Can I take my boat to the Little Barrier Island

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mwskuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I take my boat to the Little Barrier Island
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:44pm
mwskuzzy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good day, 

Apologies if this is in the incorrect forum but I need some advice on whether I can take my 3.8 meter tinny out to Little Barrier Island. I'm sure technically I could but I am trying to ascertain whether it would be a good idea safety wise? Maximum 2 people on the boat. 

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mwskuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:51pm
mwskuzzy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forgot to mention, I'll be launching from the town of Leigh which is roughly 40km from the Little Barrier Island. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:04pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've taken my 3.7m boat to the Hen and Chicks with 3POB from paura bay and often do 60-80km trips in a day (Saturday had a blast around the bay of islands then zipped out to the hole and rock). Weather would be your biggest factor obviously. Anything is possible just be smart about it.

With the 25hp 4 stroke suzuki pretty much just do WOT everywhere if the conditions allow it (28mph) other wise in chop its usually back down to 21mph for comfort. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:25pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Low tidal current, no wind against tide are factors that really make a huge difference to that stretch of water i.e. chop
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not sure how to take this post.

If you have the seamanship and experience to do the trip then yes. If you have to ask then no. seeing as how you are asking then my answer is no.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:27am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its a long way back to safety even if it chops up a little, sure some guy will pop up and say he has been out there in his bath tub, but you are a long time dead. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mwskuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:11am
mwskuzzy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the response guys, the truth is yes, I've only owned the boat for a few months and absolutely do not want to take any unnecessary chances. To be safe, i'll fish closer to shore until I have more experience in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:41am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do a Coastguard Dayskipper course and join up!  Carry the safety gear they recommend - then after you have boated locally for a while try going further afield.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:20am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I remember the channel/passage outside Coro before Barrier is known as a pretty rough bit of water and can stand up very quickly.
I am sure someone told me some horror stories of people getting kicked hard by that patch of water.
Anyone care to expand/remind me?

Maybe coming from north it's not a factor?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:18am
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Colville Channel between Coro and Barrier - Huge currents, whirl pools and big swells particularly from the East.

Craddock Channel between Barrier and little barrier. Big currents and definately watch for wind against tide. We got hammered in a 33ft launch with a 20k+ SW and incoming tide last weekend. Even at 8 knots had waves coming over the bow. 

Jellicoe Channel between little barrier and leigh - not quite as bad in my experience but can really rough up in a NW wind that funnels down the coast - had a few hidings coming back in that.

Really want variables with a light seabreeze in the arvo in a boat that size to do lil barrier and be 100 percent confident in the forecast - i.e big high with no wind predicated the next day either in case the timing is wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:02pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I wouldnt. Sure it could be done but it could very easily turn bad as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 3:31pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll be launching from the town of Leigh which is roughly 40km from the Little Barrier Island.
 3.8m tinny

Lot of open water across there.. even thu maybe only  about an hr to get there...Then there is change of tide, maybe wind against tide to chop things up...could be a long trip home.
And thats not taking in account any ocean swells that maybe coming in
Throw in inexperience in small boat heavy seas...assuming have VHF and all the gear....

Put into perspective..
We have a 5.5m cabin and very well powered...to head up the  sheltered  Waiheke channel, quick trip across to the coro coast, run up the coast, then a quick jump across the channel...
I have had the boat out in seas with waves breaking at eye level, waves going right over the cabin and bimini... with no concerns...yet choose very carefully a barrier trip... KNOWING what the tides currents are going to be doing and when...knowing the gap between the iso bars and what they are doing... before and after.
Doing it in a 3.8m.. yep do able but little too much 'hero' for my liking

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:02pm
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have been out there many times and made the comment,look at those mad buggers in that tiny boat,there going to get a thrashing on the way back.It can get very unpleasant out there very quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right now no need to go that far. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:30pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The main problem in my mind isn't so much getting there, but getting back. This isn't particular to Little Barrier which I have never done, but pushing the limits on a 3.5 Smartwave dinghy, which I have done lots. 

If you were to read the conditions right, have a reliable motor, an unsinkable boat etc then you could head out quite far with a good chance of expecting conditions to hold for a long trip. But then you fish for an hour or three, and when it is time to return things have changed. Your one hour trip out becomes a three hour wet, uncomfortable trip back, eye on the tote tank hoping you have enough petrol...

In a 3.8m boat I would never want to be more than an hour from safety tops. Plenty of fish closer to shore.

For reference, I took mine 10km off the West coast, but did get caught out with sea breezes etc. Never got caught by a big squall, but it could have happened. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now tomorrow would be a day to do it....
matching up the RIGHT weather window with time off work...
Would not happen too often.
OH its closer to 45km.. and dont need to go near the Colville Channel.

I've only owned the boat for a few months
 That is interesting... the intended expectations/ use etc should be considered before deciding on the boat to get...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:51am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Kuzzy
I am certain you could take your boat to Little Barrier and back from Leigh.
But I would like to hear of your own experience on that trip.
Have you been out on other boats to Little Barrier? 
Were they similar to yours or larger?
Do you have any fishing mates who regularly do the trip?
What safety equipment do you carry?
A VHF and Coastguard membership is a minimum requirement in my book

If you have no experience:
I suggest doing the trip a few times as crew with a local experienced boatie. 
For your first few trips do it with another boat - two is company and nearby help if you need it. 
Read the weather signs, most important out there. 
Especially if a Westerly wind kicks in. It can get very gnarly very quick.
Good seamanship is being able to call it a day and head home early.
Just remember this if you have a problem out there, you will need to wait 1 hour plus before Coastguard will get out there to pick you up.

The picture below is departing Little Barrier for Kawau Island in a 9.4 diesel metre launch at 9 knots. The wind is westerly blowing about 20 knots very soon after this it was 30+. A rough trip home. When we arrived it was flat as a pancake.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:23am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I were lad ...

Used to launch off Pukehina Beach in a 12ft Starcraft and head out to Plate Island - about 9 miles. 

Bullet proof I was ... LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:53pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reminds me of a Bob Dylan song,highway 61. Adam said to god where do you want this killing done?  Yes I think it can be easily done out on highway 61
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:40pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

now the serious stuff of what can happen

http://sunlive.co.nz/news/150004-search-underway-near-mayor-island.html

UPDATED 9.33AM: Police have confirmed another search is underway near Mayor Island this morning following the discovery of an overturned vessel.

Waihi Coastguard's Gallagher Rescue is towing the 5.6m fibreglass Sea Nymph, named Optimist, back into Tauranga Harbour.

- See more at: http://sunlive.co.nz/news/150004-search-underway-near-mayor-island.html#sthash.SNXBk9qn.O0O2EJSi.dpuf
Page  12>