Aluminium boat advice needed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneStop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminium boat advice needed
    Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:41pm
OneStop View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All!

We're thinking of purchasing a 5.5 to 6m ally boat for fishing & cruising in the SI hi country lakes, Akaroa and Lyttelton harbour and maybe some occasional good weather offshore fishing.

Budget is below NZ45k, ideally below 30k.

So my favorite is:
1. Surtees 5.5 or 575 workmate - for their flood-able keel that improves stability.

...but they seem to be quite expensive. Alternatives are:
2. Ramco 5800 interceptor
3. McLay
4. Frewza.

* Does anyone out there have the Ramco 5800 interceptor? How does it handle rough conditions?
* Can anyone who owns any of these boats advice pro or against?
* Are the two stroke engines very noisy?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 6:42pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My extreme enduro 550 with 115 bombardier Johnston will be for sale shortly- been a fantastic boat and will get you offshore fast. 45knots. Tried to keep after I bought a launch as it was a super safe fast strong boat with a lot of whistles. But the missus is anti me having two boats....I don't understand her sometimes.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:51pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 5.6m Ramco Interceptor and it does the job for me. Ride is a very subjective thing and no boat is great at everything but for an all rounder I don't think you can go too far wrong with these. The 5.8m Interceptor is the newer model, mine is a 2005 with a 90hp 2 stroke. Not overly noisy and unless your doing lots of miles on the water (like a charter operator) it would be hard to justify the price difference between 2 and 4 stroke unless you intend on trolling a lot with it. The deck area was slightly bigger on my Ramco vs a Surtees too. There will be those that disagree with me but I have been in a Surtees 5-5 in snotty weather and I wasn't that impressed, but then again maybe mine may have not been any better?? I just don't choose to go out in ugly weather. The McLays are well built and nice too, a mate has one (5.6m) but couldn't say much more on them. If you can get out for a run in each...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:08pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One Stop, my first piece of advice is buy local.
You have some really great alloy manufacturers in the South Island offering really good value so start with them. Add Lazer, Southern Boars and Stabi to your list.

Look at all the options.
You do not mention how many folk will be on board - family of 6 or just a couple?
Besides cruising, trout fishing, sea fishing, skiing or wake boarding.....
What kicks your family into gear? Can you do it with 60hp or do you need 150hp.
Pick a base line boat to start the search then buy better. Like this brand new Frewza F18 with 100hp four stroke for less than $40k.... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-1235504432.htm
Now you can bargain with value like that. 
Good hunting