Cornwallis Wharf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cornwallis Wharf
    Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:18am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Im thinking about taking my son for a fish out off Cornwallis wharf this weekend as we are quite new to the area and never given this wharf a go.

Just wondering how busy it is...I use to hear stories that it is always busy.  Are there still kahawai, gurnard and kingies hanging around this time of year?

Cheers!
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:37pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best option will be to visit on weekdays..! Havent been there for a while but reports from regular visitors indicate that the whole auckland will ve there on weekends..!!
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:43pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingfishers kingfishers wrote:

Best option will be to visit on weekdays..! Havent been there for a while but reports from regular visitors indicate that the whole auckland will ve there on weekends..!!

technicaly this isnt true as most of Auckland will in fact be stuck in traffic..LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:37pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out there tuesday from about 4pm launching boat. Not too crowded at all,even space left in lower carpark. Not sure what weekends would be like,but probably more crowded.

Word i got was lately that the odd legal snapper ,gurnard,kahawai and trevelly had been caught.
Also a great place to catch piper and yelloweye mullet, using small baited hooks and float. Jack mackeral can also be caught there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phoenix_Protocol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 9:26pm
Phoenix_Protocol View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Saturdays and Sundays - 99% chance of constant relentless bombing and swimming, 100% chance of heavy boat traffic, good chance of jetskis and ski boats tearing around.

This sort of activity plays a prominent part in scaring fish and bait away but you never know your luck.

Weekends will be crowded with all sorts of fishermen, but i do find that crowds drop off a little bit over low tide.

Much more room on weekdays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 8:18am
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go a bit further and try the rocks at little Huia.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Salty Bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:59am
Salty Bones View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers everyone.  We took all of this info onboard and decided to go up to Shelly Beach Wharf on the Kaipara instead.  We go there at high tide on Sunday and fished the first 2 hours of outgoing.  There were about 5-7 other people fishing with about 12 rods out in total and one snapper was caught about 1 hour into the outgoing.  

Water was very murky though so I blame this as we were fishing right on the bite time etc...

Few boats coming in to the boat ramp past the wharf way too fast....kind of arrogant.  

The snapper caught was pretty decent though at about 45cm and got the whole wharf excited haha.  My son still had fun and we ended the fish with an ice cream and a beer at the shelly beach shop. 

Will give it another crack soon as other fishermen there saif they normally get a few gurnard and kahawai.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man ta fish and he'll sit on the rocks and drink all day.