Trailer help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer help
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 1:49pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, don't know much about trailers so any help is much appreciated. Our 4.2m Seasurge pontoon is currently sitting on some old junk and i'm planning to get one capable of doing beach launches. 

Got quotes from Hoskings, Mudgway,  DWM, Voyager and Toko which all quoted around 3 - 3.5k. Decided i'll either go with Hosking or Toko. Toko is based in Milton which is really close to where i am (Dunedin) so i figured it'll be more convenient. 

Question, thing is Toko trailer design is different from all others ( standard 2 sets wobbly rollers etc) and  was wondering if it'll affect beach launching/retrieving? Here are some images...

This is the Toko trailer 460:-

Hosking 440 and 480

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 3:41pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure how it will effect in real world - the Toko trailer rollers don't drop at back so would guess in shallow water would be harder to get boat on trailer?  How heavy is boat?  Will you be pushing trailer out (if trailer off vehicle may tend to move forward rather than boat come onto trailer with Toko) or will you have on back of tractor/vehicle when launching? 
I say this because my Mac 420 (boat & motor approx 550kg) on Hoskings trailer with skids not rollers (skids fixed height like Toko design rollers I would guess) was fine if trailer on vehicle, but if detached trailer tended to shoot forward.
Toko sure handy as local though...  
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In past experiences with trailers and beach launching i have found that having a wide gap between the rear roller sets and no frame cut-away means the bow of the boat will push way up in the air and use the center roller as a pivot point upon retreival.
This can be a bit of a pain in shallow water situations.
At least being a pontoon you dont have the rear rollers snagging on top of the chine lip like surtees boats do..... although upgrading to FBNZ alloy trailers eliminates this by having close spaced rear rollers to push the pointy end clear of the quad rollers.
The same thing applys when launching.... with out a cut-away at the back... the boat slides backwards then drops its arse as it goes past the balance point.
Both trailers appear to have no cut-away...this may not be an issue with a smaller boat as the lighter weight etc means you just winch the bugger on.
If those set ups were for a 5 m plus boat....obviously they would require more rollers but in a shallow water situation.... especially retreiving you would be getting a pretty fantastic view of the underside of your hull  unless you unhook from towbar and raise the drawbar up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:51am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can't comment on the Toko trailer other than to say I haven't seen that design before.  It's certainly a way of keeping costs down ...

The lack of a cut in at the back would concern me as others have said.

I have a Hosking trailer that is about 3 or 4 years old and I have been very happy with it.  I would have no hesitation recommending 'The Hosk' to anyone. 

It cost me well over $1,000 to go up to Auckland pick it up and tow it to Nelson.  In retrospect it would have been about the same cost to get it delivered by train or coastal shipping (Pacifica RO-RO).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:19am
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When you talk about cut back you mean this?

Fair point i see what you mean, boat is probably under 500kg, it'll be like a F14 with a 30hp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:01pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep that is exactly right. It allows the boat to be guided on and cradled by rear wobble rollers..... keeping the whole rig at a flatter angle upon launching and retrieving.
I know everyone has differing opinions but for what its worth the trailer in the picture above ...in my eyes... is a far superior design.
cheers
Lance.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:08am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To clarify - if the boat comes up at a steep angle, its harder to winch on, until it pivots into a flatter angle. That happens when its shallow water on a shallow angle, often found on a beach retrieval at lowish tide. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:42pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dream Dream wrote:

When you talk about cut back you mean this?

Fair point i see what you mean, boat is probably under 500kg, it'll be like a F14 with a 30hp.

Yes like that.  But there should be another keel roller aft of the axle beam, so the bow of the boat can't hit the axle.  Looks like there may be bracket for one on the aft side of the axle beam.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeap i see what you all mean, that's why i was abit skeptical about the Toko trailer.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:48am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dream.
Maybe look at having guide poles included in the design?
With removable lights that fit on top of the guide poles.
Also,perhaps a combo pivot rollers with a bunk set up.
Lining the bunks with a teflon  of polyethylene strips will aide with sliding your boat on/off.
With added support from road vibration to the hull.
Go for surge brakes too.
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:18am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Dream.
Lining the bunks with a teflon  of polyethylene strips will aide with sliding your boat on/off.

UHMWPE is the go for bunks.

That stuff is like soap.