Fiji GT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Suva Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiji GT
    Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:38pm
Suva Boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Caught this at Lukuri Habour, Fiji in Dec using Fin Nor LT100 coupled to a Daiwa Saltist popper rod. The popper was a Black Magic one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 4:44pm
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Congratulations, that's a great fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work. Very dark fish - do they colour up based on their surroundings, eg darker over foul areas, silver over sand?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:08pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The very dark black ones are the dominant male fish of a territory according to info I read at the aquarium in Hawaii.  On my list of fish to target some day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:31pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome fish, would have put up a great battle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 3:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

I've heard it said that kingies are as tough as any fish in the world, pound for pound. But GTs look like they'd give them a run for their money, judging from the footage I've seen of GT fishing in Australia (on ET Fishing Escapes and other shows, the fishing addiction guy on Choice TV). Lock and load on big Stellas, Saltigas etc.

The other interesting thing is that from the videos I've seen GTs seem to go more for poppers blooping along, whereas stickbaits seem to be more effective on kingies.

Either way, a beast to tangle with and a real test of equipment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 4:16pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sailed up to Rarotonga a few years back, and this French guy speared a huge Black GT just outside the harbour entrance, thing was a horse!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 4:44pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Arnt GT's affected by ciguatera in Rarotonga? wonder if that french dude ate it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Suva Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:19pm
Suva Boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes it did... I was impressed at the way the Fin Nor performed. Bloody heavy to cast with though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

US reel reviewer Alan Hawk highly rates the Fin Nor Lethal at the lower end of the budget range for what he calls 'offshore' spinning. Excellent max drag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:40am
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:42am
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's my biggest GT caught in fiji.My dad used to make poppers for gt.
135bls on 30bls line daiwa gs9 reel.
May be world record.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:45am
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:38pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

135bls GT on 30bls line, daiwa gs9 reel.... That's a legendary catch alright.....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 9:30am
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yap all legit.U can see faintly the daiwa gs9 reel.Still got the reel with me.