Whangarei Heads, land based spots?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whangarei Heads, land based spots?
    Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 10:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just heading up for a week in Feb, just wanted to know if there is any fishing spots there. As we sold the RIB, Ive got my trusty old 8foot rock rod, was hoping there might be an Easy Access rock platform around Taurikura bay or anywhere around the Heads?

Just going to chuck unweighted snelled pillies for a laugh, dont expect much success, but havnt fished for 6 months due to developing lung issues. But back to 80% health now so time to dip the mono.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 7:20am
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Many yrs ago 15+ used to walk around to the southern point of that bay to fish into edge of a channel but not sure if access is still public or private which seems to be the case more often these days sadly.I think there was a wharf there that is now disused I believe? keep going around past that. wasn't bad fishin in evening but can't get around at full tide from memory which isn't to flash at the best of times. But there is a wharf at urquarts bay if walking is an issue as well.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave_) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:16pm
Dave_) View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was just up at taurikura bay on the waterfront for a week mate, very nice. If you go round to the right of the bay there are a few spots to fish. Over the high by the boat sheds there is a big round rock, fire out into the bay at night, I got some nice 35-40cm snaps. Or on the other side of the same bay over the low. Evenings best as pretty busy during the day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 5:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FF if you drive to the end of the road at Urquharts bay then either go up the hill through the farmland and there you will see Smugglers bay, down the bay to the right is Busby Point, there are rod holders there, but it is a popular spot many go early to avoid the crowd. Or go left and find some rocks to the northern end of Smugglers towards Peach cove. 

Or back at the carpark head for the gun emplacement area and then walk along the coast and find your chosen rock there a few options there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:37pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

^^^Those might or might not be classed as "easy access" depending on fitness/ability.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fitness level low.

Im wondering if its possible to walk to Frenchmans rock point and fire out into that channel, is that a marine reserve anywhere in this area, is it private, or do I need Iwi consultation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:51pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about walking from Oceans beach, around the rocks to the right all the way to the southern tip? Im use to say Army Bay heads Whangaparoa 45-60 mins walk ins, I can handle that. Im just not sure if that area is cut off by high tide?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:56pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that's fitter than most of us LOL 
No fishing reserves and no other requirements except no dogs.
The fishing on the RHS rocks at Oceans can be ok too but mostly Kahawai. Take burley. 
You aren't going to be able to walk far towards the old woman (Bream Head). Alternatively walk along to the left about 1/2 an hour to the rock outcrop. Shallow but can produce at times.

Busby easy well made tracks (Lots of ways to get there) all the way to Busby point and spots in between. 
Frenchman is an Island. The gap is too deep to wade across at any tide and lots of current too. Boats go through that gap, Be a bit hairy swimming it. Seen it done by spearos but not that often. 
Walking to the Frenchman/Busby along the coast can be done at low tide but it's not the route I'd take, big rocks etc to negotiate. Scenic route is up and along the top but the best route approx 35 minutes. Head over to Smugglers and then either follow the track to the right or if low tide follow the beach along. For the hardy you can stay on the coastal route to get to the point where most target Kingfish else join the track again, up and over the saddle to Rodholders. Route can be a little tricky first time as track runs out. Fairly good fishing but lots of tiddlers this time of the year. 
If you remain on the track around the harbour side and fish into the harbour say below the gun emplacement (shorter walk) then expect a few Kahawai too. 
Turning left at Smugglers (tide out) you have a reflectively short trip because a gut blocks any further passage. Fish off the sloping rock not long before it. There is just enough room for two. Last couple of hours of low is all you can do though. If you get this spot right you'll be fishing into a sandy area in amongst the kelp so less gear lost.  I haven't fished this spot for a few years so don't know if the "clearing" still exists. 
Good luck. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:18am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fudge my rock rod needs a service, all i have is my soft plastics rod and reel. although ive landed a kingy on that before and it can flick and unweighted snelled pilly a mile.

still not 100% on what you are saying but ill figure it. where is safest place to park so when i get back my pirellis havent been taken with my hubs lol

what would be my EASIEST option out of all of them, say 5-10 min walk to land a few KY and maybe a snap if im lucky?

ive never been to oceans beach, looks pretty safe to park there too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:25am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm that hill at end or urqhuarts rd where you park and its all deforested is that public land or farm? can i walk over that to smugglers, then on to the rock platform where frenchmans is?

the right hand side of that tip looks the deepest, it might have less boat traffic too and is easier than walking through the bush and i presume a descent. just walk around the sandy beach onto the right hand platform facing out to the ocean? 

just worried that might be private land that deforested track.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:50am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not private land, you can walk over it no prob at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:25pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fun fun fun. Do I need my hiking boots or will my trail runners (asics with lugs) do the job?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:55pm
Silver
Silver

Not to much of a mission as I have walked it all in gumboots bud.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:58pm
Silver
Silver

And anywhere you go these days your wheels may not be safe! Sad but true
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:26pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's the walk I was talking about.
Don't bet that the RHS (assume you're looking at if from the sea not the land) is a better/easier place to get to. You're right about it being deeper and current makes it good for Kings. 
Plenty of current at both points so your unweighted pilly won't stay in the zone long. 
If you keep to the harbour side as the track splits off near the start your walk will be a easy track and if you run you can cut the time down to 10 minutes Big smile. Also you should be able to cast unweighted baits to the Kahawai. 
Alternatively you can fish off smugglers bay/beach you'll catch naff all but the walk is less than 1/2 way. 
This time of the year there should be plenty of folks about fishing the areas just do what they do. I'd offer to go with you but come the summer I almost never venture there. 

Your goodies will be safe there. I've NEVER had an issue in the end carpark at Urquharts and I've parked there literally thousands of times. Started in 1983. In those days it really was a mission. No tracks straight up near cliffs, but the fishing was to die for. 
Bait was never safe, seagulls during the day and possums at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:28pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Krow, what about the rocks to the right of Smugglers, shouldnt be too much current their, unweighted pillies be ok there? 

I didnt taken my wettie with me and gun only did a walk to suss the area out, fished and speared around tutukaka, BOI, then karkari, lastly a surf fish from 90 and into the hokianga channel, which was surprisingly good but needed to used a grapnel sinker, main that place has a mean current.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:16pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you've had a good tripThumbs Up

Fairly shallow and I've never fished there. Walked past others there and never seen a fish caught. I figure if I've gone to the trouble to get that far might as well do the walk too.