kingfish(yellowtail) on poppers in Korea

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kingfish(yellowtail) on poppers in Korea
    Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 3:25pm
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kingfish(yellowtail) are abundant in Korea and catching them on poppers are very popular on boats and from the shore though sizes are not as big as in NZ.

But they seldom use stickbait. The most popular lure is medal pencil popper by skipping the surface. But we got on stickbait and poppers when I fished there with Tsurusaki San of FCL LABO.
I can't wait to fish yellowtail on poppers in Korea in Sept.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:21pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beware....when you fish with Enchanter...they dont allow trebles of any kind..........stickbaits are more popular in nz but if they are on......they would probably eat your sock ! ........take some splashy pops....and strong gear !...some back support might help tooWink...Nice pics....love that one with bent stick in the background.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:50pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don'y know that we have metal or medal pencil poppers here ... yet .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:14pm
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

....love that one with bent stick in the background.
He is Tsurusaki san of FCL LABO. He is one of the best all round jig and pop fishermen I've met among Japanese anglers.

I fished Three Kings on the Cascade in 2005 and 2007.
We jigged on both trips, but it seems popping become popular now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 5:33pm
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

I don'y know that we have metal or medal pencil poppers here ... yet .
I got the medal pencil poppers from Korea as we don't have such medal pencil poppers in the US either  I got wahoo and tuna with them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:16am
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Jigging and popping kingfish(yellowtail) in Korea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:41am
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kil Song Kil Song wrote:

Jigging and popping kingfish(yellowtail) in Korea

Nice footage. Pretty cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 2:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

That guy puffing hard......he would be is serious trouble with a half decent nz kingfish....something 20kg plus....better go to the gym.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 3:00pm
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No worry. It is a just show. :) 
He can handle  big fish. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:45pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That guy puffing hard......he would be is serious trouble with a half decent nz kingfish....something 20kg plus....better go to the gym.

LBD handing out  advise to kilsong and Tsurusaki san...........A new Websters dictionary definition of Irony...
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:47pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Don't underestimate Kil and his mates Jon. They know how to catch BIG fish!
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:17am
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think we could do with some of those Black Hole rods in NZ. I don't think they are sold here, but I have seen that they look to be cool rods. I don't know if we've got anything very similar here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:22am
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Chris, nice to see you here.
It was 12 years ago when you arranged the Three Kings trip for us.
I like to fish there again before too late as I become 69 years old.
Kingfish don't fight like big tuna, but it is fun to catch on poppers with light tackle. 
 I am looking forward to catching them on poppers on my next trip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:43am
Titanium
Titanium

I thought he was going to have a heart attack ! LOL
Plus i thought maybe he was going on your trip to the kings......so looking out for him......
   I have always taken big kings seriously and have done weight sessions before my trips........I wasnt criticizing his skill Tit.....he shouldnt be puffing on rats. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 5:58am
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

while we were shooting a video of fighting bluefish on a popper in front of UN Building in Manhattan,  Mr Shin pulled the fish so hard and the small bluefish flied over our heads and landed on the othe side of the boat. He did puffing too. :)

Mr Shin is going to go to Oman with me for filming.
I am sure he puffs a lot. All TV fishing hosts are the same. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 6:02am
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I observe most angler try to fight too hard for kingfish.
The bigger fish are, the slower you fight. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 7:14am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cool video, thanks for posting!
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kil Song Kil Song wrote:

while we were shooting a video of fighting bluefish on a popper in front of UN Building in Manhattan,  Mr Shin pulled the fish so hard and the small bluefish flied over our heads and landed on the othe side of the boat. He did puffing too. :)

I am sure he puffs a lot. All TV fishing hosts are the same. 
I am sure he puffs a lot. All TV fishing hosts are the same
thats true haha...a lot of them do..Marc berg cries like a baby on a good fish.......they probably dont fish often enough... or are smokers.......unfit.
The only non puffers on nz shows are matt watson(he just cringes and says" Im in Trouble ....im in trouble" )but hes got some grunt for a little fella......Got to give him credit.
The guys off  "Big angry fish" are the best....they dont puff and the one dood benches 1000 pound....so no fish is going to bother him much.LOL
    Jokes aside.....It helps if you get some fitness to fight your fish.
Good luck in Oman mate.....I will go there one day and i will be training for at least a month beforehand...ready to do battleWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 2:07am
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

GT is a powerful fish, but they give up fighting in 10 minutes mostly. 
 But big tuna over 100kg is a different story.  I seldom see anyone land 100kg plus tuna on a popping rod on his first try.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kil Song Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Kil Song View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Jokes aside.....It helps if you get some fitness to fight your fish.
Good luck in Oman mate.....I will go there one day and i will be training for at least a month beforehand...ready to do battleWink
You need to go fishing more. Fishing muscle is different from excersize muscle. Smile 
Page  123>