Commando Style! Mokau Snaps...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commando Style! Mokau Snaps...
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:16pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big smileHi all been a while since i posted a report, had a great day out so thought about time for a post. A good mate of mine Aaron who lives in Mokau as well recently updated to a bigger boat. He purchased it from a bloke on Waiheke Island. Some of you may recognise it as there wouldn't be to many around. Its a Commando Trooper 5.6 centre  console. Very Solid Stable boat! Sea a bit big for the little Mac so off i went with Aaron over the Bar. Waves were up a bit, a patient wait turning round a few times waiting for a lull, over we went easy. The plan was to set four craypots up the coast fish four hours retrieve pots and back in. Up the coast where cray reefs are they are fairly close in to shore. The Swell was up a bit much to safely do it so stacked them in front of boat and headed Fishing! We fished my favourite spot first then Aarons later on. First two hours slow as then finally some action! Aarons become a bit of a convert to Straylining as well in the last year and has caught some beaut Snaps, many over the 20lb mark... The fish we kept today were all of similar size 5-7 kgs. Both spots produced same size fish so we shared the bragging rightsLOL At one stage a big Kahawai Head i had out got a huge screaming run but didn't eventuate to a hook up! Only the Biggies take them on! maybe next time.. Home time, easy trip back over bar, cleanup filleting and a few beers! A few pics of keepers- myself and Aaron and one of his boat back at Ramp. Any others own Commando's? Was very impressed. Cheers......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:57am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report - thanks Geoff.  Not familiar with boat but does the business by the sound of it.  There are so many brands out there now....shame out not getting the cray pots out I remember that spot as we visited it once as I recall and swapped a Snap for a cray, amazing as only spot in area.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:28am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Geoff, you must have almost had enough of all those tiddlers by now.
Roll on cooler months
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 10:44am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You did well to get out yesterday. We got a pounding on the bar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 12:38pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sink sink wrote:

You did well to get out yesterday. We got a pounding on the bar.
Hi sink, we got out before top of tide struck a good lull, stayed dry! Was that your trailer on Holden Commadoor? Good Fishing? Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 2:19pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah that was us. Dropped a marlin on a livie. Had good snappas last thing. The fishing is as good as I can remember.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great work Geoff you know how to do it that's for sure!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:22pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top action and results there Geoff as always!Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 8:44pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi sink.still the odd marlin around.we had one in the gear had a swipe at the long rigger at the nipple.went up to knuckle really nice water high 19s.heaps saury and the odd tuna around.another one was dropped at boat 120 off oakura. How deep were you wen you hooked up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 9:12pm
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Hi sink.still the odd marlin around.we had one in the gear had a swipe at the long rigger at the nipple.went up to knuckle really nice water high 19s.heaps saury and the odd tuna around.another one was dropped at boat 120 off oakura. How deep were you wen you hooked up.
Yeah been a few about. Apart from a double at 100m on the way back from the trench, all our fish have been between 40 and 47 metres. lots of skippies about with some perfect bait sized ones about a foot long.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 7:48am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Solid snapperthere...not like the millions of tiny pannies in the local gulf, rather motivating..just those easterlies this side aren't. Good trip by the looks cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:20am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mokau rocks again..!!!!ClapClapClapClapClap
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"