"Horse" Snapper from the far North

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Horse" Snapper from the far North
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:35pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Softbaiting/micro jigging "Horse" Snapper in the far North

With our King fish addiction satisfied with some hot jigging over 2 days in a row our sights turned to tracking down some big far North Reds, our far North trips are usually all about King fish and other reef fish and some great straylining sesh's on harbor Snaps.

Pea and I have caught plenty of big Reds over the years so normally leave them alone but with Pea missing out on my trips for the past couple years we deci...ded to go on a softbait/micro jig mish for big Reds.

With a mint forecast on the cards we decided to run up the coast a bit, we herd there had been a few big fish in the area but had gone a little quiet in the past week or two. I was keen to open up the Honda and take the Osprey for a good run any ways so we geared up to go a little wide for the day, I was keen to venture out to some new ground and drift through the day dropping softbaits and doing a little micro jigging.

we headed off at daybreak and ran for about an hour along the coast, there were birds working all along the way so we stopped occasionally and dropped the Gulp baits and jigs for a bit of fun. With no wind we drifted dropping our baits and metal we would instantly hook up. I was on the new Gulp 5" Blue Fuze and it was getting smashed on every drop, it was great catching different verity's of fish throughout the day to.

We fished an area that was holding some solid fish and managed to boat 4-5 fish around 25-27lb maybe bigger? these things were huge and some were a good 40-45cm high and we lost a couple we just couldn't stop...The great thing was we were able to put them all back to fight another day, Pea's big boy nearly got sharked by a Marko and you can see this in one of the last pics - it was great to get it up in one piece and send it back home.

What a day it turned out to be with some "Epic" softbaiting / micro jigging for some monster Reds in the far North - I'm hopping it will be like this again on my next adventure in Oct

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:50pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mean Clap liked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:56am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff Thumbs Up
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:26am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report Jas makes me question why I don't target snapper any more.
👍 Liked
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 2:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't you just hate it when you get to the boat ramp and the other guy is wearing an identical shirt!! Smile

Awesome work, I love seeing big fish caught on soft baits - gives me hope! Will look forward to the video on YouTube.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 8:49pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome nice report cheers for the pics.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 6:14am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ripper!
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Northern Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 8:56pm
Northern Express View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome again guys,  absolute magic. Jealous, jealous, jealous. Keeps the pics and words coming please!
If cats could talk, they would tell lies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:43pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

Great report Jas makes me question why I don't target snapper any more.
👍 Liked

Hey ya Pete - yea norm don't go hard out but when up North being in those special places just bring it out in meSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:11pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Promotional plug at its best. Well done on releasing em boys.;)
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:46pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Promotional plug at its best. Well done on releasing em boys.;)

Yea love seeing those big boys swim away - it was touch and go with one being harassed by a Marco then took bout 10mins for him to come right - was great to spend that time not giving up and see him slowly disappear back to the depths...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 5:47pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

awesome report and a great day, were you just off Karikari?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Arnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 6:29pm
Big Arnie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hope its like that in 6 weeks time. How far north were you boys.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Mejiro Mejiro wrote:

awesome report and a great day, were you just off Karikari?

Just out in Rangaunu Bay..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:42pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Big Arnie Big Arnie wrote:

Hope its like that in 6 weeks time. How far north were you boys.....

Stayed in the Top 10 Whatuwhiwhi....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 12:50am
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

awesome, I'm in Taipa just over from the estuary so if you or any of the guys here ever want to pitch a tent you're welcome. Only minutes from the boatramp.