Advice on daytime deep dropping for swords

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on daytime deep dropping for swords
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:40am
Dark Horse View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hopefully some of you that have had success in this deep dropping for swords might be able to lend some knowledge on where best for us to try we have given it a few cracks now with out any success yesterday we where in the two spots in the pictures below with no luck the first drop we must have been to close to the bottom as we got a puka but after that nothing.. we are dropping large whole fresh squids down to the bottom with a size 16J hook and a circle hook on top, we tie a 32oz break away sinker about 4 meters off the J hook and have a blue strobe 1.5m up leader and a bigger disco light up by swivel with a smaller 12oz weight aswell, we are dropping all the way to the bottom and winding up about 20 to 30 turns from the bottom then waiting? Dose this sound like semi the correct technique? Or am I way off?

Is this the sort of areas we should be targeting?
Thanks for any advice you can give us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:36pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow you have some serious structure down there. Just had a look at the charts, Staggering. Sorry can't help though sounds like what I'd do.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marloon hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:41pm
Marloon hunter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Get a line counter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wind Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:11pm
Wind Up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice ground and given this I think you may need to really narrow your search down as there is an abundance of good areas to work. I'd go to the steepest drop offs minimum 400 mtrs and fish these. Your rig sounds OK but don't be shy with your lights and sacrificial weights. If need be run up to 4kg of weight but on 15kg max break away to keep tight on your bait. Try to keep around 30m minimum off the bottom - 50 is better??Just stand there and watch the rod tip
Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:55am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can never understand the whole circle and J hook combo thing just seems really really lame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:11am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dark Horse, some awesome structure down there and so close to shore. Where are you launching from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dark Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:46am
Dark Horse View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, yea we are really lucky with the structure we have and it's all so close just choosing where to go is the issue.. we launch from stoney bay I marked it on the top map with a pin. I only use the circle and J hook combo as that's what I have heard a few people are having success with, what's the issue with it? I would have thought the two hooks would be better than one giving you a extra chance to hook up? And 'Wind Up' have done a few with the bigger 4kg weights and 15kg but have had the issue of them not breaking a couple og times and having to wind them back up got pretty painful. But will go back to that and have a few more shots like that. Thanks guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Actual fishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:08am
Actual fishermen View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Can never understand the whole circle and J hook combo thing just seems really really lame.

Perhaps you should keep your really really lame comments to your self or maybe tell your captian and see if he cares... oh thats right your just another deck hand that thinks hes a top fishermen, coat tailing off the success of the boat u are on. Go back to your fly fishing with ya old man and leave this forum to the people that actually own there own trailer boat and are out there doing it without being told what and when to do it .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:14am
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Actual fishermen Actual fishermen wrote:

Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Perhaps you should keep your really really lame comments to your self or maybe tell your captian and see if he cares... oh thats right your just another deck hand that thinks hes a top fishermen, coat tailing off the success of the boat u are on. Go back to your fly fishing with ya old man and leave this forum to the people that actually own there own trailer boat and are out there doing it without being told what and when to do it .

haha about time someone put that dork in his place .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:30am
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Guys that is a bit harsh on Josh, when he is back here in NZ he does do a lot of fishing from his old mans trailer boat, where he runs it himself and gets his fair share of marlin. He knows his stuff.

Josh it would be better when comments are made like that, that you also provide some explanation as to why you think it is a lame rig.

It is partly comments like this from Actual Fisherman and Roofless as to why there are so few reports on here now. Actual Fisherman this was your very first post and you only formally joined the forum an hour or so ago, I hope this is not going to be the line of all of your posts. Provide something constructive or just don't bother.

Moderators if you don't like what I have posted feel free to remove it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:40am
Titanium
Titanium

Dark Horse, that boat ramp looks pretty sheltered, how big a boats launch there and is it a public boat ramp. How often is it calm enough to launch on that coast. Amazing looking place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:52am
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Guys that is a bit harsh on Josh, when he is back here in NZ he does do a lot of fishing from his old mans trailer boat, where he runs it himself and gets his fair share of marlin. He knows his stuff.

Josh it would be better when comments are made like that, that you also provide some explanation as to why you think it is a lame rig.

It is partly comments like this from Actual Fisherman and Roofless as to why there are so few reports on here now. Actual Fisherman this was your very first post and you only formally joined the forum an hour or so ago, I hope this is not going to be the line of all of your posts. Provide something constructive or just don't bother.

Don't blame my comment or the other one on the lack of posts on this forum facebook did that and it's not the first time Josh did a lame post he did it on a Facebook page
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Actual fishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

marlingator u are wrong i have been a member of this forum for 6 plus years under the handle kingy69 and i am one of the fishos that stoped posting because of so many really really lame posts. And your one of those guys. Your kingfish u posted on the walk about that u reckon was 80 pounds on the spirits bay reef....what a joke!
Coat tailing deck hands seem to forget where there got there fishing wisdom from and what about the the fishermen like me that have caught plenty of marlin and swords and had to learn it by trail and error with no body telling us what to do. Nothing wrong with that rig that was mention i use it and plenty others do. So take a back seat marlingator and maybe eat some humble pie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:27am
sink View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pass the popcorn please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe part of the problem is TOO much good ground. Spread out over numerous possible sites?
Maybe a matter of prospecting, or persisting with one or two likely spots?
Any areas yield good numbers of bluenose or frost fish? Maybe prospect near there.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:57pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ease up fellas, You might like to ask Josh what he meant by his comment instead of dismissing it outright. Noted he could have expressed himself a little less confrontingly.

Actual fisherman, you might want to take a look in a mirror next time your concerned about others behaviour on here.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:18pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

enjoying this thread Dark Horse -  Ive had some interesting convo's with different people on this exact topic.  Some say go deeper.  some say closer to the bottom - being so close to the bottom means by catch is alot higher.

And ease up on the slander guys.  Its ridiculous.   JoshW has been around and always had good advise over the years and I for one would be interested in his reasoning -  I could guess but!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow this thread went south fast

please  get back on topic guys - 

unfortunately i dont have any personal experience to offer here, but am watching this thread with interest as would like to give it a go in the future
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Actual fishermen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Ease up fellas, You might like to ask Josh what he meant by his comment instead of dismissing it outright. Noted he could have expressed himself a little less confrontingly.[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Actual fisherman, you might want to take a look in a mirror next time your concerned about others behaviour on here.
[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][/DIV]
i was hopping you would chime in.......seems thats what all you seem to do but wait you got 2000 plus points and i hope they sent you a 2000 points badge so show how much of a legend and wise fishermen you are. This is not joshs first really really lame post. Not only on this forum but on fb as well. I have bitten my lip for long enough when i read dumb posts and let me ensure you from now when i read more dumb posts i will let that person know and maybe with a bit of luck i can tidy this dieing forum up by calling out any dumb post i read.
When i used to be on this forum i was worried about getting in trouble with the mods by calling people out.
I wonder why all the best fishermen in this country don't post on forums and dont have fb.
Now run off to the bathroom and clean your mirror bobby boy
Page  123 4>