Best bait for freshwater eels?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:13pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

We often get eels when snapper fishing around dark so I suspect that a nice 1/2 Pilchard would work just fine as well.

Just out of interest as I'm mildly fascinated (and disgusted!) by eels, are they "freshwater" eels or conger?
Freshwater ones migrating out to sea. Caught one a couple of weeks back in the harbour and another one a couple of weeks before that. Seem to get one or two every year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:39pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:29pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bit late in the piece and just a newby here but heres my 10 cents worth. Grew up next to the waipa/Waikato river and number one bait for eels was bacon. everything else caught them to but nowhere near in the same numbers. Worms were good for action but everything ate em, eels, catfish, rudd, and more than a couple of trout, The only thing that came close was a dead pidgeon from under the waipa river bridge. Tie a bit of line around the legs hang it in the water on the surface, wait for eel to get a grip and start to spin then slowly draw it out of the water up the bank where a well placed flick of the toe would see it further up the bank, man those suckers can move. helluva lot of fun and no hook to remove!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Makes sense, everybody like bacon 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've caught several, on trout flies. Not that this helps the original poster, but shows what a range of food they are happy to take.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:47am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Trout guts.  Eels will come from miles. 

I have one spot in the Karangahake Gorge where i can nearly always catch a trout and they will be chased about by a couple of big mofo eels as you play it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJ-475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:35am
CJ-475 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I find that lamb or pig entrails always work quite good. eels generally don't get too fussy about what they eat. once you catch one it is great smoked!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:53pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

X2 trout especially bloody gills
Page  <12