer...and a far larger weight/ length boat can be pulled in with no effort
 1/2 the price of a quality winch.

Just be real careful when the boat gets to the snub/ V stop.. if bit late letting go of the  drill trigger you could snap your wrist very easy, it has so much torque.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 9:32am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i fitted a trailparts 4000lb atv winch to the front of my bertram 23 - best thing ever- the boat hovers around 3000-3500kg depending on the day and the winch pulls up like a dream- speed is faster than i could ever do it with the hand cranker. 
power connection wise i have a 175amp anderson connector mounted at the back of the truck with large cables running forward to the vehicle battery and an isolator switch. 
money well spent. 
Boat Name- Solace