Marlin in the rain

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin in the rain
    Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 4:36pm
C Horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone caught marlin on the lures in heavy rain?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
C Horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does rain effect them balling up the bait?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had a memorable strike in very heavy rain... big striped marlin leapt across our transon with lure in mouth chaffing line on long corner. Had few other blind strikes on heavy overcast or rainy days. But that one that day I willl always remember as it was hosing down and you could barely see 50 meters. Remember because we were close to nth end off knights but couldn't see them.
IMOP rain makes no difference and low light in right place may actually help you if you run over one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:44pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

caught them in rain before...  I doubt its a factor..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:30pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught a few in the rain.
Affects the other anglers but not the winder!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:03pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never ever catch marlin in the rain, I don't go out when it's raining! Tongue
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:24pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish have pretty good raincoats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:53am
C Horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

shaneg that is awesome!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:53am
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The edge of a rain squall is definitely a hot spot. There is a pressure change and the sound of the rain on the water is almost the same as the sound of baitfish being worked up. The Japanese have sprayed water onto the surface for years to attract fish.

Taking sportfishing charters to the next level.
Blue Water Adventures Ltd
Whangaroa / Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:13am
C Horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Captn Phil Captn Phil wrote:

The edge of a rain squall is definitely a hot spot. There is a pressure change and the sound of the rain on the water is almost the same as the sound of baitfish being worked up. The Japanese have sprayed water onto the surface for years to attract fish.

that is awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:14am
C Horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Have had a memorable strike in very heavy rain... big striped marlin leapt across our transon with lure in mouth chaffing line on long corner. Had few other blind strikes on heavy overcast or rainy days. But that one that day I willl always remember as it was hosing down and you could barely see 50 meters. Remember because we were close to nth end off knights but couldn't see them.
IMOP rain makes no difference and low light in right place may actually help you if you run over one.
that is awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:19am
C Horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well went out at 6 this morning to catch one in the rain but it was a bit to lumpy , have to be next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:15am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Phil

How many marlin have you caught on the edge of rain squalls?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 4:00pm
Gold
Gold

Why is that Plonker?
 I have had more than enough results to keep me happy, but I'm curious. Is there a magic number that makes that suggestion believable or something?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Joshy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:27pm
Joshy123 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We got one in the rain on the weekend...called a mate over he hooked up as well....seems to me like they still bite in the rain!Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote windup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
windup View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

. I've caught half a dozen marlin in a day several times and there has been no sign of rain. I've also fished plenty of days in the rain without raising one. I would say if the rain squall is over water where there are no fish then it probably definitely would not be a hotspot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:28pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

scrap the SST's and start looking for barometric presure differentials......

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:48pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

here we go..  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:33am
Gold
Gold

Just to clarify. When i suggested that the edge of a squall has been productive for us, we have obviously been in areas holding some fish.
My thoughts are that the sound of the rain draws fish in and/or raises them, as they would to a bait school being worked.
In my opinion, anywhere that has fish closer to the surface and in a more concentrated area, is going to be more productive.
Thats just my theory and I've benefited from it on several occasions.
Im sharing it because it may help.
What you do with it is up to you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:16am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why is that Plonker?
 I have had more than enough results to keep me happy, but I'm curious. Is there a magic number that makes that suggestion believable or something?

Hi Phil

So how many?

People's idea of a hot spot can be very different.
Page  12>