You guys will laugh

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:21am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are going solo, 3 rods are plenty enough. Remember, the more crap you have hanging out back of boat, the more you have to retrieve, while your TLD 25 is screaming its head off and spool shrinking like crazy. Don't forget you also need to turn boat and chase fish and get line back. Less line in water the better really. The drag goes up markedly when you have lots of line in water. I don't bother getting the other gear in now, until the fight settles down. As long as you don't panic and think ahead, you can leave it in the water - but you have to know where the gear is and where you plan to put the boat. Once you stop the boat moving foward you will need to deal to the gear out the back (and pray you don't get another strike before). Once it gets to a slug out the harness will free your hands and you can get the other gear in the boat. At which point you will be thankful you don't have lots of lines and long way to wind them in (I keep mine on the short side and maybe run one shotgun well back). I don't run all 3 long way out.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offsurfing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 9:51pm
offsurfing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks. That makes alot of sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:38pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pakula.com.au for all your rigging and knot basics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:13am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tie a 1m double in the end of the braid using a 50 turn bimini twist (google is your friend!) Connect a 200 lb wind on leader via a loop to loop connection. Kaveman on here will sell you a pre-made wind-on. The wind-on will allow you to reel the fish right alongside the boat. The wind-on will have a snap swivel to attach the bite leader. Lures and live rigs you can buy pre-rigged (check out the buy/sell listings on here.) Keep the bite leader on the lure or live rig short (1.5-2m) otherwise you defeat the purpose of the wind on. Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote offsurfing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:00pm
Silver
Silver

Hi Cool

Wanted to go raglan this weekend but mates at springsten.

Think I'm ready.
3x 24kg roller rods
1x shimano tronis 30
1x shimano tld 25 80lb braid (8 fibre) 850m (second is ordered but wont arrive in time)
1x shimano tld 15 50lb braid (8 fibre) 500m

2x big marlin lures, 2x medium (5 more ordered but won't arrive in time.

Considering a teaser cluster

Have a boat tether, a harness and a good gimble belt.  (getting gloves this weekend.

Anything else I need. Apart from getting out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cut lunch!
Good luck. Envious from further South. Thinking of same.
Skippy lures and live bait rig?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:52pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't forget gloves, flying gaff, spare gaff, tail rope, safety knife and have it all laid out in the cockpit and readily accessible and your harness strapped on BEFORE a fish hits!!!
And it may sound a bit lame but when a skippy hits, practice what you would do as if it was a marlin. Good luck!
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offsurfing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 9:49pm
Silver
Silver

Ok. Weathers poos this weekend out wide for my boat. So fingers crossed for next weekend as temp drops.

Local guy at Mike at fullon fishing in Hamilton did me a deal to replace braid to 50lb braid with 37kg shock on the tld25 and 24kg shock and30lb braid on the tld15.

I may miss this years Marlin but I'm ready for 2018. Cause its all in the planning and prep. (Obviously getting out there is key....)

I'm making home made pvc things that sit out the side to spread the lures over the winter.

Bought a teaser and a boat winch to wind a beast onboard if I get lucky.

I'm buying a small eprib over winter cause if I'm on my own and fall over while towing lures I'd be screwed. (I'm going to wear a spring suit, eprib, and extend my engine cut out cord and have a water proof iphone holder as well as my life jacket. and researching and making a basic guide for when I'm out there to pick signs and maximize my chances but being safe.

Cause as usual it will end up me on my own 60km offshore I'm sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offsurfing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:22pm
Silver
Silver

Right months of planning. Now its game time.

My big decision is aldermans or mercs for sailfins.

As a spearo its been a great summer out from and around the mercs, and hoping schools from Whanga over the last week are heading north.

5 knots forecast so will decide first thing. I'm picking 40km out from Whitianga is the sweet spot for this weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:08am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go for it and best of luck👌👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Page  <12