Full Moon and Bananas, Mokau

Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (11) Likes(11)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full Moon and Bananas, Mokau
    Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:41pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Hi Geoff, have you seen swell map this Friday, Saturday. Half a metre and light easterlies. I'll touch base Thursday night. 
Thursday - "Looking good, meet you in Mokau mid day Friday and will try for a new PB."
Friday - Met up with Geoff and his wife at their home. A right little slice of paradise with stunning views of the coastline and surrounding hills.  We got the boat and gear set up at Geoff's place before heading off at 2pm.  At the beach we were greeted by a small swell and flat sea's behind.  After getting out the little Mac was positioned in 10 to 12 metres and big baits with big hooks were deployed. Geoff started catching some gurnard and kahawai on his Sabiki rig while I was catching jack macs and some small snapper, thanks to Uncles sabiki rig. After a couple of hours the big snapps had failed to show, so the call was made to head a little deeper.  After only 10 minutes at the deeper spot the stray lines started to get "some interest", as Geoff would say.  A few fish were landed weighing 3 to 5 kg, then my line went tight and the reel starts making that sound we all love.  "It's a biggie" says Geoff as he pats me on the back.  Big head nods and several runs later a snapper arrives from the deep.  Later weighing in around 7.5 kg, a few more fish were caught and released before it was time to head in.  A clean up, a few beers and a lovely dinner prepared by Geoffs wife, Haydee.  
Saturday - We got up Saturday to a very flat sea and a light easterly. A nice easy launch through the swells and we're off.  This time we headed south down coast.  Was today the day i would get a PB.  Once again we sat and loaded up on bait fish, while the stray lines were poised.  After 3 hours, 1 3 kg snapper had graced the bin.  Geoff had mentioned that the fishing is always hard around a full moon.  A little bit of interest was shown in the big baits but nothing was sticking.  "So what else can we blame it on Geoff", "full moon and the bananas we just ate".  No sooner had i said the words and my line started to track back under the boat.  "Only the biggies do that said Geoff".  I struck at the fish after waiting a few seconds and off it went.  The Saltegia whistled a tune, the rod tipped bounced with every head shake.  After a 5 minute fight , up she came.  It wasn't quite the magic number we were after but I was very happy to say the least.  Another 7.5 kg model.  
A big thanks to Geoff and Haydee for their hospitality and great company.  This bloke really knows his stuff about catching big snapps and his photographic records are simply amazing.  It is truly an awesome fishery in Mokau and beautiful part of the country.  I would also like to thank the forum and it's creators.  Without the forum, I would never have met such a legend of NZ fishing.  As Arnie would say, "I'll be back".
Cheers Craig

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:43pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if that was last thursday,I wondered if Geoff would be out,looked mint,Well done on the catch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:46pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome you certainly picked the right days. I would be pretty happy with a 7.5kg Snapper well done.Thumbs Up
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good report thanks Craig, some great fish there.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 6:13am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet Kitno...Nice guiding Geoff
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 7:36am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool report Craig!Look forward your next trip, see if we can get you a PB!Wink Cheers......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:36am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report - I have been out with Geoff and highly recommend it, the trip is memorable and great hospitality - just don't forget to take a few brews along!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:53am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good solid fish~~well done Craig ( & Geoff)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 1:18pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Great report - I have been out with Geoff and highly recommend it, the trip is memorable and great hospitality - just don't forget to take a few brews along!

The beer's were the first thing to be loaded.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 1:21pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Cool report Craig!Look forward your next trip, see if we can get you a PB!Wink Cheers......

I couldn't resist putting that last photo up "the thinking man"
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 3:39pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great report Craig, yep Geoff certainly knows his back yard well.  Big fish heavenLOL

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Frikkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 5:22am
Frikkie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great report! Nice fish! What is your PB Craig, and where? Or is that a personal question...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:38am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

18lb 12oz Fred. Caught at the top of the south island. I got one up the Coro a few years back that may have broke the 20lb but released it without weighing it.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:24pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome read!!! One part of the country i really need to check out!
TAS - Its a real disease