Kawhia harbour first boat first trip out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kawhia harbour first boat first trip out
    Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:51pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Headed out to Kawhia harbour to take our new Fish City FC390 with its 30hp outboard out for its first run, after a bit of humor at the ramp getting used to the tiller steering, the tide was heading out and blowing an easterly which made for a choppy trip out to Te Maika we were accompanied by a mate of mine in his 12 footer who knows his way around the harbour. 

After anchoring for an hour or two between the wharf and the point and catching nothing we decided to head further towards Nathans point into calmer waters and check out the Te Waitere channel till just before dead low tide where my ugly stik black tiger and baitrunner 6000 combo got a good workout on an eagle ray which was released once up to the side of the boat followed by a couple of undersized snapper that were thrown back to fight another day. 

After that  my partner and I decided to head back to the harbour mouth where we anchored well back from it once we had seen it had calmed down to give the deeper water a go which was a good move as our baits started to get hammered the minute we put our baits over. 
My partner got 3 nice pan sized snapper then she got what she had not bargained for something bigger that gave the Penn 850ssm and 7ft jarvis walker combo as well as the missus a very good workout with my guidance on how to play it to the side of the boat so she would not lose the fish the result was a nice 3KG snapper was netted and bought into the boat we were stoked with our results. 

Even though I had only caught one snapper at 30cm which is the rule on our boat that nothing under 30cm shall be kept with the exception of bait fish and livebaits i enjoyed seeing the other half enjoying a fishing trip for a change as all of our previous fishing has been surf casting and now that we have a boat she is able to take part a lot more in the fishing than when we are at the beach.

My partners first good sized snapper and one of many more

Till next time tight lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice. Bet you feel justified getting the boat already!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 7:58am
Gold
Gold

Indeed i do smudge it is going out again this weekend for the kawhia easter comp and hopefully i can get my first kingfish on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:47am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go the little boats!Great first up trip hunter, nice Harbour Snap for PartnerBig smile How do you rate The FC  after its first outing? Always hearing good things about them......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:19am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Go the little boats!Great first up trip hunter, nice Harbour Snap for PartnerBig smile How do you rate The FC  after its first outing? Always hearing good things about them......

I like it compared to a 14ft ramco ranger i used to hire up north of a guy that had self skipper boats and the 12ft ramco ranger i went for a ride in a couple of weekends ago it is far more stable, very roomy in the cockpit for a 13 footer and it gave a very pleasant ride in the slop that we experienced. Even when i got it on the plane later in the day it was a very nice ride. Only negative is the tiller steering i really need a small extention handle for it so i don't have to reach back so far while on the move.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:24pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice harbour snap there. He's got his camo stripes on aswell.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:57am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Hunter 708 saw this post of yours while looking - enjoyed reading - will post when I get out maybe in a few months I m in a Mac 360 (forward steer) with 30hp so similar size boats. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 7:01pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Hey Hunter 708 saw this post of yours while looking - enjoyed reading - will post when I get out maybe in a few months I m in a Mac 360 (forward steer) with 30hp so similar size boats. 

All good mate drop me a PM if you ever do take your boat to Kawhia f if you want to go out in Tandem I go over to Te maika a bit and fish the harbour mouth at dead low and also strayline at Purimu rocks on the outgoing, I am still learning the harbour and always look forward to seeing what it will throw at me each time I go out. Mate of mine works for Dove charters out there and we normally hang out on the water when he is not out on one of the boats.

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:31am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

All good mate drop me a PM if you ever do take your boat to Kawhia f if you want to go out in Tandem I go over to Te maika a bit and fish the harbour mouth at dead low and also strayline at Purimu rocks on the outgoing, I am still learning the harbour and always look forward to seeing what it will throw at me each time I go out. Mate of mine works for Dove charters out there and we normally hang out on the water when he is not out on one of the boats.
cool sounds like a plan...your mate on Dove charters would either be flat out on charters or waiting for bar to settle down and keen to get a line in the water?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:59am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geez I miss dingy fishing - something about it that spins my wheels. Great memories.
That harbour fishes well and looks like you have some good spots and knowledge already getting you the results. Aotea is another beaut if you know it.

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:52pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Geez I miss dingy fishing - something about it that spins my wheels. Great memories.
That harbour fishes well and looks like you have some good spots and knowledge already getting you the results. Aotea is another beaut if you know it.

Aotea is awesome but unfortunately I only have a station wagon and no 4x4 to launch at Aotea however I do surfcast up by the mouth of Aotea at the end of the walking track. The FC390 is a hell of a lot more than a dinghy they are built as a proper boat I have even had it out at the Waiheke mussel farms 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:01pm
Gold
Gold

cool sounds like a plan...your mate on Dove charters would either be flat out on charters or waiting for bar to settle down and keen to get a line in the water?

He does get busy during the summer (conditions permitting) and Dwayde only calls him in when he is needed over winter, my mate lives for fishing and when he has not got a rod in his hand or out on the charter boat he is generally working on that big white boat in the empty section at the boat ramp helping his mate to get it fixed up or he is catching up with other boaties when they come in to see how they got on and he is the one who is guilty of rekindling my love for boat fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:03am
Titanium
Titanium

He does get busy during the summer (conditions permitting) and Dwayde only calls him in when he is needed over winter, my mate lives for fishing and when he has not got a rod in his hand or out on the charter boat he is generally working on that big white boat in the empty section at the boat ramp helping his mate to get it fixed up or he is catching up with other boaties when they come in to see how they got on and he is the one who is guilty of rekindling my love for boat fishing.
"one who is guilty of rekindling my love for boat fishing." - good thing to be guilty of I reckon.... yes I have wondered about Aotea harbour.  I have an AWD....?
Yeah Reel Deal - small boat fishing is real " less is more" - such a buzz to get out and catch dinner - what it is all about I think.