idiots in boats running to shore fishers lines

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: idiots in boats running to shore fishers lines
    Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 11:26am
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ive been doing a bit of fishing down the tank farm lately for the usual run of snapper in the harbour at this time of the year and it amazes me the number of boats that cut in close and collect everyones lines.  idiots in sailboats seem to be the worst culprits but there is also a fair few trailor boats doing the same thing.  it doesnt take a genius to see all the surf rods lined up along there and most peoples lines are around 100m out.  the boats have the whole habour to use, us landbased guys are stuck in our 1 postion, i dont understand the mentality of the people that do this.  i have been keeping 1 14 foot rod with nothing but a 5 oz BOS sinker on it.  these boats are getting that sinker cast directly at their boat if im there and a boat is a big easy target that will get hit everytime. maybe when these idiots have to pay for an expensive fix on there gel coat they may think twice about being so inconsiderate in the future
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:29pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great idea... until you kill someone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:45pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

Great idea... until you kill someone

Good advice herby.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 12:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

i can hit a bucket at 100m so hitting the front end of a boat isnt going to be hard.  all the people who cant cast that well are likely to hit someone not even trying so even more reasons for those clowns to stop cutting in so close because most the people that dont know what they are doing wind in and re cast every minute or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 1:02pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

i can hit a bucket at 100m so hitting the front end of a boat isnt going to be hard.  all the people who cant cast that well are likely to hit someone not even trying so even more reasons for those clowns to stop cutting in so close because most the people that dont know what they are doing wind in and re cast every minute or so.

But, can you hit a moving bucket, say one that's exceeding the speed limit & knockin' along at 20 kts?
Now that would be impressive marksmanship LOL

ttm, I know exactly how you feel as I've experienced the same frustrations.
My response was to cast a softbait in front of a jetski that had been flying past numerous times.
The braided line ( 4lb) wrapped around his arm & he stopped to remove it.
I then got the chance to communicate with him & he didn't come back.

However, I have re-thought that act of stupidity ( on my part) many times & am bloody thankful the line didn't go around his neck.

If it had, I'm thinking I'd be probably writing this in longhand from behind four walls.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 1:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

now i admit id proberly struggle to hit a moving bucket at 20 knots but a moving boat, no worrys.  most of them actually go past quite slow and all get a warning to go further out before any casts go out.  these idiots are literally taking out 15- 20 lines in one go.  each one of them has about $5-10 worth of terminal tackle plus if you loose a full spool of line thats another $20.  thats around $600 worth of other peoples property that gets lost everytime one of these idiots do this
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 1:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

the latest fishing news Mark kitteridge has a moan about this exact problem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 2:06pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you need one of those prop fouling rigs they use on the Sea Shepherd boats. A hefty line to a float say 100m+ offshore, either end of where you fish. Pity if probably wouldnt work. (obv. not for JetSki)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 6:07pm
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also now it's in print so could be called premeditated if the crap hits the fan so to speak. be very careful.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:26pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If they are that close why don't you hit them with a paint ball gun. It would get the point across with very little chance of harm. You could use pink Floro, then if your really pissed wait at the ramp for the pink floro boat.

If you can't hit them then pull your head in as they are far enough away.
Pretty easy solution that one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 10:59pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No excuse for those boats to come close and clean up the surfcasters lines. What are they thinking.They have the whole width of the harbour to sail and motor on.
Lack of courtesy and disregard for others .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 11:27pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you cast a sinker at a passing boat, even if it's in the wrong, massive pot kettle black... you're actually worse than the driver of the boat...
Why would you,when you could risk hitting another human, maybe even someone's kid...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:29am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

If you cast a sinker at a passing boat, even if it's in the wrong, massive pot kettle black... you're actually worse than the driver of the boat...
Why would you,when you could risk hitting another human, maybe even someone's kid...

Exactly as I was thinking.
These guys simply dont know better and may well be "idiots" but trying to hit and injure them or their craft on purpose is to me worst.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:06am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

Exactly as I was thinking.
These guys simply dont know better and may well be "idiots" but trying to hit and injure them or their craft on purpose is to me worst.

X3 the act of being ignorant on the boaties part can be rectified.
A break away sinker in the side of a person's head or eyes is going to cause irreversible harm.
Imagine telling the police or the parents of a child that normally you can hit a bucket when casting.
Get real man your doing something that could injure and maim.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 9:07am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

now i admit id proberly struggle to hit a moving bucket at 20 knots but a moving boat, no worrys.  most of them actually go past quite slow and all get a warning to go further out before any casts go out.  these idiots are literally taking out 15- 20 lines in one go.  each one of them has about $5-10 worth of terminal tackle plus if you loose a full spool of line thats another $20.

I'd say that was small change compared to the damage fishing line round a prop can do.  Minimum would be new rear seals because of potential damage, and if they don't notice the damage could easily end up costing them a new gearbox.

Anyone in a powered boat getting close enough to get tangled in fishing lines really is stupid.  Unfortunately that won't stop sailing boats, and some of those seem to think they own the water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 9:31am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just another example of inconsiderate behaviour out on the water. I always give land-based and kayak fishos a wide berth and do the same for boats, even if they are anchored up in the middle of the shipping channel Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:46pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd say that was small change compared to the damage fishing line round a prop can do.  Minimum would be new rear seals because of potential damage, and if they don't notice the damage could easily end up costing them a new gearbox.

Kevin is really on to it there..
Take satisfaction guys.. that line wraps around the prop, and goes down behind.. 99% of the time the wil never notice.. IF there is any visble left around the prop when they get home , they are likely to just chop it off, not remove the prop to find the rest around the shaft
IF it has not already done the seal, it will do it later... If it has done the seal they will not notice....water has or will get in....on a good sized V4/ V6 engine that maybe $1800 for a 2nd hand.. IF can find a good one or Couple or more for new...

The down side it is doubtful f they will relate their close shore stupidity with the now light weight back pocket....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:29pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where is this tank farm spot exactly ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 8:35pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont ever throw a sinker at someone, its lethal.

Swim out and have a polite conversation if they are parked.

It annoys me too, especially at the end of Whangaparoa when they clearly have all the access to Tiri, instead they stop and fish right over your bait. A lot of fisherman, especially inexperienced boaties are like sheep, the only spot they know is the one where other people are fishing. Sad but true. 

I hate being around other people so I usually take my boat somewhere far away when I have 4-5 spots to choose from. Its like that little rock out from Tiri (frenchmans?), on a hot weekend day you can get 20 boats around this tiny reef, all catching Juvi snaps as they have scared all the big boppers to another reef.

The only time i find this behaviour excusable is when a mussel farmer is collecting crop, but the flip side is you should ask the skipper before you start fishing out of courteousy imo. Boating isnt rocket science, but at times I really think we need licenses like my NSW one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont ever throw a sinker at someone, its lethal.

Swim out and have a polite conversation if they are parked.

Really? if these people are going close into lines..they will surely a risk to swimmers in that same area.

I have put warning sinkers over a bow before.. thats when they are in throwing range....
Page  123>