Kina, fulltank...happy holly days

Page  <1234 177>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 11:35am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey snap - I love that spot where you're anchored - look up the cliff/bush and my place is right there! Nice boat! I saw you out. Next time I'll give ya a yell.

Well after getting a small taste of action on Saturday morning (above) - even though the eyeballs were hanging out from total lack of sleep...I got up at 2am Sunday and got sorted (no @#$livies biting though) however I had bought a few piper and off to Anchorite I set. Burleyed for 2+  #%$%   hours, one little snapper! Then the kingies came in, the birds took to the bait fish I had burleyed up and it was all on! I had up to 30 kingies chasing a retrieved bait - I actually out-reeled the rats to keep them off my line - I was watching them and gauging size to 'choose' which one took the bait. Unbelievable really. The polaroids were out of this world - watching packs of big kingfish all around the boat, smashing the baits right on the surface. Another boat arrived as I had one on.....once they managed to stop drifting right through my burley trail within a few metres of my boat, they anchored up because they were " sick of watching me catch fish". They were great people, a man and wife with livies on board - but the Kingies weren't that interested, the only thing that was really working was fast retrieves on the surface. They hooked into a good one which the lady brought in, great to see and we were all hooting and holloring! Really, really great fun.  A few boats turned up around 11ish  and were trying to hook a few - I left because I was releasing 30lber's and ran out of piper, oh yeah and I was absolutely knackered! My old Shimano Baitrunner 6500 and fibreglass rod was doing the business. 10kg line was all. But a massive grin from ear to ear and some excellent kingfish steaks in the fridge now ! Oh and on other boat got a snapper of about 12lbs - his personal best - great to see too.

This has been a long time in the waiting, a trip like this. I probably hooked and released etc a total of around a dozen 20 to 30 lb Kingfish. And yes I am going to sod-off from work sometime this week and try again!

Cheers all you guys - you've helped a massive amount, there is no way this  would have happened without the information shared here. Now that I am a complete and total expert on Kingfising (ha ha ha ha ...) anything I can help with, let me know. Probably what not to do!! heh

Must sleep..... 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 3:06pm
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roath - cheers for the report mate! Yes it was tricky fishing. I thought it might get better on dark and then the phosphorous came out . Still lovely day out with 8 snaps for our effort. Spoke to others at the boat ramp and it ends up we did quite well (some had none).

Quote: Originally posted by Espresso on 09 January 2006

Hey snap - I love that spot where you're anchored - look up the cliff/bush and my place is right there! Nice boat! I saw you out. Next time I'll give ya a yell.

Espresso - do you mean the Wade river (1st pic) or Matiatia hole (2nd pic)?

There was a work up of kahawai at the entrance to the Wade that day (30.12.05) and we drifted quietly through a couple of times, aided by the wind and scored a big sea kahawai each time on floating squid (you probably saw me cleaning them when I anchored). A couple of boats saw us and put out spinners and drove back and forwards through the school so this put a stop to our drifting (alll they managed to do was scare the fish to the bottom and did not seem to be succesful). The family loved the spot and we will be back (give us a holler if you see us)!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 3:13pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work chaps!!!! i lived in Stillwater for 12 years and its fair to say alot of my fishing experiences took place out from there. 15lb snapper whilst tied to the Port hand marker . . .  30lb kings off the reef at the mouth of the Okura. Espresso . .  it sound like me old haunt is now youy front door step ,. . .champion! Will yaz be out fishing this weekend?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2006 at 6:19pm
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: Originally posted by keenason 09 January 2006- "Will yaz be out fishing this weekend?"

Does a fish piss in the Sea?

Either I'll take my boat to work and leave about 3pm, or do a dawn or dusk on the weekend. I believe a place in closer fires this time off the year (Jan can produce consistent 2-3kg fish with bigger ones thrown in). Always good for a look on the way out (sometimes I don't leave).

Mid afternoon Jan 02/04. The kids caught this and a few more. Last year was good too!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 8:13am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i know mate . . . dumb question! Im doin the usual 4am launch at Hatfields on staurday and will more than likely do the same on sunday, head to Brazier and see if i cant have a bit of fun with a kingi or two.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 8:27am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Sounds good Keenas.

Was gonna do the same but me mate with the boat has something on so may give it a miss this weekend

Hows the forecast looking?

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 8:47am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

weathers not looking to bad at this stage. I'm taking a mate out with me saturday. JK would you be keen to join me on sunday . . . . based on weather etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:19am
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keenas - where is Brazier? How far from Hatfields? If its not too far I might tow the boat up and buddy with you (only 4.6mtrs with 50hp - but very reliable).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Dish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:44am
Fish Dish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Snap, Braziers is out from Wenderholm. Not that far from Hatfields. Have never launched at Wenderholm as I dont know how much water there is when the tide is out. Does anyone know if you can get in and out of the Wenderholm ramp at low tide.

Would be okay in the evening at the moment as high tide is in the evening but you know what its like when you are fishing, if its good you want to stay and if its bad you stay because it may get to be good.

One more Kingie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:45am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snap . . .  Brazier rock is about a ten minute steam form Hatfields, in a good sea state, Its at the mouth of the puhoi river (Wenderholm regional park). It would be easier to luanch at wenderholm but the gate isnt open till 7am or sometime around then  . . . .  far to late . . . the day is half over by then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 9:47am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish Dish . . .  depends on how big your boat is. My brother n law has a haines V198 and can only go 3 hrs either side of the tide. The ramp is of a shallow angle and then it drops into the channel from memory. Dead low tide i think there is only a metre or so of water through the mouth and can be unpleasent on th ebbing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 10:13am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

keenas - yeah I could be keenas for that, weather permitting ofcourse.

4am launch you say? and backs about when?

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 10:24am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm normally home by 9-9.30am. Where you comin from mate ? And sorry its a 4.45am launch! i get up at 4 . . .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:05am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Im in glenfield mate so just up the road. That time suits me fine. Keep an eye on the weather and in touch. I'll supply bait - let us know what we need
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:11am
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet mate. bag o pillies and a berley bomb.

Snap . ..  whats your plan of attack? gonna buddy up ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:21am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Done. Just a 1kg pilly bag?

Can always catch liveys / bait fish anyway eh

One thing i've realised is that we use a ****load less bait and berley out in the boat compared to off the bricks.

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:30am
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keenas - I'm keenas. Sunday looks like an incoming tide and westerly. Lets catch up on Fri/Sat by private messanger or my cell is 021 414 880. What is the best way to fish here for kings (livies, rapala, poppers, Zest). Are there snaps around Brazier?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 11:31am
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry image didn't work - try this http://www.swellmap.com/showgraph.php?id=487
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeenAs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 12:36pm
KeenAs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snap . . .  all those methods could get something to hit, kings can be fickle pr#$ks at the best of times. Snapper, may have to go a bit deeper for them . . . to be honest i've not targeted snapper there.

JK . . . I'll grab some salted bonito for catching livies etc. I may even collect a few on saturday morning so all we have to do on sunday morn is get some livies.

lets keep an eye on the weather and think many positive thoughts of hungry kings!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2006 at 12:45pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Brazier holds snapper but usually a lil further back  off the reef as can be quiet shallow and was pretty clear up there last sunday morning
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  <1234 177>