Malborough dart good/bad

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malborough dart good/bad
    Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:44pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gidday everyone I posted about first boat options with yas and was stuck between mac 420 and kiwi Kraft 440 but as the voice of reason always does(my wife)have decided that realistic budget for us at mo is 5k so that's why I'm asking bout malborough dart there's one in alexandra on trade me for 4k 70 Yamaha fish finder etc etc its a 1989 hull anyone had any experience with them ....I try to upload photo....cherz       
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not sure how to upload photo won't work for some reason this the listing number on trade me 1284496141.....he told me the motor having timing issues so will drop price... trailers in good knick and he said the hull in good condition for age i will get someone who knows to look at it tho...cherz guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 4:31am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice tidy looking boat - be aware if you compare seaworthiness of this to Mac 420 (I owned one) - no comparision - is a sheltered harbour lake boat - but if that is all you can afford at least the missus will enjoy as you will only be going out when conditions are flat calm.  Try it in a chop on your own first!

Not sure how available parts are for old motors like this - check this out carefully as you could be up for a new motor very soon which offsets the "cheap" price (though one way to fool missus LOL)
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 6:35am
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cherz mate yea motor issue worries me a bit...there's a 14.6 sea nymph in timaru on trade me with a big 115 evinrude on it does that motor sound bit big for that boat they want 6k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:49am
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Used to sell them and had two of my own bit tender , but a neat strong wee boat, dependant totally on how they have been looked after, my last one had a 70 merc on it, was a bit of overkill, but was used in pretty ordinary conditions up round d'urville French pass area with no issues, in fact was one of the dryer boats I have had.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa-Schnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 12:41pm
Whippa-Schnapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes a 115 sounds a bit heavy for the sea nymph. I have a 90 on mine and I wouldn't want any more weight back there.
keen fisho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:13pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

In every generation of Evinrude the 115hp is physically the same as the 90hp, just different exhaust, cylinder heads and carb mainjets to get the additional hp.
So no more weight but be wee bit more careful with throttle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd be worried about eh effects of the 115 on the hull and structure if it has been run hard.  Even 90HP is getting up there for a 14.6 boat. 

I had a 16ft with 90HP on it and it hauled ass, even after I beefed up the hull and transom (adding weight).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 7:19pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

there was a extremely nice example at American boats the other week.Ask for Nigel good guys to deal with too can arrange freight and what have you 
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:40pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for info guys I got no idea bout outboards...and only boat I've owned is a fishing kayak (the family won't all fit)....understand I'm not guna get later model outboard with a boat worth 5k hopefully find one that's been well serviced tho...didn't see that boat on American boats website Cosmo maybe sold or not on there yet...here's a listing for the sea nymph in timaru 1290395365 and another for a fireball 1276830325 it's got brand new aux looks alright any thoughts on motor brands etc thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 5:42am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PaulD PaulD wrote:

Thanks for info guys I got no idea bout outboards...and only boat I've owned is a fishing kayak (the family won't all fit)....understand I'm not guna get later model outboard with a boat worth 5k hopefully find one that's been well serviced tho...didn't see that boat on American boats website Cosmo maybe sold or not on there yet...here's a listing for the sea nymph in timaru 1290395365 and another for a fireball 1276830325 it's got brand new aux looks alright any thoughts on motor brands etc thanks
Aux no use on a boat unless needed for trolling - plenty of threads about this - if you don't trust your main motor why are you out there and how useful is a small aux if you are in rough sees against wind and current?  Depends on your boating of course but another motor to look after and more weight on back.
Re brand - at age you are looking at regular flushing after use and regular servicing and use most important - any motor if neglected will have issues after 10 or 20 years.  That said I would avoid cheap Chinese brands like parsun etc unless very new...stick to Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, mercury, Johnson, evinrude etc.  Some models have known issues so is worthwhile talking to local boat shop if you are intending to get serviced by them - no point in buying a motor they wont touch...though you can do yourself of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 7:41am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Paul, I would highly suggest giving the voice of reason a well deserved break. Maybe cook up her favourite meal or two, do the laundry, clean the house, a massage or three. 

Then slip in the boat factor and try bump her reasoning higher keywords like 'safety for the kids, trouble free' and so on.

Otherwise i'd say at 5k you'd be limited to fyrans / dinghys. Unless you are handy and know / don't mind learning how to fix up older boats that need some love. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 12:26pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ha mate yea that sounds like a good plan butter her up a bit😉....summers over for us down here so mite be better waiting till later on before I buy anyway..save few more pennys...am bit weary bout buying older fi glass boats or any older boat specially taking my kids out.but they a lot cheaper.., if I could buy new probly go for stabi 1550 be a lot of massaging folding washing etc for that tho 😊.....I c one of the guys on here got 4m zenith fisher boat think it's a zenith?they look alright would fit in my garage perfect are they good wee boat.....probly going off topic a bit being new to boats and all ,theres to many to choose from lol..cherz appreciate the advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 1:46pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

...stick to Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, mercury, Johnson, evinrude etc.

And the mighty Tohatsu LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 4:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

...stick to Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, mercury, Johnson, evinrude etc.

And the mighty Tohatsu LOL
sorry yes forgot that one I have one myself but it was sold as a Mercury - great motors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:54am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've got that Marlborough on my Watchlist also. It's a very 'classic' looking boat with nice lines. Too far away from Auckland though for me.

This just came up on TM:

Motor needs a recon (or a 2nd-hand motor) and you need a trailer but it's down your way. A cheap start project?

Anyway, good luck with search.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 6:10pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate.....maybe good option...looks quite tidy will check it out..

Cherz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 9:24pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How's your search going Paul?

Here's another Marlborough at a reasonably cheap price, just needs some interior valet effort:

Lake boat. 40 + 2 HP.
Something cool about the nice 'Retro' look they have imo.

Best wishes,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 1:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You want a small glass boat go for a formula, or the same hull used in the haines SF485. a legend hull. VERY popular and well sort after still do this day in Aus.

but likely out of your price range. my old one use to do 80kph through a chop.

with a good bilge pump, nasty days will feel a little safer in the low freeboard, but i dont think id feel any safer in a mac. the mac is just more stable, the glass hull will be a smoother ride and likely less wet imo.

$5k will get you a bottom end sea nymph 146, or a top end v13 with a newish engine. ive seen the v13 used as spearfishing boats.

a lot depends on experience and obviously not going out in 20 knot+ days, which i wouldnt go out in any boat to be fair, i hate wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:05pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How ya going mate
yea the malboroughs look like a good wee first boat for me and that one won't break the bank... mite need a bit of work maybe...
I'm hoping winter time may bring in some more cheap boats like that one....not guna rush now that summer's gone tho...
Cherz for link mate
Page  12>