SB rod, what's people are using nowadays.

Page  <1 45678 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 2:58pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree. I had a flick with an OA mircrowave in Hunting and Fishing and liked the feel but those guides looked troublesome.
The Shimano KAOS look nice but appear to be aimed at 40-70gm jig heads so too heavy for 5-10gm softbait jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 3:01pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

What are recommendations for a softbait rod around 8ft? I currently use Offshore Illusion SB so 7ft.

I have 3 model at 8ft and 8ft 2".
3-5kg is 8ft and has short butt with cork grips
4-7kg and 5-9kg are 8ft 2" and have long butt section with split grips. All have Japanese toray carbon blanks with nano composites and all fuji components. Wont buy better value and great casting ability and sensitivity, yet very powerful blanks
Just as good for casting micro jigs too which is a bonus
RRP $239 so very affordable compared to some other rods

Do you have a brand name they are sold by or are they Kaveman rods? I’m not a fan off shore butt rods. What weights are theses rated for a star as jig head weight? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 3:20pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

These are marketed under kaveman tackle brand name

The 4-7kg is rated for casting 7-30g and the 5-9kg rod rated to 45g but both are capable of more. Very sensitive tips too so you will never miss a bite.
We also stock extra top half of each model in case of breakage so no need to wait to get another top section.
 Had a few breakages, albeit mostly from silly angler error. eg chilly bin sliding, car doors high sticking once. lol
All rods are 2 piece mid jointed
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 4:34pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't broken mine yet Kaveman and I have lifted some good sized fish with it!
I figure just about any rod can handle any snapper if you fight it for a couple of minutes but the test of a rod is that king that scoffs down your lure and heads for another time zone.

Most worringly when you have the rod in one hand and the net/gaff in the other and it decides to kick up a fuss while you are close to high sticking the gear!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:19pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top catch $130 deal Shimano and Catana rod works sweet as a nut.
Caught some decent snapper, seems ok so far...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

These are marketed under kaveman tackle brand name

The 4-7kg is rated for casting 7-30g and the 5-9kg rod rated to 45g but both are capable of more. Very sensitive tips too so you will never miss a bite.
We also stock extra top half of each model in case of breakage so no need to wait to get another top section.
 Had a few breakages, albeit mostly from silly angler error. eg chilly bin sliding, car doors high sticking once. lol
All rods are 2 piece mid jointed
Thanks for the clarification. They sound great but as other posters have indicated "you need to feel" the rod in hand to get an understanding off if you like the action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:07pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Purchased an Ocean Angler Microwave V2.5. Felt nice in the shop, had a reel on it too and balance felt good. 
Cheers for the reply's.  Will provide feedback after being out on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 10:06pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I too am after a softbait rod, anyone got a rod lying around.... needs to go with a Shimano exsence oh reel....
Pm me...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:37pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well took the new rod out for flick over the weekend. It's actually a V3, the guy in the shop wrongly referenced it as a V2.5.
It is a nice rod to use and the almost 8ft length is great for casting. Didn't appear to cast any further than my Offshore rod but it is lighter for sure.
So first 4 casts resulted in 3 snapper and a puffer fish haha. Got a small kingie and then limited out on snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 7:08am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well took the new rod out for flick over the weekend. It's actually a V3, the guy in the shop wrongly referenced it as a V2.5.
It is a nice rod to use and the almost 8ft length is great for casting. Didn't appear to cast any further than my Offshore rod but it is lighter for sure.
So first 4 casts resulted in 3 snapper and a puffer fish haha. Got a small kingie and then limited out on snaps.

Glad you like it, heard some very average reviews of those rods. The offshore rod is a much better built rod. (i have the 6-10kg)
My own softbait models will outcast my Offshore rod by miles and much more sensitive.
Shame you couldnt have tested one of mine before buying.
Good luck with the fishing, heaps around at present
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:35am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If anyone is looking for a relative "cheapie", the new Shimano Cantana Nanos handle nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 10:47am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

I too am after a softbait rod, anyone got a rod lying around.... needs to go with a Shimano exsence oh reel....
Pm me...

Contact Greg at Gofish he had a nice G Loomis overhead 7ft very nice he may do a deal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:15pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Glad you like it, heard some very average reviews of those rods. The offshore rod is a much better built rod. (i have the 6-10kg)
My own softbait models will outcast my Offshore rod by miles and much more sensitive.
Shame you couldnt have tested one of mine before buying.
Good luck with the fishing, heaps around at present

Yeah early days so I can't say too much about it. Would have liked to try your rods but logistics not feasible. The OA was only $299 so not a big outlay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:21pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK, after todays trip I think I need (need, not want) an 8 foot or so light SP/microjog rod, cast up to say 15g, spinning outfit.  Suggestions for rod and reel please!  Money is not exactly no object, but this will be a retirement gift to myself, so I want something that will last me out, and give me pleasure in my later years Smile.  No, not sex, fishing tackle.  Lasts longer.

(PS.  Yesterday i mentioned this to Her Indoors and she said "go on, alright then".  I do not intend to ask twice.  I do not intend to make sure she understood the original question.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If I was able to afford to upgrade my reels (an older model Stradic and the newer FK, which I both really like and are still going strong) - and avoiding Daiwa's mag seal because I'm still confused about that in terms of cost and difficulty of service - I would go for a Twin Power 3000 XD. Read some great reviews and it looks like a very sweet reel. 

In terms of rod, it's not that easy to get an 8' rod which is in that really light class. Definitely see if you can try one of Kaveman's light range in the hand - specifically designed for what you're after and they have some strong supporters.

Depending on whose opinion you value, rivals include the Ocean Angler Giko (7' 11") - and maybe one of the Okuma Nano Matrix?  Most of the other long rods in the market here are aimed at the heavier end of the casting range.

I would seriously do some research on Australian sites re Daiwa (I have a Generation Black which I really like, and they stock more long rods over there) and also on https://www.completeangler.co.nz/rods-60/spin-and-softbait-62/ ;

They have some really nice rods that aren't available up in Auckland, which they bring in for the canal market.

Also, check out some of the Major Craft or other light shore jig rods on the Japanese sites. They have all the top Fuji guides etc. Not particularly expensive to import, though watch the NZ$400 limit for GST waiver.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:49pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Lester.

Too many rods, too little time.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:19pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brmbrm, any consideration given to Shimano Shadow X Nano that Nathan and Milan used in the estuaries for snapper and kingis and MightyBoosh has? Price point under $200 and they seem to perform well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:56pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The daiwa generation black series are a good look, I have one that guests use that I take out, heaps of power and light to cast all day, I have gone for a Daiwa Morethan at 10.5 ft now, match with certate 2500 reels.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:57am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

The daiwa generation black series are a good look, I have one that guests use that I take out, heaps of power and light to cast all day, I have gone for a Daiwa Morethan at 10.5 ft now, match with certate 2500 reels.

Nice set ups! I think you mentioned the Gen Blacks right up near the top of this thread, and I took a look.
My Gen Black is the 'Supercasta' - only 7'6". I prefer the 8' range rods, but already had a rod in the same heavier rating as the 'Slugger' I think you have, which is 8" - but for lures up to 60g.

I also have a Microwave v1 and I can't remember ever having any kind of wind knot or tip wrap with either that, or the Supercasta. I'm impressed with the K Guides on the Daiwa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Message Sent.
Page  <1 45678 10>