Ponui in N/W winds

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ponui in N/W winds
    Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 9:59pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What would the firth side be like in N/W winds. 2nd and 3rd bays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 8:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lookat a map.. the distance the wind has to whip up a chop down thru  or across the Furth.
2nd bay would be good.. like any lea of land.. but head out of KK, unless heading west and going around into the lea of ponui could be rough

Depending on the  wind strength thu...and boat size.
Fortunately we dont get many easterlies, but can still get ocean swells coming in from that direction...get them plus wind against tide.. a change in wind / tide can have the area get a bit hairy very quick.
  Bottom line  look at lea of land as route, lea of land destination, tide/ swell and wind direction.

Basically its just looking at a map with a little common-sense...and if dont have the experience or familiarity with the area , keep well on the conservative side in small boats.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:44pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looked at a map, figured out the general sheltered area by using a bit of common sense.
I even looked out the window in the morning to see how
the bay looked. All this plus fairly experienced in using my smallish yet sea worthy boat.

Only reason I asked opinions was to double check on my thoughts about the bays for the winds.

Thanks for the input. Was realitively sheltered where we went and even managed to hook and get x2 15kg kings to the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check this out

http://www.swellmap.co.nz/forecast-maps

The distance between iso bar.. Taupo to nth cape is basically calm
Swell height and period... bigger the period bigger the distance between waves, the more calm.
And surprisingly actuate even 5 to 7days out... but in change of main seasons..  unsettled weather, Autumn and spring the long distance weather windows can move 8 or 12 hrs by the time they come around... sometimes
 If you compare with local tide tables you will see the changes also take into account currents.