South Of Mokau, Snaps Galore!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Of Mokau, Snaps Galore!
    Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:35pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, finally an opening on Sunday for a beach launch after four weeks of westerlies and big seas. Although not off me local beach, towed the Mac South Fifteen K's to a sheltered bay by Tongaparutu. The waves there always half the height as Mokau when its a bit big as it was. Generally don't rate it as good fishing but after the morning we had will definately visit spot again. Had long time fishing mate Steve with me. Sweet launch we were fish'n by 8.30 am. First hour quiet, even struggled to get bait. Then the next two hours was like a plaque of Snaps decended below the boatBig smile Wot ever we sent out on the Straylines got smashed. They were on a feeding frenzie! Only caught two smaller Kahawai as bait plus a bag of pillies. So we just kept recyling the skin and heads with a pillie tied on and wam would catch another. Sizes were good with smaller ones 4 kg's and some 9 kg's which we let go as we had enough for friends and family. Steve insisted on a couple of reasonable ones to take home. thats him in photo holding them up. Other photo of a good one just to break surface by boat before we let it go. Although not a familiar area we lined up with beach same sort of distance out to favourite spots. Got me fix for month so not grumpy any moreLOL Was eager to see if any action on Naki Game fishing front after the good weather but no posts. Pirate still nothing Happening?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 6:17am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geoff as always I am left stunned...what is it about that area and Snaps?  Amazing and great fishing!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:17pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Geoff as always I am left stunned...what is it about that area and Snaps?  Amazing and great fishing!
Hi John thanks. A  few points making it a good fishery are the weather and sea usually crap most of the time, you cant get out. The Maui Dolfin zone allows no coms here. Never gets hammered, usually just locals and surrounding area guys fish it. My boat i use being plastic quiet like a kayak, ideal for Straylining in close like i do where alot of the bigger fish mooch around. Cheers.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:23pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish once again Geoff, your a legend!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:15pm
pirate View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You answered your own question Geoff in the 1st paragraph.. 4 weeks off westerlys and big seas!. so nothing to report yet. not far now i would guess, 18.5 degs out off npl and heaps of saury and big albys n good blue water.. the ssts dont favour us but who knows what will happen with the weather/currents.. nothing like last year thats for sure. good to see you letting some moochers back.. the kinas get get sore under the armpits after a while Big smile