Last day in Paradise - one "Magic" spot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last day in Paradise - one "Magic" spot
    Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

"Epic" last morning straylining sesh with solid Reds from the Bay

With our last day in paradise upon us I was hoping the fishing Gods would be kind to us one more time - over the past 3-4 days on the water and even the sand it had been pretty epic with some great catches.

I had saved a magic little spot for the last day to take Pea, this spot is only a couple of mins run in the boat to the middle of the Bay. Over the years this place has yield some solid Reds to 25lb which ...have all been released to keep this spot producing. I don't think Pea really believed until we started catching some solid Reds with in mins of turning up, even more so when we both got smoked on a couple of big Reds that dusted us in the rough.

This spot is an early morn spot and seems to hold solid fish for a good 4-5hrs until the sun is to high in the sky, this morning didn't disappoint us and lived up to its reputation. Over the morning we didn't really even get a chance to put our rod down before it would double over and even if you got it to a holder with in secs it was buckled over and hooked up. Our last day was heading to be a day of big Red carnage, I could tell Pea was loving it by the yahooing and the growling I was getting when asked to hold the camera - hurry up hurry up the fish are on the bite

There was some solid fish mooching around and while my rod was in the holder (filming Pea hooked up) my rod buckled and it looked like it was a better fish - grabbing it out of the holder I could tell there was some weight behind this one, after a few hot runs I could feel it in the rough and with in secs I had been dusted...all though I was gutted not to see it, it didn't really matter - 1 it would have been put back and 2 I had already had a top morning with some big Reds. We managed to let all the double fig fish go and had to keep a couple around 6-8lb due to being gut hooked, it's always great seeing these big fish swim away...

After setting my rig back up Pea hooked up to another solid Red - he was having the same difficulties I had and once again after a couple of solid runs it had made it to the rough as well. Yip dusted as well and again it was a pity not to see it - I would say both fish we were dusted on would have made that magic 20lb mark but because we had already had some "epic" days on the water in the far North it just really didn't matter....

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Every journey must have its first day and its last,and who knows where the days in between go.

Looking at all those great fish caught it was a great time away and wont be forgotten ,not ever.

Must be good to know those big fish are back down there swimming around their favorite reef ,which by now will be your favorite reef as well. You may even meet up with some of them again sometime.

Been great following the journey.