New Rod/Reel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HB_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rod/Reel
    Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:03pm
HB_Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

I'm after a new Rod/Reel as i've been using a cheap rebel sport combo ..

After a 14ft rod. Looking to spend 300-350 at the most.
Have looked at all options but really not sure on best brands/quality in that price range..

Will be 99% surfcasting in the Hawkes bay
Cheers in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mihi.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:51pm
Mihi.T View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ask 4 people and you'll get 12 opinions. 

I'm not much of a brand whore, but $350 will get you a pretty sweet combo whichever way you go. Daiwa and Shimano are fairly safe options. Silstar and Penn too.  I even have an old (over 5 years) Jarvis Walker eggbeater  that refuses to die.

Stretch it to $400 and you have a graphite rod with an 8000 series casting reel, which should be the last gear you need to buy, until you decide you really really need that Xantu 14 footer and Zillion Mag reel Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:21am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought an okuma x factor 14 foot 3 piece recently and i must say.....the build seems very good for the price....good guides as well.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.