Nice evening on the Manukau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nice evening on the Manukau
    Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Radman and I launched about 5.00pm yesterday and tried a random spot near where we've been doing well. On the way we saw some action on the surface it was a bit choppy and hard to see what it was. I was hoping for kingfish but all we saw was a big school of small kahawai. We trolled a lure around them and hooked one which was ok for a livebait but not the kingfish we wanted. We couldn't find them again so we dropped anchor in 6m.

Rob caught a nice snapper there but mostly it was small fish. While I was trying to catch a Jack mackerel on a little jig I hooked a fat 44cm gurnard but after an hour all we had were the two fish so we moved to 3m to get the start of the incoming tide.

We arrived at our chosen destination, about 100m from where we firsst stopped in time for the tail end of the outgoing tide. There was a lot of red weed in both places and fish won't bit if you have that on your bait so it needs to be cleared every few minutes. Luckily the fish at the second spot didn't take long to find our baits.

This is  typically what we were catching, but we let a heap of small legal fish go too . Rob also caught his first trevally, not huge but a nice little fish for the pan

We finished the day of with another first for Rob, a kingfish that sneaked itself into our bin at 77cm, pretty good catch on the 4000Baitrunner and BBE rod.

Went home with a nice catch on a flat sea at 9.00pm

So a great evening on the water and a couple of first for Rob. He needs to learn the golden rule though: ALWAYS let the skipper catch the biggest fish! Big smile

He pretty much matched me fish for fish and for a while he had me worried as there were only his catch in the bin.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report - liked.  Yeah that red weed - killer with big tides!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 8:23pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dirty ol red weed !
We had a bit of that about where we were too .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hope you Manakau guys remembered to buy a Snapper licence. Aren't you meant to be catching heaps of Gurnard and leaving all those Snapper for us East Coast guys!!!

Nice looking bin there boys!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 9:59pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Smudge, liking the variety in your bin.
Interested if you are typically using burley during a session like that?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 11:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Tag it the West coast snapper are too big and cunning for a hauraki gulf fisherman to catch. Skunk I use Berkley if we have it but we didn't use any yesterday. I do chop up chunks of bait and throw them in at slack water. We went out again tonight but it was a total contrast to yesterday. Biggest snap was 33 or so and we went home with four snaps for three of us. The weed was twice as bad as yesterday. And it was rough. And it was cold
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:46am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Tag it the West coast snapper are too big and cunning for a hauraki gulf fisherman to catch. Skunk I use Berkley if we have it but we didn't use any yesterday. I do chop up chunks of bait and throw them in at slack water. We went out again tonight but it was a total contrast to yesterday. Biggest snap was 33 or so and we went home with four snaps for three of us. The weed was twice as bad as yesterday. And it was rough. And it was cold
Good to hear bad trips as well as good!  Thanks for your honesty not just me after all.  That weed is a problem in inner harbour on big tides more so than outer harbour?  Only struck a little bit on Huia bank yesterday, though probably indicates more food around as well?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:54am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Good to hear bad trips as well as good!  Thanks for your honesty not just me after all.  That weed is a problem in inner harbour on big tides more so than outer harbour?  Only struck a little bit on Huia bank yesterday, though probably indicates more food around as well?

I think the bad trips are every bit as important to read about as the good ones Mac. Last night the tides were near perfect, although an hour earlier would have been good. Yet the fishing was way worse than the night before. The main factor was most likely the dirty we were fishing in that wasn't there 24 hours earlier. Having said that, the wind was just as strong and from the same direction and the tide was pretty much identical.

Then again, sometimes it is possible just to overthink things. Maybe the fish just weren't hungry!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a very commendable catch Smudge, nice range of species too.
Re tides. Do you prefer big tides on the Manukau or the smaller tides.
Or fishing the low as opposed to the high.

I remember last year going into the shallows -3meter on the low while waiting for the tide to come in enough to retrieve the boat.

Caught a few nice fish doing that. They sure as take and fight hard in the shallows with a fast current.