Starting out in spearfishing (advice needed)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting out in spearfishing (advice needed)
    Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:44pm
marksy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I'm looking at getting into spearfishing and am on a low budget as im a student. Just wandering if anyone has any gear suggestions/if anyone is selling off any of their gear. I have a mask and snorkel currently so I'm looking for fins, a knife, a float, a wetsuit and a gun. A family friend recommended I start off with a Hawaiian sling to practice my fish stalking skills, is this a good idea or should I go straight to a speargun?. From the research I've done a 110cm gun seems like a good all rounder but I don't really have a clue. Also is doing a freediving course worthwhile?   Does anyone know of one that's relatively cheap in the Auckland area? I've also been eying up the Mares phantom 5mm suit, I hear 5mm is the way to go because you can wear it in winter and summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Will I Am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:49pm
Will I Am View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think you are on the right track with the gun.  110 gun is great size for a first gun.  There are loads of shops in Auckland and their staff will point you in the right direction.

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 5:57am
harrison View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Like Will says a 110 will keep you going for a few years. Although if you have large testicular velocity then definitely get a polespear, it wont be very productive to start with but will teach you a lot of useful stalking skills and fish behaviour.
A 5mm suit will be ideal up there for winter diving but will get a bit warm in summer. You can always flush some water through to keep you cool though.
Try make or buy a float boat/plat. You will have encounters with bronzies in spring around Auckland, best not to encourage them or lose your dinner.
Rather than paying for a freediving course, look up blue fins on faceplant and do some regular training with them. It will also get you meeting some really experienced local spearos to learn from.
Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:06pm
marksy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone got any advice on fins? I'm 70kg and 6'1 and want something to start off in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:30pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IMO fins make a huge difference to your efforts, also make sure you get your weight belt set right so you are not struggling to get back up, youtube it.

There are so many options for blades, but id go for an all in one to start in the $180ish range given your budget (or half that for used), almost all brands make beginner fins, just google them and check out which has the best amazon review etc. Then move onto pockets and composite fins onces your feet and legs are use to it, dont go too firm to start is all im trying to say.

If you know what you need, look for used gear on trademe including suits. If you are in the North Island 5mm should be ok all year round, although i feel the cold easy and am use to Aussie water. 

The best advice I can give you, if you havnt speared before is find an experienced friend, someone who isnt a cowboy.

I got into it just because my uncles were scuba instructors and when I was a toddler they would have me snorkling around pinnacles, slowly I just got info from them in regards to not using tanks as they would usually free dive when not working. Then in my teens has friends who were into it. So I learnt mostly from other people.

Never go by yourself, never have friends you feel embarassed to ask questions too, never dive beyond your limits, make sure you where a watch. 

Id advise getting a gun over a pole. But before either Id just go free diving and learn how to snoop up on fish. Getting a gun is a big part of the fun for a lot of people. Conversely a lot of people love the hunt of a sling.

So to sum it up, join a club or some friends, ask them what you need to buy, then buy used gear but check it out before you buy it.

Something like this might be a good start, these beuchats are known for being easy on the ankles etc. And then either change the blades to the blacks (competition) or get into Ruku when you get more money. I think they are about $180nzd..... if you look around, or much less used.