Raglan Sword

Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raglan Sword
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I'm still pinching myself over the events of Friday night/Saturday morning. Launched at Rags and headed over the bar about 7pm after getting everything together for the trip after work. Was very breeze inshore and almost thought about heading to Gannet for the night but decided to strt heading for the trench in hopes the breeze got weaker out wider which it did. Was a beautiful night to be steaming out to the trench and an eery and anxious feeling doing an overnighter to a spot some 56nm away from raglan in the dark for the first time ever!!! Was glad to see we had a couple mates out there.
We tried to look for some puka or bluenose sign but not much luck so after an hour or so doing a couple drops we decided to set two baits at about 1am.

2am something has a swipe at our shallow bait which woke us up then it got hit hard..... put the drag up to strike on a 24kg outfit and it screamed across the surface which looked pretty cool with the disco strobe easily visable before it went straight down taking about 300m. Went up and down a couple times and had a some real power compared to a stripey. It came up and did a jump/flip.... I only saw a silhouette but had though it was a big mako the way it flipped and didn't see a bill. We fought it hard since we thought it was a shark but the big deep runs it didn't had us wondering what it was. Second time with about 30m away from the boat it breached and saw a silhouette of a big sword on its face!!!! Were we seeing things???? We didn't know for sure. About the 45min mark it came up and never went back down and didn't fight the same ( later realised tail got sharked ). Once we got it to the leader we could see it was a sword. We had a little team talk to keep our cool and not get overwhelmed if it was to be sword which helped us in the end game. With my mate leadering the fish in I was still harnessed in and made the first gaff shot, then mate came in with another. That's when it started to sink in that we caught the first Sword on rod and reel out of Raglan...... something I had been wanting to do for a couple years now. Once we got it in the boat it was pretty special just realizing what we just did. Took a couple moments cracked a beer and some port and started heading home to get it weighed and processed. First sword for me and the boat so damn stoked.

Cant get the pic right way up?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:46am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome effort guys!
Was fishing the westcoaster and there were people all over mentioning your sword.
Nice work
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:53am
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:03pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wicked effort gowest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:10pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up Nice one Chad Thumbs Up
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:45pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very well done  Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:22pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great effort. My grandson often hangs out at the ramp and tells me about the strippies but he didnt mention this one. Mind you at 9 he probably wouldnt know the difference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1 salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:17pm
1 salty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great work Chad another tick on the bucket list
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:35am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's mean as Gowest..Big ups to you and your crew man.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote #FLETCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:12pm
#FLETCH View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

the bro!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Awesome! Tasty too, good work Gowest!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 3:14pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You earned that fish - a big trip in smallish boat- Much respect!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:10pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To nail one first time out, in short time too. Awesome. Good effort.
You got some good fishing on your doorstep.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:09pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Congrats great effort. Did you stuff a fish up the squid tube? If so what was it. May I ask the size and origin of the plastic lumo squid shown in the first pic? I have looked around on the internet but the one in the pic looks larger than anything I have seen. Aliexpress have some 30cm ones. Also open to input from others who may know a source for these.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:20am
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We jus put a small squid on the trailing hook. I think hooker tackle supplies the lumo squids yep 300mm be bout the right size Id say. That was a swordpro rig my mate had. 2 circle hooks with heavy wire. Pretty simple to rig one up yourself. Small diamond disco strobe about 1 ft away from the bait also. I also put a couple ball sinkers up by the crimp on the shortish bite leader. Pretty much a stray line rig kinda
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:43pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Gowest Gowest wrote:

We jus put a small squid on the trailing hook. I think hooker tackle supplies the lumo squids yep 300mm be bout the right size Id say. That was a swordpro rig my mate had. 2 circle hooks with heavy wire. Pretty simple to rig one up yourself. Small diamond disco strobe about 1 ft away from the bait also. I also put a couple ball sinkers up by the crimp on the shortish bite leader. Pretty much a stray line rig kinda

Thanks for the info, cheers.