Is it possible felt soles were innocent of blame

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible felt soles were innocent of blame
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:46am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

We were told the invasive scourge of didymo was bound to spread unless all river fisho were mindful of their gear & in particular felt soles
being a vector capable of transferring it to other water.

Yet here we are over a decade later after felt soles were banned & we hear very little about the horrible stuff posing the dire threat originally forecast as a likely projection & thankfully still does not seem to have spread to the Nth. Is. waterways.

Personally I have always been puzzled by two aspects namely ...

It seemed as tho it was capable of spreading upstream albeit much slower than down river & that often where a side river joined affected water it had not spread up the tributary. ???????????

Altho it still remains an unproven theory, the report below on the findings of a professor that has studied didymo, certainly makes for interesting reading & to my mind could explain many of the associated  puzzles.

The only thing I am at odds with is the description (quote)
 Seemingly out of nowhere mucus-like, thick gelatinous mats of yellowish -brown algae were found clinging to rocks on the river bottoms (unquote ) Whereas it would be a fair description of the stuff down here appearance wise I have found the actual "feel" is semi abrasive more like sandpaper or shark skin.

What do you think ?

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:56am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think they should allow felt soles again Bazza, can't help but think it's spread to where it wants to spread by now. Apparently introduced to many North Island waterways where it just won't take? I also think fly fisherman are a tiny part of the problem, kayakers, rafters, jetboats, birds all being a more likely culprit, especially kayaks, there is usually residual pooling of water in kayaks between waterway transfers.

Didymo is horrible stuff, I hate fishing infested rivers, but in reality has not proved the end of the world in the waterways infested I have fished, the Mararoa however is just disgusting! It has certainly helped with the demise of the once mighty Buller as well... but fish are still present and more inclined to feed off the top we have found in heavily infested waterways.

Felt soles offer so much more grip, I do miss them!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:25am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

I think they should allow felt soles again Bazza, can't help but think it's spread to where it wants to spread by now. Apparently introduced to many North island waterways where it just won't take? I also think fly fisherman a a tiny part of the problem, kayakers, rafters, jetboats, birds all being a more likely culprit, especially kayaks, there is usually residual pooling of water in kayaks between waterway transfers.

Didymo is horrible stuff, I hate fishing infested rivers, but in reality has not proved the end of the world in the waterways infested I have fished, the Mararoa however is just disgusting! It has certainly helped with the demise of the once mighty Buller as well... but fish are still present and more inclined to feed off the top we have found in heavily infested waterways.

Felt soles offer so much more grip, I do miss them!

Yes Andrew I agree wholeheartedly with the points you make & can't help but feel there are other causes at work other than the organism being spread by river users, be they anglers, kayakers, trampers & hunters etc.

I find the most visually upsetting aspect of didymo is when it has been washed up on the river banks with a spate then dies, turning white when it dries out resembling screeds of used toilet paper.

Like yourself I miss my felt soles ( apart from on steepish wet or frosty grass banks ) & find even studded soles offer far less grip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:38am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess the one plus of Didymo Bazza, is the whole riverbed itself is one giant felt sole! It's fibrous nature makes it very grippy when crossing!... Disapprove
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

I guess the one plus of Didymo Bazza, is the whole riverbed itself is one giant felt sole! It's fibrous nature makes it very grippy when crossing!... Disapprove

All the same mate, reckon I would rather fall in ... something I manage to do quite regularly regardless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gulfgreyhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:50am
gulfgreyhound View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New Light On Rock Snot:
https://www.viu.ca/news/viu-professor-uncovers-mystery-rock-snot
The trouble with some people is that when their not drunk their sober. Yeates,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:33am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by gulfgreyhound gulfgreyhound wrote:

New Light On Rock Snot:
https://www.viu.ca/news/viu-professor-uncovers-mystery-rock-snot

?????? Have you read the opening post of this thread ?????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ozone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:34am
ozone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Phosphorous limitation as the cause of didymo blooms was proved in experiments in New Zealand, they claimed to have been tipped off by it's absence in spring creeks on the Waitaki. Maybe that guy had the idea first though. 

It still has been introduced here, unlike in Canada where it was always present but not blooming. The nutrient balance may have changed but it would have always bloomed in our tailwater rivers if it was there. 

More interesting to me is how the nymphs like it. Fished the Waiau between the lakes last week for the first time since before it took over and it was packed with coloburiscus, not sure exactly how it compares with before though. Obviously that river was always abundant. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gulfgreyhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
gulfgreyhound View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Evidently not closely enough. OOPS,my bad. Ouch
The trouble with some people is that when their not drunk their sober. Yeates,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by gulfgreyhound gulfgreyhound wrote:

Evidently not closely enough. OOPS,my bad. Ouch

No probs .... I have been guilty of much the same more than once !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:18am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Remember that algae bloom on Lake Aniwhenua.....and the big fish?

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:37am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Remember that algae bloom on Lake Aniwhenua.....and the big fish?

May be mistaken but seem to remember the occurrence of big fish happened on two occasions due to :-

(1) As has happened with most man made lakes worldwide the trout grow large when the lake is first flooded due to the fact the fish suddenly have a huge increased area of food available. However as has been proven worldwide, as the fish population increases to occupy this newly formed "food bowl" their average size & weight begins to diminish.

(2) As this steady decline was taking place, out of nowhere came the spread of the dreaded net weed. At first it appeared that it could spell the end of the fishery altogether however for reasons unknown at the time the fish began to increase in size once again. Sure the proliferation of the net weed made the fish more difficult to fish for & catch but it appeared that it held a huge amount of rich food, namely nymph life, a theory supported by the fact fish caught during this era had predominantly weed in their stomachs.

(3) The net weed did not appear to spread to other lakes as was being predicted would happen & in fact in time began to be overcome by the dreaded variety of weed that now clogs up the power station weed screens, requiring the damn to be drained occasionally to clear it. Was told it is scheduled to be drained again very soon therefore anyone planning a trip there would be prudent to check beforehand.

Reckon most people would agree that during its, hey days lake Aniwhenua was regularly producing trophy fish to the extent it was the best chance nationwide to score one. Altho less than most regulars even managed a couple myself & a story was doing the rounds of an angler catching three in one day. Nowadays reckon it would be fair to say that catching trophy fish is a very rare occurrence if at all.