Dusk Straylining at its Best! Mokau.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dusk Straylining at its Best! Mokau.....
    Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:58am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all back on the keyboard within a few days from last report. Had one of those sessions i felt its worthy of being told. Wasn't planning on fishing at all. Huge easterly blew all morning, rough and yuck. Upon leaving from lunch back to work noticed wind had died down next to nothing. By 2 pm dead calm. Suppose you could call it the calm before the Storm! With big seas forcasted for a while the urge to fish was greater than work so i knocked off earlyLOL Raced around rigging up Mac Boat, Quick tow down to beach, i was on water at 3 pm. Decided to try in closer under 10 metres for first hour but no runs. Caught lots of bait on Sabiki though then headed out bit deeper to my best spot. Deployed Straylines and the wait began. 4.30 pm first run, landed nice Snap 6kg. From then on the bigger ones must of sniffed me baits out and decided to stay aroundBig smile. Just rotated two rods one in one out ready to go. Within minutes the big baits hit bottom, a screaming run! Only kept three for friends one around 20 lbs. But would of released close to ten big Snaps. A couple in the 20 lb range. The whole time i was thinking of Kitno and Solem8 from Tauranga. Other Forum members iv'e become mates with recently would of smashed there PB's if they were there! It was an airy calm, Dark Skies above and little baitfish could be heard from long distances boiling up now and then. Pulled the pick right on dusk and raced in the few k's back to beach, leaving the big Snaps going hungry! Haven't had fishing that good for a while! Took a couple of shots- one of a big Snap before i popped out the big circle hook and watched him take off, and three i kept. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:48am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quote "But would of released close to ten big Snaps"

I am suitably jealous Pinch!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:22pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The time will come!!
Well done Geoff
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:19pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Geoff. You ever drop down livies for those big boys? or do you only use dead baits. Awesome fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:29pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some nice fish there mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:36pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by foulplay foulplay wrote:

Hi Geoff. You ever drop down livies for those big boys? or do you only use dead baits. Awesome fishing
Hi Foulplay, have experimented but have found on my own if a livey down and a couple of Straylines out from me little boat tangles seem to happen with the one swimming around. Also when straylines out i have a sabiki down catching bait which can also tangle up! With Dead baits only can control lines where they are positioned. Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:59pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

WTF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:36pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome few hours again Geoff. Looks calm alright. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 3:38am
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work Geoff good report.
Cheers